Rear derailleur help

Dave Pace

Aug 3, 2012
I am upgrading my drive train from a 8 speed to 10 speed due to I am at the point where I just needed that extra gear that was in between to reach maximum rpm with out killing myself.

So here is my issue. I need to know what rear derailleur I need. My set up is a Shimano 105 CS-5700 11x28. The Front Crankset is Shimano Ultegra FC-6601-g 53/39t

So should I stick with the 105 in the back but at a medium? or do I need to go long? Or should I go Ultegra in the rear?

Long cage if possible. You will then have the option for a higher range cassette. Nothing wrong with 105, quality gear. The rest of the bike is 105, my vote is to keep it uniform. Buy Ultegra if you have cash to burn, want minor weight saving and maybe minuscule better shifting that you will probably not notice. Whoa, back up. Forget about the front derailleur. Do you realize you will need a new brifter, chain and cassette on top of the rear derailleur. Almost certainly cable, housing and bar tape too, not to mention the tools to do this. Go for it if you want to learn and tinker. If you are after the easiest and cheapest option I would buy and sell complete bikes as is.

Originally Posted by Dave Pace
I am upgrading my drive train from a 8 speed to 10 speed due to I am at the point where I just needed that extra gear that was in between to reach maximum rpm with out killing myself.

So here is my issue. I need to know what rear derailleur I need. My set up is a Shimano 105 CS-5700 11x28. The Front Crankset is Shimano Ultegra FC-6601-g 53/39t

So should I stick with the 105 in the back but at a medium? or do I need to go long? Or should I go Ultegra in the rear?
You'll probably get more use (and maybe some smaller gaps) with something like a 12x27. I mean, how often will you be running 53x11?

Originally Posted by Scott2468

Long cage if possible. You will then have the option for a higher range cassette. Nothing wrong with 105, quality gear. The rest of the bike is 105, my vote is to keep it uniform. Buy Ultegra if you have cash to burn, want minor weight saving and maybe minuscule better shifting that you will probably not notice.

Whoa, back up. Forget about the front derailleur. Do you realize you will need a new brifter, chain and cassette on top of the rear derailleur. Almost certainly cable, housing and bar tape too, not to mention the tools to do this.

Go for it if you want to learn and tinker. If you are after the easiest and cheapest option I would buy and sell complete bikes as is.
Yep. I already have all that, the only thing I need is the rear derailleur. But I think I am staying with the 105 medium.

Short cage will handle 39-53 and a 11-28 in 105 5800 11-speed. I'm guessing the old 5700/5750 would also. Try what you have for awhile and see how it handles it?