rear derailleur chainstay cable hanger loose

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Spacey Spade, May 7, 2003.

  1. Spacey Spade

    Spacey Spade Guest

    I am currently using friction downtube shifters, but want to upgrade to Ergo, though may be
    stuck with STI.

    My rear derailleur chainstay cable hanger on my 88ish Cannondale has some play in it. This
    usually causes automatic, unexpected shifting towards a smaller cog some time after a shift in
    the same direction. This has caused me to crash once when I was out of saddle and the chain
    slipped during a shift.

    The hanger is held by two blind rivets. I got the Cannondale second-hand over 5 years ago. I
    could be wrong, but I think the riveting was a home job. I would have placed the rivets in-line
    with the cable.

    Here is a picture: http://angelfire.com/alt/spacey/hanger.jpg

    What would you do about this?

    I am not familiar with rivets. Is there a way to remove the rivets without the inner side of the
    rivet making a home in the chainstay?

    Spacey

    Tags:

  2. You should be able to get that taken care of at just about any long-time Cannondale dealer, and
    possibly others as well. They're just pop rivets, nothing fancy. Very easy to install. Yes, you will
    have something rolling around in your tubes after you grind or drill out the old ones, but they
    should come right out at the bottom bracket opening (just remove your cranks & bottom bracket).

    For examples of pop rivets, go to http://www.poprivet.com (where else??? :>)

    "Spacey Spade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I am currently using friction downtube shifters, but want to upgrade to Ergo, though may be stuck
    > with STI.
    >
    > My rear derailleur chainstay cable hanger on my 88ish Cannondale has some play in it. This usually
    > causes automatic, unexpected shifting towards a smaller cog some time after a shift in the same
    > direction. This has
    caused
    > me to crash once when I was out of saddle and the chain slipped during a shift.
    >
    > The hanger is held by two blind rivets. I got the Cannondale second-hand over 5 years ago. I
    > could be wrong, but I think the riveting was a home job. I would have placed the rivets in-line
    > with the cable.
    >
    > Here is a picture: http://angelfire.com/alt/spacey/hanger.jpg
    >
    > What would you do about this?
    >
    > I am not familiar with rivets. Is there a way to remove the rivets
    without
    > the inner side of the rivet making a home in the chainstay?
    >
    > Spacey

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Spacey Spade
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am currently using friction downtube shifters, but want to upgrade to Ergo, though may be stuck
    >with STI.
    >
    >My rear derailleur chainstay cable hanger on my 88ish Cannondale has some play in it. This
    >usually causes automatic, unexpected shifting towards a smaller cog some time after a shift in
    >the same direction. This has caused me to crash once when I was out of saddle and the chain
    >slipped during a shift.
    >
    >The hanger is held by two blind rivets. I got the Cannondale second-hand over 5 years ago. I
    >could be wrong, but I think the riveting was a home job. I would have placed the rivets in-line
    >with the cable.
    >
    >Here is a picture: http://angelfire.com/alt/spacey/hanger.jpg
    >
    >What would you do about this?

    Drill out those rivets and install new ones.

    >I am not familiar with rivets. Is there a way to remove the rivets without the inner side of the
    >rivet making a home in the chainstay?

    Before you reinstall the rivets you can put a couple drops of glue inside the chainstay to collect
    the jingly bits.

    --Paul

  4. Spacey Spade

    Spacey Spade Guest

    Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    >You should be able to get that taken care of at just about any long-time Cannondale dealer, and
    >possibly others as well. They're just pop rivets, nothing fancy. Very easy to install.

    Took it to BikeSport (bikesport.com). Awesome place, I recommend it. I'd say it's as good, if not
    better than Daniel Boone's www.danielboonecycles.com.

    >Yes, you will have something rolling around in your tubes after you grind or drill out the old
    >ones, but they should come right out at the bottom bracket opening (just remove your cranks &
    >bottom bracket). [snip]

    Bike mechanic said the holes at the bottom bracket, if any, would be too small.

    >--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    >

    >"Spacey Spade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>[snip] My rear derailleur chainstay cable hanger on my 88ish Cannondale has some play in it.
    >>[snip] The hanger is held by two blind rivets. [snip]

  5. Spacey Spade

    Spacey Spade Guest

    Paul Southworth wrote:
    >Spacey Spade <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>My rear derailleur chainstay cable hanger on my 88ish Cannondale has some play in it. This usually
    >>causes automatic, unexpected shifting towards a smaller cog some time after a shift in the same
    >>direction. This has caused me to crash once when I was out of saddle and the chain slipped during
    >>a shift. The hanger is held by two blind rivets. [snip]
    >
    >Drill out those rivets and install new ones.
    >
    >>I am not familiar with rivets. Is there a way to remove the rivets without the inner side of the
    >>rivet making a home in the chainstay?
    >
    >Before you reinstall the rivets you can put a couple drops of glue inside the chainstay to collect
    >the jingly bits.

    That's just what the mechanic at BikeSport did. I decided this was one thing I didn't want to
    do myself. Riveting might be easy, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to practice some on something
    less critical.