rear der.....mid-vs-long cage?

Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What's the difference (other than the obvious, Sorni..Mike...et al) and is
there any advantages of one over the other?

http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/shimano_xtr_m960_rapid_rise_rear_derailleur .htm

From listening here, and talking with others, I take it the 'obvious' is that short cage can't
handle as wide a gear range.

The advantage is, AFAIK, that with a shorter cage, bushing slop and other play in the system has a
reduced effect on the crispness of gear changing, because it is acting through less leverage. This
means for people running gears within the narrower range the short cage can handle, it is a better
option - crisp, sharp gear changes, and slower effective wearing.

Disclaimer: This is purely hearsay and conjecture, but it's probably all true anyhow.

Shaun aRe

> What's the difference (other than the obvious, Sorni..Mike...et al) and is
there any advantages of one over the other?

http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/shimano_xtr_m960_rapid_rise_rear_derailleur .htm

> --
> Slacker

It has to do with the 'chain wrap capacity'. You take the difference between the largest and
smallest cog in the rear and the same in the front and add the two numbers together. This is the
'chain capacity'. You match this number with the rear derailleur capacity number on the spec sheet
(and max cog number you want to use). Since us downhillers only use one cog up front the capacity
number is small so we should use a short or mid cage rear derailleur. I use mid cage (GS) XTR
rapidrise on my DH bikes. I've seen road derailleurs used as well. It's when those XC weenies shift
into the small/small combo the chain has to have somewhere to go.

HTH

Mike -BTW the mid cage is shorter than the long one....duh!

Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > What's the difference (other than the obvious, Sorni..Mike...et al) and
is
> there any advantages of one over the other?

http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/shimano_xtr_m960_rapid_rise_rear_derailleur
> .htm
> >
> > --
> > Slacker
> >

> It has to do with the 'chain wrap capacity'. You take the difference between the largest and
> smallest cog in the rear and the same in the front and add the two numbers together. This is the
> 'chain capacity'. You
match
> this number with the rear derailleur capacity number on the spec sheet
(and
> max cog number you want to use). Since us downhillers only use one cog up front the capacity
> number is small so we should use a short or mid cage
rear
> derailleur. I use mid cage (GS) XTR rapidrise on my DH bikes. I've seen road derailleurs used as
> well. It's when those XC weenies shift into the small/small combo the chain has to have
> somewhere to go.
>
> HTH

I thought that's what I'd said? ',;~}

> Mike -BTW the mid cage is shorter than the long one....duh!

And I thought it was longer than the short one - Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Shaun aRe

> Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > What's the difference (other than the obvious, Sorni..Mike...et al)
and
> is
> > there any advantages of one over the other?

http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/shimano_xtr_m960_rapid_rise_rear_derailleur
> > .htm
> > >
> > > --
> > > Slacker
> > >

> > It has to do with the 'chain wrap capacity'. You take the difference between the largest and
> > smallest cog in the rear and the same in the
front
> > and add the two numbers together. This is the 'chain capacity'. You
> match
> > this number with the rear derailleur capacity number on the spec sheet
> (and
> > max cog number you want to use). Since us downhillers only use one cog
up
> > front the capacity number is small so we should use a short or mid cage
> rear
> > derailleur. I use mid cage (GS) XTR rapidrise on my DH bikes. I've
seen
> > road derailleurs used as well. It's when those XC weenies shift into
the
> > small/small combo the chain has to have somewhere to go.
> >
> > HTH
>
> I thought that's what I'd said? ',;~}

Oh it was, I was just adding the calculation for determining the correct capacity.

> > Mike -BTW the mid cage is shorter than the long one....duh!
>
> And I thought it was longer than the short one - Thanks for clearing that
up
> for me.

Any time bro, any time. ;^)

Mike

Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > It has to do with the 'chain wrap capacity'. You take the difference between the largest and
> > > smallest cog in the rear and the same in the
> front
> > > and add the two numbers together. This is the 'chain capacity'. You
> > match
> > > this number with the rear derailleur capacity number on the spec sheet
> > (and
> > > max cog number you want to use). Since us downhillers only use one
cog
> up
> > > front the capacity number is small so we should use a short or mid
cage
> > rear
> > > derailleur. I use mid cage (GS) XTR rapidrise on my DH bikes. I've
> seen
> > > road derailleurs used as well. It's when those XC weenies shift into
> the
> > > small/small combo the chain has to have somewhere to go.
> > >
> > > HTH
> >
> > I thought that's what I'd said? ',;~}
>
> Oh it was, I was just adding the calculation for determining the correct capacity.

