Rear Coaster Brake

Vze2m3pe

Guest
How much "play" should there be on a rear coaster brake? It seems when the pedal is pressed, there
is about 4 - 5 inches of movement before the brake takes effect.

This is a childrens 20" bike.

Thanks

In article <[email protected]>, vze2m3pe <[email protected]> wrote:
>How much "play" should there be on a rear coaster brake? It seems when the pedal is pressed, there
>is about 4 - 5 inches of movement before the brake takes effect.

That sounds sloppy to me, my coaster brake has less play than that and it's probably not been
serviced for 40 years. Most of the popular coaster brakes are not very hard to overhaul and a guts
kit can be found at a bike shop - call around and let them know which hub you have. Sometimes you
need to find an old "family" bike shop, Schwinn dealer type place or shop that specializes in BMX.
If the rim is also in poor shape then you may find replacement of the whole wheel is better - often
you can find a wheel (maybe on a bike) at a garage sale or Good Will store for almost nothing.

--Paul

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D7Vsa.34943$A%[email protected]...

> That sounds sloppy to me, my coaster brake has less play
than that
> and it's probably not been serviced for 40 years. Most of
the
> popular coaster brakes are not very hard to overhaul and a
guts kit
> can be found at a bike shop - call around and let them
know which
> hub you have. Sometimes you need to find an old "family"
bike shop,
> Schwinn dealer type place or shop that specializes in BMX.
If the
> rim is also in poor shape then you may find replacement of
the whole
> wheel is better - often you can find a wheel (maybe on a
bike) at
> a garage sale or Good Will store for almost nothing.

Just pull it apart, clean and regrease it, adjust the bearings, and you'll be fine. Though they have
a few extra parts, they're no more complicated than any other hub.

Matt O.