Rear Derailleur for Cannondale Quick-1 Hybrid

uwpf23

Jun 15, 2013
Hi all,
I have a question about the rear derailleur on a Cannondale Quick-1 hybrid bike. Mine broke today. It was a Shimano 105 rear derailleur. My bike shop is recommending a Shimano "M66" replacement. I'm having a hard time finding a listing on this rear derailleur to research it. I don't want to go backwards in quality and wondering if this part will be as good of quality as the original, or are they just trying to clear out a cheap part that is not as good from their inventory. The closest product number I can find for "M66" indicates it might be from the Shimano SLX series, but not sure. If so, that is a mountain bike rear derailleur, which raises questions .(at least in my mind) about putting a MTB derailleur on a hybrid that is much closer in design and use to a road bike than MTB.

The bike is only ridden on smooth pavement...no rough stuff or off-road/trails. The 105 rear derailleur was extremely smooth-shifting and trouble-free/easy to adjust. Will this M66 derailleur measure up quality-wise or should I insist on getting the original part replaced with identical parts?

Thanks,
Wade

If you enjoyed your 105, get another one. They are a very nice road derailleur for the money.

Originally Posted by uwpf23 .

I have a question about the rear derailleur on a Cannondale Quick-1 hybrid bike. Mine broke today. It was a Shimano 105 rear derailleur. My bike shop is recommending a Shimano "M66" replacement. I'm having a hard time finding a listing on this rear derailleur to research it. I don't want to go backwards in quality and wondering if this part will be as good of quality as the original, or are they just trying to clear out a cheap part that is not as good from their inventory. The closest product number I can find for "M66" indicates it might be from the Shimano SLX series, but not sure. If so, that is a mountain bike rear derailleur, which raises questions .(at least in my mind) about putting a MTB derailleur on a hybrid that is much closer in design and use to a road bike than MTB.

The bike is only ridden on smooth pavement...no rough stuff or off-road/trails. The 105 rear derailleur was extremely smooth-shifting and trouble-free/easy to adjust. Will this M66 derailleur measure up quality-wise or should I insist on getting the original part replaced with identical parts?
I don't know how you managed to 'break" your rear derailleur ...

FYI ...

• LX == 105
  • SLX is between LX & XT (the Ultegra equivalent)

CampyBob: Thanks for your reply. I decided to use the original Shimano 105 replacement derailleur. It just makes sense to me to stick to what the bike was built around at the factory and not put a heavier derailleur designed for a mountain bike onto what amounts to a road bike functionally.

Alfeng: Thanks for the parts comparisons. The internal spring inside the derailleur broke and the housing it sits inside is worn out. Rebuilding it is iffy due to the internal wear of the derailleur body, and likely won't last very long, so went for the new 105 part to restore it back to original factory parts.

Thanks for the replies all.

Wade