Rear der adjustments/dialing it in

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    You know, I've always hated the rear der, but I hate it now
    more than ever. I swear, for the past week I've been
    fantasizing bout SS'ing my DH rig. Who the hell needs 9
    gears on a DH bike anyway... I'd be happy with 3, and could
    definitely make do with 1.

    <<end rant>>

    So, anyway, I'm having trouble dialing in my Ultegra der. I
    pretty much have the H and L adjustments done, but it's
    skipping 8th, 2-3 and sometimes 5. Any suggestions on
    dialing the bastard in? I'm using a third hand dealy thing
    to pull the cable really tight?? Maybe not tight enough ???

    If you're thinking about suggesting checking components for
    wear, don't; everything is brand new.

    --
    Slacker

    Btw, did you guys notice that Harris Cyclery is hiring?

    Tags:

  2. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    > So, anyway, I'm having trouble dialing in my Ultegra der.

    Here's your problem. Ultegra = road not DH ;-)

    I actually find the rear easy to work on compared to the
    front. But, I don't think I can put into words how to really
    dial it in.

    did you try sacrificing a chicken?

    if you want the rear derailleur bolt converted to one of
    those special "round" anti theft fasteners I'm sure Sorni
    would give you a hand.................

    Michael

  3. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > So, anyway, I'm having trouble dialing in my Ultegra der.
    > I pretty much have the H and L adjustments done, but it's
    > skipping 8th, 2-3 and sometimes 5. Any suggestions on
    > dialing the bastard in? I'm using a third hand dealy
    > thing to pull the cable really tight?? Maybe not tight
    > enough ???

    How did you end up with an Ultegra derailleur on a
    downhill rig?!? Did you mean XT, perhaps? (Freudian Roadie
    Lingerie? ;-)

    Anyway, adjust the H limit screw so der. is just a tad
    outside smallest cog (no cable yet), and L so it's exactly
    in line with big.

    Make sure shifter is released all the way -- pull cable
    quite tight -- screw in the fastener dealie. (Oh, loosen the
    barrel adjusters at both ends all the way and then back a
    turn or so, too.)

    {Here's where following the Shimano insert paper helps.}
    Turn cranks and shift up one click -- adjust barrel until
    chain moves (maybe even until it starts rubbing 3rd smallest
    cog -- not sure about that part) -- basically playing w/
    cable tension until shifting works right from both extremes.

    Are you SURE an ultegra can handle mountain gear ranges?!?

    Bill "maybe those SS'ers *do* know something" S.

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Michael Paul wrote:

    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >

    >>So, anyway, I'm having trouble dialing in my Ultegra der.
    >

    > Here's your problem. Ultegra = road not DH ;-)
    >
    > Michael

    Don't make me drive down to SD and rip up your local trails
    with my little "roadie" equipped Turner! ;-)
    --
    Slacker

  5. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    S o r n i wrote:

    > Slacker wrote:
    >
    >>So, anyway, I'm having trouble dialing in my Ultegra der.
    >>I pretty much have the H and L adjustments done, but it's
    >>skipping 8th, 2-3 and sometimes 5. Any suggestions on
    >>dialing the bastard in? I'm using a third hand dealy
    >>thing to pull the cable really tight?? Maybe not tight
    >>enough ???
    >

    > How did you end up with an Ultegra derailleur on a
    > downhill rig?!? Did you mean XT, perhaps? (Freudian Roadie
    > Lingerie? ;-)

    No, I meant Ultegra. Btw, I also have an Ultegra cassette.
    That der is actually semi-popular with some of us because of
    it's cost and very short cage.

    > Anyway, adjust the H limit screw so der. is just a tad
    > outside smallest cog (no cable yet), and L so it's exactly
    > in line with big.
    >
    > Make sure shifter is released all the way -- pull cable
    > quite tight -- screw in the fastener dealie. (Oh, loosen
    > the barrel adjusters at both ends all the way and then
    > back a turn or so, too.)
    >
    > {Here's where following the Shimano insert paper helps.}
    > Turn cranks and shift up one click -- adjust barrel until
    > chain moves (maybe even until it starts rubbing 3rd
    > smallest cog -- not sure about that part) -- basically
    > playing w/ cable tension until shifting works right from
    > both extremes.
    >
    > Are you SURE an ultegra can handle mountain gear ranges?!?
    >
    > Bill "maybe those SS'ers *do* know something" S.

