rear der.....mid-vs-long cage?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What's the difference (other than the obvious, Sorni..Mike...et al) and is
    there any advantages of one over the other?

    http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/shimano_xtr_m960_rapid_rise_rear_derailleur .htm

    From listening here, and talking with others, I take it the 'obvious' is that short cage can't
    handle as wide a gear range.

    The advantage is, AFAIK, that with a shorter cage, bushing slop and other play in the system has a
    reduced effect on the crispness of gear changing, because it is acting through less leverage. This
    means for people running gears within the narrower range the short cage can handle, it is a better
    option - crisp, sharp gear changes, and slower effective wearing.

    Disclaimer: This is purely hearsay and conjecture, but it's probably all true anyhow.

    Shaun aRe

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > What's the difference (other than the obvious, Sorni..Mike...et al) and is
    there any advantages of one over the other?

    http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/shimano_xtr_m960_rapid_rise_rear_derailleur .htm

    > --
    > Slacker

    It has to do with the 'chain wrap capacity'. You take the difference between the largest and
    smallest cog in the rear and the same in the front and add the two numbers together. This is the
    'chain capacity'. You match this number with the rear derailleur capacity number on the spec sheet
    (and max cog number you want to use). Since us downhillers only use one cog up front the capacity
    number is small so we should use a short or mid cage rear derailleur. I use mid cage (GS) XTR
    rapidrise on my DH bikes. I've seen road derailleurs used as well. It's when those XC weenies shift
    into the small/small combo the chain has to have somewhere to go.

    HTH

    Mike -BTW the mid cage is shorter than the long one....duh!

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > What's the difference (other than the obvious, Sorni..Mike...et al) and
    is
    > there any advantages of one over the other?

    http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/shimano_xtr_m960_rapid_rise_rear_derailleur
    > .htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    > >

    > It has to do with the 'chain wrap capacity'. You take the difference between the largest and
    > smallest cog in the rear and the same in the front and add the two numbers together. This is the
    > 'chain capacity'. You
    match
    > this number with the rear derailleur capacity number on the spec sheet
    (and
    > max cog number you want to use). Since us downhillers only use one cog up front the capacity
    > number is small so we should use a short or mid cage
    rear
    > derailleur. I use mid cage (GS) XTR rapidrise on my DH bikes. I've seen road derailleurs used as
    > well. It's when those XC weenies shift into the small/small combo the chain has to have
    > somewhere to go.
    >
    > HTH

    I thought that's what I'd said? ',;~}

    > Mike -BTW the mid cage is shorter than the long one....duh!

    And I thought it was longer than the short one - Thanks for clearing that up for me.

    Shaun aRe

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > What's the difference (other than the obvious, Sorni..Mike...et al)
    and
    > is
    > > there any advantages of one over the other?

    http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/shimano_xtr_m960_rapid_rise_rear_derailleur
    > > .htm
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Slacker
    > > >

    > > It has to do with the 'chain wrap capacity'. You take the difference between the largest and
    > > smallest cog in the rear and the same in the
    front
    > > and add the two numbers together. This is the 'chain capacity'. You
    > match
    > > this number with the rear derailleur capacity number on the spec sheet
    > (and
    > > max cog number you want to use). Since us downhillers only use one cog
    up
    > > front the capacity number is small so we should use a short or mid cage
    > rear
    > > derailleur. I use mid cage (GS) XTR rapidrise on my DH bikes. I've
    seen
    > > road derailleurs used as well. It's when those XC weenies shift into
    the
    > > small/small combo the chain has to have somewhere to go.
    > >
    > > HTH
    >
    > I thought that's what I'd said? ',;~}

    Oh it was, I was just adding the calculation for determining the correct capacity.

    > > Mike -BTW the mid cage is shorter than the long one....duh!
    >
    > And I thought it was longer than the short one - Thanks for clearing that
    up
    > for me.

    Any time bro, any time. ;^)

    Mike

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > It has to do with the 'chain wrap capacity'. You take the difference between the largest and
    > > > smallest cog in the rear and the same in the
    > front
    > > > and add the two numbers together. This is the 'chain capacity'. You
    > > match
    > > > this number with the rear derailleur capacity number on the spec sheet
    > > (and
    > > > max cog number you want to use). Since us downhillers only use one
    cog
    > up
    > > > front the capacity number is small so we should use a short or mid
    cage
    > > rear
    > > > derailleur. I use mid cage (GS) XTR rapidrise on my DH bikes. I've
    > seen
    > > > road derailleurs used as well. It's when those XC weenies shift into
    > the
    > > > small/small combo the chain has to have somewhere to go.
    > > >
    > > > HTH
    > >
    > > I thought that's what I'd said? ',;~}
    >
    > Oh it was, I was just adding the calculation for determining the correct capacity.

