rear deraileur

Why have no manufacturers produced a rear deraileur designed to shift shimano cogs using campy ergo
brifters? Seems like a good idea and an exclusive niche that someone could fill. B

(remove clothes to reply)

>Why have no manufacturers produced a rear deraileur designed to shift shimano cogs using campy ergo
>brifters? Seems like a good idea and an exclusive niche that someone could fill.

Not necessary. 9spd campy & shimano are close enough in spacing that they are interchangeable.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

A shy person asked:

> Why have no manufacturers produced a rear deraileur designed to shift shimano cogs using campy
> ergo brifters? Seems like a good idea and an exclusive niche that someone could fill.

They have, specifically Campagnolo.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/kits.html

Sheldon "Shimagnolo" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
| Some of my brother's paintings may be seen at: | http://junila.com |
+--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

In article <[email protected]>, B <[email protected]> wrote:
>Why have no manufacturers produced a rear deraileur designed to shift shimano cogs using campy ergo
>brifters? Seems like a good idea and an exclusive niche that someone could fill.

Basically everyone who wants to produce derailleurs and shifters falls into these categories
(one or both):

1. They want to sell complete shifting systems including derailleurs and shifters and would happily
force you to use their entire system if given half a chance.

2. They want to make Shimano-compatible parts because that's the only kind you can sell a lot of.

Personally I think it would be better to just manufacture a Shimano-compatible 9-speed index
gear (ie, EC-RE061) that works with the modern Campy ergo levers, assuming you can avoid getting
sued over it.

It would be much easier to produce that than a whole new shifter or rear derailleur design.

--Paul