    Cool thanks... that's what I need!
    --
    Slacker

  6. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > S o r n i wrote:
    {snippage}
    >> {Here's where following the Shimano insert paper helps.}
    >> Turn cranks and shift up one click -- adjust barrel until
    >> chain moves (maybe even until it starts rubbing 3rd
    >> smallest cog -- not sure about that part) -- basically
    >> playing w/ cable tension until shifting works right from
    >> both extremes.

    > Cool thanks... that's what I need!

    I can see Michael Paul rolling his eyes right now.

    Bill "and Miles, too" S.

  7. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > No, I meant Ultegra. Btw, I also have an Ultegra cassette.
    > That der is actually semi-popular with some of us because
    > of it's cost and very short cage.

    I used an Ultegra BB with my XTR crankset for quite a while
    -- in fact, it still works fine but the damn middle ring is
    shot. (XTR BB lasted maybe 6 months.)

    I can see where a close-range roadie cassette would
    work for DH.

    Bill "but you have to wear a skirt" S.

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    S o r n i wrote:

    > Slacker wrote:
    >
    >>No, I meant Ultegra. Btw, I also have an Ultegra cassette.
    >>That der is actually semi-popular with some of us because
    >>of it's cost and very short cage.
    >

    > I used an Ultegra BB with my XTR crankset for quite a
    > while -- in fact, it still works fine but the damn middle
    > ring is shot. (XTR BB lasted maybe 6 months.)
    >
    > I can see where a close-range roadie cassette would
    > work for DH.
    >
    > Bill "but you have to wear a skirt" S.

    I don't do skirts, but I do wear a pair of these underneath
    my bad ass armor
    http://www.pennybell.com/acatalog/LB1207(Large).JPG
    --
    Slacker

  9. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    "S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Slacker wrote:

    > Are you SURE an ultegra can handle mountain gear ranges?!?
    >
    > Bill "maybe those SS'ers *do* know something" S.

    it's relatively common to use an Ultegra when only using a
    single chainring up front. Heck, even Eric the Red ran an
    Ultegra on his Klein for Idyllwild and he has three
    chainrings. granted, he was also running a Dura-Ace cassette
    in the rear with a 27 tooth but still.

    Michael

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:30:14 -0700, Slacker wrote:

    > You know, I've always hated the rear der, but I hate it
    > now more than ever. I swear, for the past week I've been
    > fantasizing bout SS'ing my DH rig. Who the hell needs 9
    > gears on a DH bike anyway... I'd be happy with 3, and
    > could definitely make do with 1.
    >
    > <<end rant>>
    >
    > So, anyway, I'm having trouble dialing in my Ultegra der.
    > I pretty much have the H and L adjustments done, but it's
    > skipping 8th, 2-3 and sometimes 5. Any suggestions on
    > dialing the bastard in? I'm using a third hand dealy
    > thing to pull the cable really tight?? Maybe not tight
    > enough ???
    >
    > If you're thinking about suggesting checking components
    > for wear, don't; everything is brand new.

    As if. Clearly bad workman syndrome... :)

    Drop the derailleur in to the the smallest cog and set the
    adjustment screw. Loosen the bolt that clamps the cable and
    tug on the cable so that it's taut. Do up and make minor
    adjustments with the barrel adjuster.

    Couple of extra points. What size cassette are you running?
    If you're using a short cage mech with a wide ratio cassette
    it could be causing you problems.

    Are you sure that the action of the rear swingarm isn't
    putting tension on the cable and causing ghost shifting?

    Have you got ferrules on the end of each bit of outer?

    If all else fails, go with SRAM - the 1:1 shifting ratio
    gives you much more room for error.

    > Btw, did you guys notice that Harris Cyclery is hiring?

    But they've already got a guy called Jon Harris - that would
    just get confusing...

  11. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    DH rig,use a 7 or 8 speed internal hub. Heavy but isn't DH
    heavy. Like 40 -50 lbs heavy then okay.

    I MTB 2004

  12. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Some of the DH Pro riders use Ultegra rear derailleurs.

    I MTB 2004

  13. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
    > You know, I've always hated the rear der, but I hate it
    > now more than ever. I swear, for the past week I've been
    > fantasizing bout SS'ing my DH rig. Who the hell needs 9
    > gears on a DH bike anyway... I'd be happy with 3, and
    > could definitely make do with 1.
    >
    > <<end rant>>
    >
    > So, anyway, I'm having trouble dialing in my Ultegra der.
    > I pretty much have the H and L adjustments done, but it's
    > skipping 8th, 2-3 and sometimes 5. Any suggestions on
    > dialing the bastard in? I'm using a third hand dealy
    > thing to pull the cable really tight?? Maybe not tight
    > enough ???
    >
    > If you're thinking about suggesting checking components
    > for wear, don't; everything is brand new.