    Because Slacker is the sort for number crunching? - I don't buy it! ',;~}

    > > > Mike -BTW the mid cage is shorter than the long one....duh!
    > >
    > > And I thought it was longer than the short one - Thanks for clearing
    that
    > up
    > > for me.
    > >

    > Any time bro, any time. ;^)

    Heh!

    Shaun aRe

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > What's the difference (other than the obvious, Sorni..Mike...et al) and is
    > there any advantages of one over the other?
    > >

    > http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/shimano_xtr_m960_rapid_rise_rear_derailleur .htm
    > >
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    > >

    > It has to do with the 'chain wrap capacity'. You take the difference between the largest and
    > smallest cog in the rear and the same in the front and add the two numbers together. This is the
    > 'chain capacity'. You match this number with the rear derailleur capacity number on the spec sheet
    > (and max cog number you want to use). Since us downhillers only use one cog up front the capacity
    > number is small so we should use a short or mid cage rear derailleur. I use mid cage (GS) XTR
    > rapidrise on my DH bikes. I've seen road derailleurs used as well. It's when those XC weenies
    > shift into the small/small combo the chain has to have somewhere to go.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Mike -BTW the mid cage is shorter than the long one....duh!

    Ahh.....great explanation ( way better than that Rimmer dewd ;^ o ) Wasn't sure which to get for
    the DH sled.

    Now, which one was longer???

    Thanks (both of you)!
    --
    Slacker

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Mike -BTW the mid cage is shorter than the long one....duh!
    >

    > Ahh.....great explanation ( way better than that Rimmer dewd ;^ o )

    Bog off! He just used more words is all! Harrrrrrrumphmphmph!!!!!

    > Wasn't sure which to get for the DH sled.

    Short cage cage or mid cage cage depending.

    > Now, which one was longer???

    The more lengthy one.

    > Thanks (both of you)!

    Yer welcome, untight one.

    Shaun aRe

  9. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Wasn't sure which to get for the DH sled.

    I thought that's what you were getting at. How's the build going? Any baby pictures yet?

    Mike

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    bomba <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]m...
    > Slacker wrote:
    >
    > > Ahh.....great explanation ( way better than that Rimmer dewd ;^ o ) Wasn't sure which to get for
    > > the DH sled.
    > >
    > > Now, which one was longer???
    > >
    > > Thanks (both of you)!
    >
    > Rimmer in useful post shocker!

    Shocker? Oh yeah? Well, google it MoFo - when I can help, and I get there first, I always
    do, so 'ner'.

    Shaun aRe - Bloody Germaniacs.

  12. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Wasn't sure which to get for the DH sled.
    > >

    > I thought that's what you were getting at. How's the build going? Any baby pictures yet?
    >
    > Mike

    Nothing yet, but I'm learning a valuable lesson. It's not good enough to have the cash ready, you
    must also have good timing.

    Was going to buy another pair of Stiffies and I find out RRR is shut-down and being sold ;~( So I
    decide to go for a pair of Purples, but I'm having a difficult time finding anyone with a full set.

    Now my truck needs new rotors/front brakes and shocks all around.....sheesh, always something.
    That's ok, it aint stopping me from my plan......bwahahaha!!!
    --
    Slacker

  13. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Wasn't sure which to get for the DH sled.
    > > >

    > > I thought that's what you were getting at. How's the build going? Any
    baby
    > > pictures yet?
    > >
    > > Mike
    >

    > Nothing yet, but I'm learning a valuable lesson. It's not good enough to
    have the cash ready, you must also have good timing.

    > Was going to buy another pair of Stiffies and I find out RRR is shut-down
    and being sold ;~( So I decide to go for a pair of
    > Purples, but I'm having a difficult time finding anyone with a full set.
    >
    > Now my truck needs new rotors/front brakes and shocks all
    around.....sheesh, always something. That's ok, it aint stopping me from
    > my plan......bwahahaha!!!
    > --
    > Slacker

    I know what you mean man. My truck has been crying for attention as well. Bad news about RRR.

    Mike

  14. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 03:53:17 GMT, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What's the difference (other than the obvious, Sorni..Mike...et al) and is there any advantages of
    >one over the other?
    >
    >http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/shimano_xtr_m960_rapid_rise_rear_derailleur.htm

    Sure look pretty. Will it fit on a SS?

    heh, heh, heh.