Rear Derailer Adjustment Problem

Bob Grabowski

Guest
My apologies for asking so basic a question, but this group has really been helpful to me in the
past and please forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology. For the past 1 1/2 years I've
been riding a Trek 1200 Road bike, graduating from a mountain bike before then. It has the Shimano
Tiagra shifters. Recently, the rear derailer has been acting up. It is reluctant, at times, to move
the chain onto the next smaller rear chainring. If I shift once, it doesn't move. If I shift twice,
it moves two chainrings. I know I just need to adjust the cable tension, but I"m not sure where or
how. Can someone help? I can call my Local Bike Shop tomorrow, but I'd like to go for a ride early
in the morning before they open.

Thanks,

Bob

You should ask this question in rec.bicycles.tech, by the way.

But your answer will be found here:http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

Bob Grabowski <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> My apologies for asking so basic a question, but this group has really been helpful to me in the
> past and please forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology. For the past 1 1/2 years I've
> been riding a Trek 1200 Road bike, graduating from a mountain bike before then. It has the Shimano
> Tiagra shifters. Recently, the rear derailer has been acting up. It is reluctant, at times, to
> move the chain onto the next smaller rear chainring. If I shift once, it doesn't move. If I shift
> twice, it moves two chainrings. I know I just need to adjust the cable tension, but I"m not sure
> where or how. Can someone help? I can call my Local Bike Shop tomorrow, but I'd like to go for a
> ride early in the morning before they open.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Did you try lubing the cables? After that, tighten them a few milimeters as they tend to stretch.
BTW, this is a topic which is more appropriate for the rec.bicycles.tech group.

Thanks for the link,

I just added rec.bicycles.tech to my subscribed groups in Agent.

Bob