rear derailer problem

lemur

Guest
I cant coast on a 2nd hand bike I aquired. I need to constantly pedal
because the rear sprocket does not freely rotate. What should I take a
look at first.

Thanks
Rob

Is it suposed to be a fixed gear? If so it's normal that is what a fixed
gear is. If it is not then the freewheel mechanism must be frozen from
corrosion. In that case it's probably best to replace the freewheel and
chain.

"lemur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I cant coast on a 2nd hand bike I aquired. I need to constantly pedal
> because the rear sprocket does not freely rotate. What should I take a
> look at first.
>
> Thanks
> Rob

Ops sorry didn't see the title. If it has a rear derailleur it's clearly
not a fixed gear. It is most likely the free wheel. If your bike has a
freewheel I'd replace it with the chain. If it is a cassette system I'd see
if it is possible to overhaul and lub the frozen freehub.

"Steven S" <loach_lover[remove spam tag]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is it suposed to be a fixed gear? If so it's normal that is what a fixed
> gear is. If it is not then the freewheel mechanism must be frozen from
> corrosion. In that case it's probably best to replace the freewheel and
> chain.
>

> "lemur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>I cant coast on a 2nd hand bike I aquired. I need to constantly pedal
>> because the rear sprocket does not freely rotate. What should I take a
>> look at first.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Rob

On Jun 10, 10:18 am, "Steven S" <loach_lover[remove spam
tag]@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ops sorry didn't see the title. If it has a rear derailleur it's clearly
> not a fixed gear. It is most likely the free wheel. If your bike has a
> freewheel I'd replace it with the chain. If it is a cassette system I'd see
> if it is possible to overhaul and lub the frozen freehub.
>
> "Steven S" <loach_lover[remove spam tag]@hotmail.com> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
>

> > Is it suposed to be a fixed gear? If so it's normal that is what a fixed
> > gear is. If it is not then the freewheel mechanism must be frozen from
> > corrosion. In that case it's probably best to replace the freewheel and
> > chain.

> > "lemur" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >>I cant coast on a 2nd hand bike I aquired. I need to constantly pedal
> >> because the rear sprocket does not freely rotate. What should I take a
> >> look at first.

> >> Thanks
> >> Rob- Hide quoted text -

clean chain, lube the deray pulley wheels.
take the rear wheel off. does the cluster rotate? whats it sound like?
zero? nooooo click click click? doens't rotate? try PCBlaster with a
red tube comes with the can in behind the big cluster gear and thru
the front side at ether side of the metal ring with two holes in it.
spray it good then work the cluster back and forth. if it comes loose,
let it sit in the hot sun for 2 days then pour trans oil into both
sides, working the cluster.
then have the LBS pull the old cluster off and sell you a new one.
rebuilding is not worth the expense or time as the cluster goes with
the chain. so yuo probabbbly need a new chain. get a sram link with it
for chain cleaning. use paperclips.
while you're there take a string from the CR's back to the cluster and
pulleys to see if everything lines up.

On Jun 10, 7:07 am, lemur <[email protected]> wrote:
> I cant coast on a 2nd hand bike I aquired. I need to constantly pedal
> because the rear sprocket does not freely rotate. What should I take a
> look at first.
>
> Thanks
> Rob

Hi Rob.

It is not your derailleur.

I sounds as if the internal mechanism of the freehub or freewheel has
gummed up and the spring loaded pawls inside are not releasing. Can
you back pedal the pedals when off the bike?

You might try taking the wheel off the bike, laying it over a bucket,
or cut down gallon jug, and putting some light oil where the freehub
or freewheel rotates when you turn it counter-clockwise. give the oil
a chance to soak in before remounting the rear wheel. That should cure
the problem.

Cheers from Peter