rear cogs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lee Tharps, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Lee Tharps

    Lee Tharps Guest

    woah, I've only got six cogs in my rear cluster.

    Will replacing that be hard?

    _______________________________
    M Lee Tharps Dept of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University [email protected]
    www.espasticity.net

    319 Morewood Ave Apt 18 Pittsburgh, PA 15213 ,-._,-. \/)"(\/ (_o_)
    (412) 687-2521 / \/)
    (413) 901-4785(mobile) (|| ||) oo-oo
    ______________________________

    Tags:

  2. You can still find six cog clusters (right next to the boxes of hen's teeth, LOL),

    Actually, it's not that bad. BUT, if you're thinking of adding more cogs, you may have a problem. A
    seven speed will fit, but for eight or (heaven forbid, more speeds, you'll need a different hub with
    a longer axle.

  3. Lee Tharps

    Lee Tharps Guest

    it's a mongoose switchback, not sure how old, but I would guess from 1996 or so.

    I would be happy with another six speed as long as I can get a smaller small gear. I currently have
    13 teeth on my smallest gear. I'm looking for speed. I just came from riding my bike and I was
    spinning out going down a really shallow grade, and almost got run over.

    _______________________________

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Mark Janeba wrote:

    > Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:
    > > You can still find six cog clusters (right next to the boxes of hen's teeth, LOL),
    > >
    > > Actually, it's not that bad. BUT, if you're thinking of adding more cogs, you may have a
    > > problem. A seven speed will fit,
    >
    > Not necessarily. In the early days of SunTour's ultra spacing, near 1980, there were lots of bikes
    > made with 120mm spacing and ultra-six clusters. A seven won't fit those without at least a new
    > axle (and preferably a re-dish and a rear triangle widening).
    >
    > We need to know more about the fellow's bike to answer his question.
    >
    > > but for eight or (heaven forbid, more speeds, you'll need a different hub with a longer axle.
    > >

    > --
    > Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

  4. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

  5. On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:37:49 -0400 (EDT), Lee Tharps <[email protected]> wrote:

    >it's a mongoose switchback, not sure how old, but I would guess from 1996 or so.
    >
    >I would be happy with another six speed as long as I can get a smaller small gear. I currently have
    >13 teeth on my smallest gear. I'm looking for speed. I just came from riding my bike and I was
    >spinning out going down a really shallow grade, and almost got run over.

    Well, if it was made with a freewheel in '96 (this is a guess, it could still be a freehub system.
    If it's a freehub, the hub will most likely have a bulge at the right side, and the spacers in
    between each cog will be the same size.), then it's pretty low end, and low end spares for these
    should still be available (top of the line expensive stuff pretty much isn't, but that's not a
    huge issue).

    What you need to do is clean the ring part of the freewheel directly around the axle (you might have
    to remove the wheel to do this), and find out what brand the freewheel is. Probably Shimano.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html The articles there
    might help you determine what kind of beast you have, and what to do with it.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html has various replacement freewheels, but I notice
    that in 6 speed there's no set starting under 13.

    If you have a frame/rear wheel with 126 mm spacing and you use friction shifters (as opposed to
    indexed), you can fairly easily upgrade to a 7 speed freewheel of which there is one that starts at
    11. If you use indexed shifters that reside on the top of your mountain bars (resembling
    http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1024 ), you can get new shifters as well for about
    the same outlay again of just the freewheel.

    Another option to get higher gears might be to increase the size of the front chainrings. Your
    chainrings might either be bolted or riveted onto your cranks. If riveted, you'd need to replace
    your entire right crank.

    Oh, and one last thought: If you're pedalling so fast you can't handle the bike properly any more,
    coast. You don't necessarily need to keep pedalling the bike unless you ride a fixed gear, which
    very few people do.

