Rear derailleur jockey wheels

Howard Slomer

Guest
What kind of lubrication, if any, should be applied to the bearings in the rear derailleur jockey
wheels? Are the jockey two wheels identical on a Shimano Deore LX Derailleur?

Thanks in advance Howard

"Howard Slomer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What kind of lubrication, if any, should be applied to the bearings in the rear derailleur jockey
> wheels? Are the jockey two wheels identical on a Shimano Deore LX Derailleur?
>
> Thanks in advance Howard

No they're not identical. The top wheel has some float (Shimano Self-Centering Technology or some
such thing..) side to side and it has a different bearing size than the bottom ( pretty sure on
that..). The bottom wheel is fixed side to side. Usually I take them apart, clean them and lube them
with some teflon or white lithium grease. If you're less incline to take them apart and they don't
have seals (some don't..), just zap them with some spray teflon lube between the metal end plate and
the plastic wheel. Not as good, but should do the job.

Cheers,

Scott..

Howard Slomer wrote:

> What kind of lubrication, if any, should be applied to the bearings in the rear derailleur
> jockey wheels?

Light grease. You need to disassemble and clean them.

> Are the jockey two wheels identical on a Shimano Deore LX Derailleur?

No. The jockey (upper) pulley is a "Centeron"(TM) design, with some side play built into it, to
compensate for minor inaccuracies in indexing.

The tension (lower) pulley doesn't have any designed-in play.

Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html" Brown +-------------------------------------------
+
| Never do today what you can do tomorrow. | Something may occur to make you regret | your
| premature action. --Aaron Burr |
+-------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Howard Slomer wrote:

> What kind of lubrication, if any, should be applied to the bearings in the rear derailleur jockey
> wheels? Are the jockey two wheels identical on a Shimano Deore LX Derailleur?

The top jockey is marked Centeron G-Pulley and has a bit of sideways float built in.

Some of these newer jockey wheels have sealed bearings, in which case you just clean the sprocket
teeth. If the bearings are conventional bushes, disassemble and add some grease if you're obsessive
- otherwise just spray with a hose, wipe dry and drench with WD40 or GT85. Same effect.

One of those aha! moments.

Perhaps this thread explains why shifting is not so good since I took apart and re-assembled my
Deore derailleur a few weeks ago (without regard for asymmetry).

So, which parts go at the top and which at the bottom?

news:<[email protected]>...

[email protected] (Andrew Webster) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> One of those aha! moments.
>
> Perhaps this thread explains why shifting is not so good since I took apart and re-assembled my
> Deore derailleur a few weeks ago (without regard for asymmetry).
>
> So, which parts go at the top and which at the bottom?
>
> "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Howard Slomer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:OMmdnR7Cmfe8I5ndRVn-
> > [email protected]...
> > > What kind of lubrication, if any, should be applied to the bearings in the rear derailleur
> > > jockey wheels? Are the jockey two wheels identical on a Shimano Deore LX Derailleur?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance Howard
> >
> > No they're not identical. The top wheel has some float (Shimano Self-Centering Technology or
> > some such thing..) side to side and it has a different bearing size than the bottom ( pretty
> > sure on that..). The bottom wheel is fixed side to side. Usually I take them apart, clean them
> > and lube them with some teflon or white lithium grease. If you're less incline to take them
> > apart and they don't have seals (some don't..), just zap them with some spray teflon lube
> > between the metal end plate and the plastic wheel. Not as good, but should do the job.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Scott..

Dear Andrew,

Back in September, I asked the same question about the Centeron G-pulley:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8bbde8fc.0309161442.6709ee6b%40posting.google.com&output=gplain

There seemed to be some confusing disagreement from various figures cloaked in authority.

The thread is still visible in google groups.

Good luck,

Carl Fogel

Scott, Sheldon,

Thanks for the quick repies!

Howard

> Howard Slomer wrote:
>
> > What kind of lubrication, if any, should be applied to the bearings in
the
> > rear derailleur jockey wheels?
>
> Light grease. You need to disassemble and clean them.
>
> > Are the jockey two wheels identical on a Shimano Deore LX Derailleur?
>
> No. The jockey (upper) pulley is a "Centeron"(TM) design, with some side play built into it, to
> compensate for minor inaccuracies in indexing.
>
> The tension (lower) pulley doesn't have any designed-in play.
>
> Sheldon "http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html" Brown +-------------------------------------------
> +
> | Never do today what you can do tomorrow. | Something may occur to make you regret | your
> | premature action. --Aaron Burr |
> +-------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-
> 9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

disagree. with restraint. boat wheel bearing grease available woolmmort from pennzoil or
lubrimatic(formerly sponser of the bowes seal fast special)is the solution here in a warm climate.
if boat wheel bearing grease works in michogan, i dunno. frankly, i get 75% more mileage outa the
pulleys with boat grease. but diluting the boat grease with finish line cc reduces effectiveness and
turns the light grease combo into grinding compound. i clean four times a year at 1000plus miles
each interval and that's not too frequent for positive resuklts and will buy moremoremopre from the
squidpeople after sending the catalog to tibet for translations

"Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit." - Seneca
On 16 Jan 2004 09:11:24 -0800, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:

>disagree. with restraint. boat wheel bearing grease available woolmmort from pennzoil or
>lubrimatic(formerly sponser of the bowes seal fast special)is the solution here in a warm climate.
>if boat wheel bearing grease works in michogan, i dunno. frankly, i get 75% more mileage outa the
>pulleys with boat grease. but diluting the boat grease with finish line cc reduces effectiveness
>and turns the light grease combo into grinding compound. i clean four times a year at 1000plus
>miles each interval and that's not too frequent for positive resuklts and will buy moremoremopre
>from the squidpeople after sending the catalog to tibet for translations

I think gene presents a pretty striking paradigm for the risks in using grease that is not
lithium-based.
-------------------------------
John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Now in our twenty-first year. Our catalogue of track
equipment: eighth year online. http://www.businesscycles.com

John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote:
:
: "Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit." - Seneca
[snip]
: I think gene presents a pretty striking paradigm for the risks in using grease that is not
: lithium-based.

lithium based, in this case, may be dual purpose esp wrt to your latin quote.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

the answer may lye in a mil spec grease for seabee bulldozers??

no, he can't be speaking of me becaws he knows not and if he does he's speaking about something that
is not in your domain. turd, he (plural) may consider idea A to mean B but in fact idea A means
something outside both your umvelts or gestalts. but that's hard to pin down. as who are you. in
fact, it is possible to take the opposite position: bike tech is a fabrication created by sheldon
browns computer expertise via multipule email addresses. try "the spy who came in from the cold"

On 23 Jan 2004 08:50:33 -0800, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:
>the answer may lye in a mil spec grease for seabee bulldozers??

You are wise, indeed. That is the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything. Or
was it 42...

How well does mil spec grease for seabee bulldozers work with a DIY cable /bike luber?

>no, he can't be speaking of me becaws he knows not

We speak of you, yet we know not; we cannot know, for your unintelligibility is surpassed only by
your incoherence.

>and if he does he's speaking about something that is not in your domain.

I don't have a domain anymore; I never paid the NIC for it's renewal.

>turd, he (plural) may consider idea A to mean B but in fact idea A means something outside both
>your umvelts or gestalts.

What does synergy have to do with plural turd? And how did the alphabet get mixed up in it?

>but that's hard to pin down.

Why would you want to pin turd down? Are you expecting it to sprout wings and fly?

>as who are you.

"Who who, who who I really want to know Whoooooo are you who who, who who tell me who are you
whoooooo are you who who, who who aw, who the fsck are you..."

>in fact, it is possible to take the opposite position: bike tech is a fabrication created by
>sheldon browns computer expertise via multipule email addresses.

Be careful, and don't mention any thought of Sheldon abusing cyclingforums.com; you don't want to
attract Carl Fogel's attention, at which point he will commence showing you all sorts of logic to
disprove your hypothesis.

>try "the spy who came in from the cold"

As in http://www.film.u-net.com/Movies/Reviews/Spy_Came_Cold.html

Today, coming in from the cold was my highest priority any time I went outside. It was really cold
(-12c) and very windy, making the cold much, much worse.

Thank you for returning to your usual level of unintelligible incoherence. For awhile, I saw you
posting more coherently and I was scared that you would post normal messages, and take away some of
the challenge found in trying to decipher your ramblings.
--
Rick Onanian

a PC connection is lika trumpet some people blow into it other people make music with it
or a bicycle

a web connection is lika analytical tool to supplement the human brain not a frontal lobe substitoot

dogs don't fly and ya cant ride a trumpet next idea!!! puta trumpet mouthpiece ona bike tube
witha.... very tech!! get dizzy!!

On 24 Jan 2004 09:19:39 -0800, [email protected] (g.daniels) wrote:
>a PC connection is lika trumpet

Yours seems more like a butt trumpet.

>some people blow into it

Your coherence sure blows. <G>

>other people make music with it

I make music out of your messages, sometimes, when I see something that reminds me of
existing lyrics.

>or a bicycle

That might make sense, this being a bicycle newsfroup and what not.

>a web connection is lika analytical tool to supplement the human brain

You appear to need all the supplements you can get!

>not a frontal lobe substitoot

That is abundantly obvious. The Human Carp Fish knows where you can get one transplanted, though:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=&selm=329F56CC.18E4%40orgo.cad.gu.edu.au

>dogs don't fly and ya cant ride a trumpet

My girlfriend's dogs are small enough to fly if I were to tie them to largish kites on a windy day;
and if they misbehave...

You can ride a trumpet. Mount it to a seatpost. Be sure your shorts are well padded.

>next idea!!!

These are ideas?

>puta trumpet mouthpiece ona bike tube witha....

No, better, put a tuba on a bike! I can't wait.

>very tech!! get dizzy!!

It seems you are dizzy. Keep up the good work!
--
Rick Onanian

there are concepts not meant to be understood. this is one of them