Rear Coaster Brake

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Vze2m3pe, May 3, 2003.

  1. Vze2m3pe

    Vze2m3pe Guest

    How much "play" should there be on a rear coaster brake? It seems when the pedal is pressed, there
    is about 4 - 5 inches of movement before the brake takes effect.

    This is a childrens 20" bike.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, vze2m3pe <[email protected]> wrote:
    >How much "play" should there be on a rear coaster brake? It seems when the pedal is pressed, there
    >is about 4 - 5 inches of movement before the brake takes effect.

    That sounds sloppy to me, my coaster brake has less play than that and it's probably not been
    serviced for 40 years. Most of the popular coaster brakes are not very hard to overhaul and a guts
    kit can be found at a bike shop - call around and let them know which hub you have. Sometimes you
    need to find an old "family" bike shop, Schwinn dealer type place or shop that specializes in BMX.
    If the rim is also in poor shape then you may find replacement of the whole wheel is better - often
    you can find a wheel (maybe on a bike) at a garage sale or Good Will store for almost nothing.

    --Paul

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D7Vsa.34943$A%[email protected]...

    > That sounds sloppy to me, my coaster brake has less play
    than that
    > and it's probably not been serviced for 40 years. Most of
    the
    > popular coaster brakes are not very hard to overhaul and a
    guts kit
    > can be found at a bike shop - call around and let them
    know which
    > hub you have. Sometimes you need to find an old "family"
    bike shop,
    > Schwinn dealer type place or shop that specializes in BMX.
    If the
    > rim is also in poor shape then you may find replacement of
    the whole
    > wheel is better - often you can find a wheel (maybe on a
    bike) at
    > a garage sale or Good Will store for almost nothing.

    Just pull it apart, clean and regrease it, adjust the bearings, and you'll be fine. Though they have
    a few extra parts, they're no more complicated than any other hub.

    Matt O.