Rear car rack

Can anyone recommend a rear car rack ? Wiggle have basic 3 bike
hollywood design (which Ive heard good things about) - any others which
are ok ? The car is a mini people carrier type, so quite high hatch at
rear. Didnt want roof one particularly as car is already quite high -
difficult to lift bikes up to rails I thought.

Any advice welcome !

[email protected] wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a rear car rack ?

www.roofbox.co.uk should be your first port of call - just dib in your
car make and model and it will give you a list of recommended options.
Plus a load of other useful information. (I have no connection with the
company except as a very satisfied customer.)

Note that if you are going for a rear-mounted carrier, it is a good idea
to get a "stand on" type, rather than a "hang on" type, unless you
really want to scratch your car's paintwork.

Wiggle have basic 3 bike
> hollywood design (which Ive heard good things about) - any others which
> are ok ? The car is a mini people carrier type, so quite high hatch at
> rear.

About a year ago, I bought (from the above website) a Tradekar Jumbo to
go on the back of my Renault Scenic. It was bought so we could take the
family bikes on holiday to France and was well up to the task. Neither
the most expensive nor the cheapest option, but definitely recommended
for an MPV type car. On the Scenic, you could even open the boot with
the carrier in place. It carries three bikes but you can also get an
adapter for a fourth.

Unfortunately, we no longer have the Scenic (it was written off in
November) and the carrier won't fit on the replacement car, so it is now
sitting unused in the shed. It was only used for that one trip, so is in
pretty much as-new condition.

If you like, it's yours for £90 (costs ~£140 new). You'd have to
collect, though (I'm in east Kent). Let me know by email if you're
interested.

d.

I've done quite a lot of driving in Scotland and around the islands
(often poor roads, sharp angles getting on and off ferry ramps etc)
with a Scenic and the basic Hollywood three bike hang on variety and
have never had any problems Just use a bit of sense and hang the bikes
as high as possible, e.g by rear wheel and underside of downtube rather
than by hanging the bikes from underneath their top tube. The
occasional cardboard box in the boot can be ripped into bits to stick
between any bits of bikes coming into contact with each other which
might cause scratching. It's worth a bit of time experimenting with
alternative ways to hang them to see which is the best fit for your
bikes. Also take time to rotate the pedals to give biggest possible
clearance from car paintwork; if you hang the first bike on with
handlebars at the driver's side of the car then the drivetrain is
facing out, away from the paintwork with less risk of damage to car or
bike.

Whatever way you hang your bikes, make sure they're secured tightly -
as tightly as possible - with lots of bungees, and locked to the
carrier (I find a PVC-sleeved coil type lock is good for this).

I have just bought a Saris Sentinel rack for two bikes for £39 at
Wiggle. They have 3-bike designs as well. Seems to be well-built, folds
away nicely and the straps used to secure the bikes look pretty solid.

I really liked the Bones rack though. Pretty expensive, but the design
rocks.

Chris