Rear Derailleur Issue

PakiwiAl

Oct 19, 2013
First of all if I have the wrong forum, I apologize. I did look for a technical forum but did not find one. My bike is a Road bike so here goes. After many years of time off the bike due to family, I have decided that I need to get back on the bike as I have more free time. The bike is a Steel Frame, 700c clinchers with Shimano 600 and DuraAce throughout with 7 speed hub. Have been riding for a couple of weeks and had one issue that I can't seem to fix. When in the gears I use for hills, and under load, small sprocket on the front the chain feels like it is slipping, it's not on every revolution or in a particular place. It makes an audible click and then reengages as I keep peddling. I have tried the micro adjustments on the down tube and it doesn't appear to make a difference. I have also tried to see what the derailleur is doing but have not been able to see as I go up hill. Rear Derailleur is 600 SIS. I did replace the chain after I moved the components from an alloy frame to this one and it had an issue on the other frame too" Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks Allan

FWIW. It could be the way your chain was reconnected ...

Are you re-using the SAME change or did you install a new chain?

You can check to ensure that your chain was reconnected properly by rotating the crank BACKWARDS ...

If there is a kink in the chain from the pin/(rivet) not being seated properly, it will usually reveal itself ...

Of course, if you find a problem, gently re-seat the offending pin properly so that the connected links do not bind & the links pivot smoothly ... that is, when you are DONE remedying the problem, the formerly offending pin should be protruding equally on both sides of the chain & the two links of the chain should pivot smoothly.

BTW. Just from a point of maintenance, it would probably be beneficial to put a drop of 3-in-1 type oil on each of the rear derailleur's pulleys AND/OR to ensure that the teeth on the cogs are not gummed up with the waxy dry lube that too many people have been convinced works better than wet lubes ...

If you don't have a workstand, then if you have a garage, "suspend" the bike from one-or-two hooks (only the rear a wheel needs to be off the ground) so the bike is at a height that is convenient for you to work on ... otherwise, the least expensive stand which props the rear wheel off the ground AND allows you to turn the crank will suffice -- money WELL SPENT if you do any work on your bike.

Nice old Celo Europa.

Agree with Alf. Either the chain has a tight link or the freewheel gears are worn and the new chain exposed that wear.

Thanks for the feed back. Will check that and see. Yes I should get a stand. Makes things a lot easier. Will lube as mentioned. Appreciated. Allan

Thanks. It really is a nice frame. I had an Aluminum frame but went back to this for quality of ride. I have a long way to get back in shape before I consider any changes to anything on the bike. Allan

Alf, You were spot on. Rotating the chain backwards pointed to the join on the new chain. Reseated the pin and Bobs your Uncle. Looking forward for a ride today even in the brisk weather. Much appreciated. Allan