Rear derailleur compatability Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by 4wlow, Sep 27, 2005.

1. 4wlow

4wlow New Member

I have an 05 Cannondale Prophet 2000 with the Shimano XT integrated disc brakes and shifters. I have an XTR rapid rise rear derailleur that has been skipping around on the 4 largest cogs even after several adjustments. C an I put on a regular rear derailleur. I have been told yes and no. Can anyone clear this up

Tags:

2. PCC

PCC New Member

You will need to put a Shimano rear derailleur on it to keep the index shifting.

I would think that the XTR rear derailleur would be the last thing to cause problems on your bike. I would try a different rear cassette (is yours XTR?) or a different chain.

3. Rideastrong

Rideastrong New Member

yes you can use a regular derailer that is fine. Make sure the cassette itself is snug and that your chain and cassette are not overly worn. You might need a new chain and cassette. I doubt there is much wrong with the derailler if the cage is straight, the pulleys are in good condition and the frame dropout is straight.

4. philso

philso New Member

do you mean chain skip, where the chain skips but remains on the same cog, or your chain is jumping from cog to cog? chain skip usually means your cogs are worn(usually the same 3 or 4 you are usually using), and will happen even with a new chain on (although the chain may need replacing also).

if your chain has too much lateral flex, it can jump around or shift poorly, especially between cogs with a larger tooth number difference.

5. 4wlow

4wlow New Member

I replaced the chain and cassette. That helped, but it will still skip every once and a while usually under hard pedaling. I never expirienced this before until I gor the rapid rise design derailleur.