Because Slacker is the sort for number crunching? - I don't buy it! ',;~}

> > > Mike -BTW the mid cage is shorter than the long one....duh!
> >
> > And I thought it was longer than the short one - Thanks for clearing
that
> up
> > for me.
> >

> Any time bro, any time. ;^)

Heh!

Shaun aRe

> > What's the difference (other than the obvious, Sorni..Mike...et al) and is
> there any advantages of one over the other?
> >

> http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/shimano_xtr_m960_rapid_rise_rear_derailleur .htm
> >
> > --
> > Slacker
> >

> It has to do with the 'chain wrap capacity'. You take the difference between the largest and
> smallest cog in the rear and the same in the front and add the two numbers together. This is the
> 'chain capacity'. You match this number with the rear derailleur capacity number on the spec sheet
> (and max cog number you want to use). Since us downhillers only use one cog up front the capacity
> number is small so we should use a short or mid cage rear derailleur. I use mid cage (GS) XTR
> rapidrise on my DH bikes. I've seen road derailleurs used as well. It's when those XC weenies
> shift into the small/small combo the chain has to have somewhere to go.
>
> HTH
>
> Mike -BTW the mid cage is shorter than the long one....duh!

Ahh.....great explanation ( way better than that Rimmer dewd ;^ o ) Wasn't sure which to get for
the DH sled.

Now, which one was longer???

Thanks (both of you)!
--
Slacker

Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Mike -BTW the mid cage is shorter than the long one....duh!
>

> Ahh.....great explanation ( way better than that Rimmer dewd ;^ o )

Bog off! He just used more words is all! Harrrrrrrumphmphmph!!!!!

> Wasn't sure which to get for the DH sled.

Short cage cage or mid cage cage depending.

> Now, which one was longer???

The more lengthy one.

> Thanks (both of you)!

Yer welcome, untight one.

Shaun aRe

> Slacker wrote:
>
> > Ahh.....great explanation ( way better than that Rimmer dewd ;^ o ) Wasn't sure which to get for
> > the DH sled.
> >
> > Now, which one was longer???
> >
> > Thanks (both of you)!
>
> Rimmer in useful post shocker!

Shocker? Oh yeah? Well, google it MoFo - when I can help, and I get there first, I always
do, so 'ner'.

Shaun aRe - Bloody Germaniacs.

> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Wasn't sure which to get for the DH sled.
> >

> I thought that's what you were getting at. How's the build going? Any baby pictures yet?
>
> Mike

Nothing yet, but I'm learning a valuable lesson. It's not good enough to have the cash ready, you
must also have good timing.

Was going to buy another pair of Stiffies and I find out RRR is shut-down and being sold ;~( So I
decide to go for a pair of Purples, but I'm having a difficult time finding anyone with a full set.

Now my truck needs new rotors/front brakes and shocks all around.....sheesh, always something.
That's ok, it aint stopping me from my plan......bwahahaha!!!
--
Slacker

> > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Wasn't sure which to get for the DH sled.
> > >

> > I thought that's what you were getting at. How's the build going? Any
baby
> > pictures yet?
> >
> > Mike
>

> Nothing yet, but I'm learning a valuable lesson. It's not good enough to
have the cash ready, you must also have good timing.

> Was going to buy another pair of Stiffies and I find out RRR is shut-down
and being sold ;~( So I decide to go for a pair of
> Purples, but I'm having a difficult time finding anyone with a full set.
>
> Now my truck needs new rotors/front brakes and shocks all
around.....sheesh, always something. That's ok, it aint stopping me from
> my plan......bwahahaha!!!
> --
> Slacker

I know what you mean man. My truck has been crying for attention as well. Bad news about RRR.

Mike

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 03:53:17 GMT, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What's the difference (other than the obvious, Sorni..Mike...et al) and is there any advantages of
>one over the other?
>
>http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/shimano_xtr_m960_rapid_rise_rear_derailleur.htm

Sure look pretty. Will it fit on a SS?

heh, heh, heh.