rear deraileur - loosing spring tension?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Missoulabiker, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. My 8 year old LX rear deraileur is starting to have difficulty moving to the smaller cogs. When I
    make the shift I see the cable go slack. I can usually do a little bunny hop to get it to drop
    down - but it's less than ideal. It shifts off the largest three gears fine, but won't do the
    smaller cogs.

    The only thing I can think of is that the spring inside the deraileur is loosing strength. Does
    that make sense? Does anyone have another explanation for this problem? If it is the spring ... is
    that fixable?

    Looks like rain today ... but man .. .can't be without my bike for long! -Thanks

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, MissoulaBiker <[email protected]> wrote:
    >My 8 year old LX rear deraileur is starting to have difficulty moving to the smaller cogs. When I
    >make the shift I see the cable go slack. I can usually do a little bunny hop to get it to drop
    >down - but it's less than ideal. It shifts off the largest three gears fine, but won't do the
    >smaller cogs.
    >
    >The only thing I can think of is that the spring inside the deraileur is loosing strength. Does
    >that make sense?

    The spring gets weaker, and also the pivots get more resistance from dirt & corrosion which makes
    the spring work harder. Additional resistance can be introduced in the cable system as well.
    Generally before I throw out the derailleur I soak it with a light lubricant and work it by hand
    with the chain and cable removed, then reassemble with fresh cable and housing.

    > Does anyone have another explanation for this problem? If it is the spring ... is that fixable?

    Lubricating derailleur pivots - good idea.

    New slick derailleur wire and housing, well lubricated - good idea.

    Major surgery on 8-year-old inexpensive derailleur - waste of time.

    --Paul

  3. Openworld

    Openworld Guest

    Normaly a cable issue. 90%(random figure) of thge time the cables are sticking Depends on your
    finances but replace cables then spring, but to be honest if the cables are fine then replace the
    rear deraileur. Shops often sell old stock + bits taken off repairs, see if you can get a
    replacement this way. If the pivot points on the deraileur are still tight then keepit and change
    the spring-(do it yourself-ITS A PAIN) otherwise expense of new deraileur. Good luck.

    "MissoulaBiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My 8 year old LX rear deraileur is starting to have difficulty moving to
    the
    > smaller cogs. When I make the shift I see the cable go slack. I can usually do a little bunny hop
    > to get it to drop down - but it's less than ideal. It shifts off the largest three gears fine, but
    > won't do the smaller cogs.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of is that the spring inside the deraileur is loosing strength. Does
    > that make sense? Does anyone have another explanation for this problem? If it is the spring ... is
    > that fixable?
    >
    > Looks like rain today ... but man .. .can't be without my bike for long! -Thanks

  4. I put a new cable on and things are working fine again. The cable adjustment barrel leading into the
    deraileur was choked with grime ... so that was probably it. Thanks for the advise - you guys were
    spot on...