    How's the last loop of housing going into the mech.? If it's
    too tight it may cause shifting problems there. Pop in a V-
    brake noodle (like on my Bullit) or use a Rollamagig. The
    cable doesn't have to be banjo string tight either as Jon
    mentioned.

    Mike

  14. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

    > How did you end up with an Ultegra derailleur on a
    > downhill rig?!? Did
    you
    > mean XT, perhaps? (Freudian Roadie Lingerie? ;-)

    It's about the short cage... the road RDs can handle more
    capacity than you might think, especially with a single
    front chainring. In this case, there's only a 11 or so tooth
    difference.

    Have you honestly never heard of using road RDs on single-
    chainring bikes?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  15. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:

    > How's the last loop of housing going into the mech.? If
    > it's too tight it may cause shifting problems there. Pop
    > in a V-brake noodle (like on my Bullit) or use a
    > Rollamagig. The cable doesn't have to be banjo string
    > tight either as Jon mentioned.
    >
    > Mike

    That was the first problem I encountered. The cable/der
    angle are really bad <http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/slac-
    [email protected]/detail?.dir=/8f10&.dnm=4011.jpg>

    I just picked up a Rollamajig the other day. I always
    wondered what those things are used for... now I know. It
    seems to have done the trick; the shifting is nice and
    tight/crisp now. I had pulled the cable too tight. Loosened
    it up a little, a quick H/L adjust and :) !

    Ironically, it's been raining here almost all morning :-(
    Gonna have to wait to get a real test in.
    --
    Slacker

  16. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    bomba wrote:

    > If all else fails, go with SRAM - the 1:1 shifting ratio
    > gives you much more room for error.

    Just saw a <http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/sram_%20x.0_re-
    ar_derailleur.htm> (on a Giant DH) in the flesh on Thursday.
    Very, very nice. It is the first RD I've ever seen that had
    the cable angle perfect right out of the box.

    Thanks for the help.
    --
    Slacker

  17. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
    > bomba wrote:
    >
    >> If all else fails, go with SRAM - the 1:1 shifting ratio
    >> gives you much more room for error.
    >>

    > Just saw a <http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/sram_%20-
    > x.0_rear_derailleur.htm> (on a Giant DH) in the flesh
    > on Thursday. Very, very nice. It is the first RD I've
    > ever seen that had the cable angle perfect right out
    > of the box.
    >
    > Thanks for the help.

    Add to that the new SRAM trigger shifters. Thumb only
    operation keeps your fingers on the brakes or around the
    grips where they belong. Very crisp action too. I'm
    seriously considering them for my DH ride.

    Mike

  18. Michael Dart

    <http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/de-
    tail?.dir=/8f10&. dnm=4011.jpg>

    > I just picked up a Rollamajig the other day. I always
    > wondered what those things are used for... now I know. It
    > seems to have done the trick; the shifting is nice and
    > tight/crisp now. I had pulled the cable too tight.
    > Loosened it up a little, a quick H/L adjust and :) !
    >
    > Ironically, it's been raining here almost all morning :-(
    > Gonna have to wait to get a real test in.

    The Rollamajig came integrated on the first XTR rapidrise
    rear. It worked great. Dunno why the got away from it except
    it may have added two whole grams of weight!

    Mike

  19. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:

    > Add to that the new SRAM trigger shifters. Thumb only
    > operation keeps your fingers on the brakes or around the
    > grips where they belong. Very crisp action too. I'm
    > seriously considering them for my DH ride.
    >
    > Mike

    Hey... where'd you see this thumb shifter? I don't remember
    hearing about them and I couldn't find anything on SRAM's
    website. Will they work with the X.0 der?
    --
    Slacker

  20. martinjlowe

    martinjlowe Guest

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:32:28 -0700, Slacker <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Michael Dart wrote:
    >
    >> Add to that the new SRAM trigger shifters. Thumb only
    >> operation keeps your fingers on the brakes or around the
    >> grips where they belong. Very crisp action too. I'm
    >> seriously considering them for my DH ride.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    >Hey... where'd you see this thumb shifter? I don't remember
    >hearing about them and I couldn't find anything on SRAM's
    >website. Will they work with the X.0 der?

    I'm using one of the rocket triggers for Shimano rear
    derailleur, I'm very impressed with it. The X-7, X-9 and X-0
    triggers are for the SRAM Rear mechs
    http://www.sram.com/mtb/components/x9/trigger_shift.asp

    MArtin