Rear Derailleur Pulley Wheel Compatibility

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Colin, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Colin

    Colin Guest

    I am using a 8-speed '98 XT long cage Rear D. Intending to change both my 10T pulley wheels. However
    my local bike shop is only selling XTR 11T Pulley wheels instead. Are they compatible for use on my
    8-speed system?

    Tags:

  2. Kyle.B.H

    Kyle.B.H Guest

    > I am using a 8-speed '98 XT long cage Rear D. Intending to change both my 10T pulley wheels.
    > However my local bike shop is only selling XTR 11T Pulley wheels instead. Are they compatible for
    > use on my 8-speed system?

    I tried that once and it didn't work. When on the 11t pulley, teh chain will likely hit the little
    retainer tab on the derailer cage. Your LBS should be able to order you a 10 tooth pulley, although
    it may not be XTR (gasp!).

    Kyle

  3. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    colin wrote:
    > I am using a 8-speed '98 XT long cage Rear D. Intending to change both my 10T pulley wheels.
    > However my local bike shop is only selling XTR 11T Pulley wheels instead. Are they compatible for
    > use on my 8-speed system?

    Use Tacx,

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    colin wrote:

    > I am using a 8-speed '98 XT long cage Rear D. Intending to change both my 10T pulley wheels.
    > However my local bike shop is only selling XTR 11T Pulley wheels instead. Are they compatible for
    > use on my 8-speed system?

    Are you saying the shop does not have normal 10t derailleur rollers ,the ones which fit 90% of gear
    changers in the world? And he suggested using bigger, more expensive ones in your derailleur cage?

    If that's the case, shop elsewhere.