Rear Derailler thread chasing: front to back, or back to front?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Brian Plaugher, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. So Campagnolo said chase your threads before installing your new rear derailler, but I didn't, and
    cross threaded it. I backed it out before going too far, but wonder (now that I have the tap):
    should I start on the derailler side of the threads, where the damage is, or try coming in from the
    back? All wise advice appreciated. Brian Plaugher

    Tags:

  2. Garry N

    Garry N Guest

    Go from the back. Garry

    "Brian Plaugher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So Campagnolo said chase your threads before installing your new rear derailler, but I didn't, and
    > cross threaded it. I backed it out before going too far, but wonder (now that I have the tap):
    > should I start on the derailler side of the threads, where the damage is, or try coming in from
    > the back? All wise advice appreciated. Brian Plaugher

  3. b plaugher-<< installing your new rear derailler, but I didn't, and cross threaded it

    << should I start on the derailler side of the threads, where the damage is, or try coming in
    from the back?

    From the back where the threads are okay or at least better-

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    What is the tap size/specification?

    On 21 Jan 2003 22:30:53 -0800, [email protected] (Brian Plaugher) wrote:

    >So Campagnolo said chase your threads before installing your new rear derailler, but I didn't, and
    >cross threaded it. I backed it out before going too far, but wonder (now that I have the tap):
    >should I start on the derailler side of the threads, where the damage is, or try coming in from the
    >back? All wise advice appreciated. Brian Plaugher

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > On 21 Jan 2003 22:30:53 -0800, [email protected] (Brian Plaugher) wrote:
    >
    > >So Campagnolo said chase your threads before installing your new rear derailler, but I didn't,
    > >and cross threaded it. I backed it out before going too far, but wonder (now that I have the
    > >tap): should I start on the derailler side of the threads, where the damage is, or try coming in
    > >from the back?

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What is the tap size/specification?

    Use an M10x1.0.

    For the picayunes, Campagnolo used to thread Italian Whitworth 10f.26 (55 degrees) but IMHO a
    standard metric tap is so close as to not matter.

  6. 10 by 1-

    << What is the tap size/specification? >><BR><BR>