Rear Derailleur Pulley Wheel Compatibility

Colin

Guest
I am using a 8-speed '98 XT long cage Rear D. Intending to change both my 10T pulley wheels. However
my local bike shop is only selling XTR 11T Pulley wheels instead. Are they compatible for use on my
8-speed system?

> I am using a 8-speed '98 XT long cage Rear D. Intending to change both my 10T pulley wheels.
> However my local bike shop is only selling XTR 11T Pulley wheels instead. Are they compatible for
> use on my 8-speed system?

I tried that once and it didn't work. When on the 11t pulley, teh chain will likely hit the little
retainer tab on the derailer cage. Your LBS should be able to order you a 10 tooth pulley, although
it may not be XTR (gasp!).

Kyle

colin wrote:
> I am using a 8-speed '98 XT long cage Rear D. Intending to change both my 10T pulley wheels.
> However my local bike shop is only selling XTR 11T Pulley wheels instead. Are they compatible for
> use on my 8-speed system?

Use Tacx,

colin wrote:

> I am using a 8-speed '98 XT long cage Rear D. Intending to change both my 10T pulley wheels.
> However my local bike shop is only selling XTR 11T Pulley wheels instead. Are they compatible for
> use on my 8-speed system?

Are you saying the shop does not have normal 10t derailleur rollers ,the ones which fit 90% of gear
changers in the world? And he suggested using bigger, more expensive ones in your derailleur cage?

If that's the case, shop elsewhere.