    Jasper

  6. Bobqzzi

    Bobqzzi Guest

    They are quite common and cheap see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#6

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:37:49 -0400 (EDT), Lee Tharps <[email protected]> wrote:

    >it's a mongoose switchback, not sure how old, but I would guess from 1996 or so.
    >
    >I would be happy with another six speed as long as I can get a smaller small gear. I currently have
    >13 teeth on my smallest gear. I'm looking for speed. I just came from riding my bike and I was
    >spinning out going down a really shallow grade, and almost got run over.
    >
    >_______________________________
    >M Lee Tharps Dept of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University [email protected]
    >www.espasticity.net
    >
    >319 Morewood Ave Apt 18 Pittsburgh, PA 15213 ,-._,-. \/)"(\/ (_o_)
    >(412) 687-2521 / \/)
    >(412) 901-4785(mobile) (|| ||) oo-oo
    >______________________________
    >

    >On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Mark Janeba wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:
    >> > You can still find six cog clusters (right next to the boxes of hen's teeth, LOL),
    >> >
    >> > Actually, it's not that bad. BUT, if you're thinking of adding more cogs, you may have a
    >> > problem. A seven speed will fit,
    >>
    >> Not necessarily. In the early days of SunTour's ultra spacing, near 1980, there were lots of
    >> bikes made with 120mm spacing and ultra-six clusters. A seven won't fit those without at least a
    >> new axle (and preferably a re-dish and a rear triangle widening).
    >>
    >> We need to know more about the fellow's bike to answer his question.
    >>
    >> > but for eight or (heaven forbid, more speeds, you'll need a different hub with a longer axle.
    >> >

    >> --
    >> Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

  7. Bobqzzi

    Bobqzzi Guest

    although a smaller small cog is not available is six speed. Msot likely you can just screw on the 7
    speed 11-34 freewheel, which may require a new rear derailer..but those are alos quite inexpensive..
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers.html#rear

    The tourney mega range works fine

  8. Lee Tharps wrote:
    > woah, I've only got six cogs in my rear cluster.
    >
    > Will replacing that be hard?

    Not real hard. Selection isn't what it once was and not everybody stocks them. You just have to know
    where to look. If your local bike shop doesn't carry them, then here's one place:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#6
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#6u

    You can also find them on Ebay.

    It helps to have the appropriate freewheel tool to remove the old one. If you don't have one, your
    local bike shop can probably remove it for you for less than the cost of the tool. Hopefully you
    don't have an old regina as I've found many bike shops don't seem to have that tool anymore. I had
    one on a used wheel I bought and I had to wait a few days for the old guy bike mechanic to show up
    and then he had to go home to get the tool since the shop itself didn't own one.

    --Bill Davidson

  9. Bandjhughes

    Bandjhughes Guest

    Lee Tharps <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > it's a mongoose switchback, not sure how old, but I would guess from 1996 or so.
    >
    > I would be happy with another six speed as long as I can get a smaller small gear. I currently
    > have 13 teeth on my smallest gear. I'm looking for speed. I just came from riding my bike and I
    > was spinning out going down a really shallow grade, and almost got run over.
    >
    > _______________________________
    > M Lee Tharps Dept of Chemical Engineering Carnegie Mellon University [email protected]
    > www.espasticity.net
    >
    > 319 Morewood Ave Apt 18 Pittsburgh, PA 15213 ,-._,-. \/)"(\/ (_o_)
    > (412) 687-2521 / \/)
    > (412) 901-4785(mobile) (|| ||) oo-oo
    > ______________________________

    Try this link--but it looks like the 6 speeds all have 13 teeth as their high gear. You may have to
    go to a 7-speed Freewheel assuming you have enough spacing.
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#6

    Brian

  10. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Lee Tharps <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > it's a mongoose switchback, not sure how old, but I would guess from 1996 or so.
    >
    > I would be happy with another six speed as long as I can get a smaller small gear. I currently
    > have 13 teeth on my smallest gear. I'm looking for speed. I just came from riding my bike and I
    > was spinning out going down a really shallow grade, and almost got run over.

    Still not enough information- if it's a "freewheel", then you won't easily find a replacement with
    fewer teeth. If it's a "cassette", you might be able to fit a 12-tooth small cog- but that's pretty
    rare, also.

    Sheldon has excellent explainations of the differences and how to spot them:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html#freewheel

    Jeff

  11. Lee Tharps <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > it's a mongoose switchback, not sure how old, but I would guess from 1996 or so.
    >
    > I would be happy with another six speed as long as I can get a smaller small gear. I currently
    > have 13 teeth on my smallest gear. I'm looking for speed. I just came from riding my bike and I
    > was spinning out going down a really shallow grade, and almost got run over.

    Six speed freewheels are available, although they are not cheap and the selection is much more
    limited than it was when they were on every new bike. Try doing a Google search on "six-speed
    freewheels". I know Yellow Jersey sells them.

    Six speed cassettes, I'm not sure about. I haven't seen any advertised.

    Tom

  12. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest