Rear der. conundram

I fitted a Shimano Megarange cassette to my road bike (Dawes Comp.
Giro 300) to try and ease the symptoms from my knees. In order to take
up the larger chain slack I also changed the Sora 8 der. for an Alivio
8 der.

I can't get the der. to change to the low sprocket, apparently because
the jockey wheel isn't far enough out from the axle. The 'b' screw is
fully in. What options do I have? TIA.

On Nov 7, 8:14 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I fitted a Shimano Megarange cassette to my road bike (Dawes Comp.
> Giro 300) to try and ease the symptoms from my knees. In order to take
> up the larger chain slack I also changed the Sora 8 der. for an Alivio
> 8 der.
>
> I can't get the der. to change to the low sprocket, apparently because
> the jockey wheel isn't far enough out from the axle. The 'b' screw is
> fully in. What options do I have? TIA.

Check the obvious, like the L set screw. If that doesn't work, just
give up and hit the sauce.

On Nov 7, 8:14 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I fitted a Shimano Megarange cassette to my road bike (Dawes Comp.
> Giro 300) to try and ease the symptoms from my knees. In order to take
> up the larger chain slack I also changed the Sora 8 der. for an Alivio
> 8 der.
>
> I can't get the der. to change to the low sprocket, apparently because
> the jockey wheel isn't far enough out from the axle. The 'b' screw is
> fully in. What options do I have? TIA.

Check the obvious, like the L set screw. If that doesn't work, just
give up and hit the sauce.

On Nov 7, 8:14 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I fitted a Shimano Megarange cassette to my road bike (Dawes Comp.
> Giro 300) to try and ease the symptoms from my knees. In order to take
> up the larger chain slack I also changed the Sora 8 der. for an Alivio
> 8 der.
>
> I can't get the der. to change to the low sprocket, apparently because
> the jockey wheel isn't far enough out from the axle. The 'b' screw is
> fully in. What options do I have? TIA.

Swap the Alivio RD for a cheap 'n' cheerful Shimano Megarange RD.

On Nov 7, 9:14 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I fitted a Shimano Megarange cassette to my road bike (Dawes Comp.
> Giro 300) to try and ease the symptoms from my knees. In order to take
> up the larger chain slack I also changed the Sora 8 der. for an Alivio
> 8 der.
>
> I can't get the der. to change to the low sprocket, apparently because
> the jockey wheel isn't far enough out from the axle. The 'b' screw is
> fully in. What options do I have? TIA.

The chain might be too long. With a shorter chain, the RD will be
pulled into a more extended position which will give you more
clearance on the guide pulley. Obviously this won't work if the RD is
already at max extension on the next to biggest sprocket. You didn't
just put on a new chain without shortening it did you?

On Nov 7, 9:14 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I fitted a Shimano Megarange cassette to my road bike (Dawes Comp.
> Giro 300) to try and ease the symptoms from my knees. In order to take
> up the larger chain slack I also changed the Sora 8 der. for an Alivio
> 8 der.
>
> I can't get the der. to change to the low sprocket, apparently because
> the jockey wheel isn't far enough out from the axle. The 'b' screw is
> fully in. What options do I have? TIA.

The chain might be too long. With a shorter chain, the RD will be
pulled into a more extended position which will give you more
clearance on the guide pulley. Obviously this won't work if the RD is
already at max extension on the next to biggest sprocket. You didn't
just put on a new chain without shortening it did you?

I've gotten this combo to work on my MIL's bike, at least with a 32 cog
anyway.

The poster that talked about the mega-range ders. is right thou', they're
cheap and nicely made. You can also get an older XT or Deore unit that'll
shift that range fine too.
I've matched an older XT and 34T on my tourer for towing my daughter along
with a loaded bike;-]

-pete

news:[email protected]...