rear deraileur

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by B, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. B

    B Guest

    Why have no manufacturers produced a rear deraileur designed to shift shimano cogs using campy ergo
    brifters? Seems like a good idea and an exclusive niche that someone could fill. B

    (remove clothes to reply)

    >Why have no manufacturers produced a rear deraileur designed to shift shimano cogs using campy ergo
    >brifters? Seems like a good idea and an exclusive niche that someone could fill.

    Not necessary. 9spd campy & shimano are close enough in spacing that they are interchangeable.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  3. A shy person asked:

    > Why have no manufacturers produced a rear deraileur designed to shift shimano cogs using campy
    > ergo brifters? Seems like a good idea and an exclusive niche that someone could fill.

    They have, specifically Campagnolo.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/kits.html

    Sheldon "Shimagnolo" Brown +--------------------------------------------------+
    | Some of my brother's paintings may be seen at: | http://junila.com |
    +--------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  4. In article <[email protected]>, B <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Why have no manufacturers produced a rear deraileur designed to shift shimano cogs using campy ergo
    >brifters? Seems like a good idea and an exclusive niche that someone could fill.

    Basically everyone who wants to produce derailleurs and shifters falls into these categories
    (one or both):

    1. They want to sell complete shifting systems including derailleurs and shifters and would happily
    force you to use their entire system if given half a chance.

    2. They want to make Shimano-compatible parts because that's the only kind you can sell a lot of.

    Personally I think it would be better to just manufacture a Shimano-compatible 9-speed index
    gear (ie, EC-RE061) that works with the modern Campy ergo levers, assuming you can avoid getting
    sued over it.

    It would be much easier to produce that than a whole new shifter or rear derailleur design.

    --Paul