rear cassette help

Joshua Goldberg

Guest
I am having a hard time removing a rear cassette, anyone here know IF it needs a slot screwdriver to
wedge between the cassette and the hub before you unscrew it...nothing else I tried worked so
far...just not sure the screwdriver idea will make it worse. It went on really easily and then
clicked (never remember hearing a click before) and thinx it may be a locking mechanism on the
collar. I hate having to take it to my LBS for something that should be sooo simple.

"Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> I am having a hard time removing a rear cassette, anyone here know IF it needs a slot screwdriver
> to wedge between the cassette and the hub before you unscrew it...nothing else I tried worked so
> far...just not sure the screwdriver idea will make it worse. It went on really easily and then
> clicked (never remember hearing a click before) and thinx it may be a locking mechanism on the
> collar. I hate having to take it to my LBS for something that should be sooo simple.

I was told you need a chainwhip. Or a sprocket holding tool as Shimano calls it. Basically a lever
with two bits of chain on. Havent used mine yet so no idea how you do.

M.

Joshua Goldberg wrote:

> I am having a hard time removing a rear cassette, anyone here know IF it needs a slot screwdriver
> to wedge between the cassette and the hub before you unscrew it...nothing else I tried worked so
> far...just not sure the screwdriver idea will make it worse. It went on really easily and then
> clicked (never remember hearing a click before) and thinx it may be a locking mechanism on the
> collar. I hate having to take it to my LBS for something that should be sooo simple.

Joshua,

You would probably get better advice if you informed the group of the make, model (and year if
known) of the cassette and hub.

Have you read Mr. Brown's advice? < http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html >

Joshua, Since I'm too cheap to buy a chain whip ,I just use an old section of chain wrapped around
the cassette . clamp both ends of chain in a vice hold cassette in a rag or use gloves ,works fine.
BTW the clicks you heard are normal,the locking ring has "bumps on it ,they click as you tighten it.
I assume you have a lock ring tool for the cassette though,without it you are screwed and will have
to go to LBS. The chain whip and cassette tool are not expensive and you should have them if you
plan on doing this type of work in future. Ben Fox "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
> I am having a hard time removing a rear cassette, anyone here know IF it needs a slot screwdriver
> to wedge between the cassette and the hub before you unscrew it...nothing else I tried worked so
> far...just not sure the screwdriver idea will make it worse. It went on really easily and then
> clicked (never remember hearing a click before) and thinx it may be a locking mechanism on the
> collar. I hate having to take it to my LBS for something that should be sooo simple.

Thanx My wife is walking the wheel to the LBS as I write this. The shop charges only $4.00. As my
wife was leaving she said...at this rate we are going to put another one of his kids through
College....a reference to a xmas card we got 2 years ago from the owner of my LBS who said my trips
to his shop paid for one of his kids to complete College. Another LBS I called said I'd have to
leave the wheel overnite due to all the REAL bikes they had to work on...the mechanics told me they
consider bents to be recreational toys (I try and avoid that LBS). I will buy some bike tools and a
book, it just seemed easier to let other people do stuff for me.
----------------------------
"Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Joshua, Since I'm too cheap to buy a chain whip ,I just use an old section of
chain
> wrapped around the cassette . clamp both ends of chain in a vice hold cassette in a rag or use
> gloves ,works fine. BTW the clicks you heard are normal,the locking ring has "bumps on it ,they
> click as you tighten it. I assume you have a lock ring tool for the cassette though,without it you
are
> screwed and will have to go to LBS. The chain whip and cassette tool are not expensive and you
> should have
them
> if you plan on doing this type of work in future. Ben Fox "Joshua Goldberg"
> > I am having a hard time removing a rear cassette, anyone here know IF it needs a slot
> > screwdriver to wedge between the cassette and the hub
before
> > you unscrew it...nothing else I tried worked so far...just not sure the screwdriver idea will
> > make it worse. It went on really easily and then clicked (never remember hearing a click before)
> > and thinx it may be a locking mechanism on the collar. I hate having to take it to my LBS for
> > something that should be sooo simple.

Joshua, In addition to the chain whip and sprocket tool previously mentioned, here is a tip. Hold
the sprocket tool in place with the quick release lever and nut. It is usually a good idea to remove
spring from the quick release nut before you use it to hold the sprocket tool in place. Do not
tighten it too much or it will keep the cassette lock ring from turning. I am not much of a mechanic
but even I can do that task.

Since I am not married I have to use a Black & Decker WorkMate to hold the wheel while I
remove the cogs.

"Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Joshua, Since I'm too cheap to buy a chain whip ,I just use an old section of chain wrapped around
> the cassette . clamp both ends of chain in a vice hold cassette in a rag or use gloves ,works
> fine. BTW the clicks you heard are normal,the locking ring has "bumps on it ,they click as you
> tighten it. I assume you have a lock ring tool for the cassette though,without it you are screwed
> and will have to go to LBS. The chain whip and cassette tool are not expensive and you should have
> them if you plan on doing this type of work in future. Ben Fox

This is the method I use, too. However, I clamp the chunk of old chain in a pair of locking pliers
(aka Vise-Grips). I can then unscrew the lockring on the cassette with a smallish wrench.

BTW: when you get around to putting it all back together, don't crank down on the lockring too much.
It's only there to hold the cassette on, not stand up to your pedaling torque. Light hand pressure
works for me.

Jeff