Rear Derailleur question

Ron

Guest
If you read my previous post you will know I was looking for a longer
pulley bolt, LLBean's which is down the street from me actually found
one for me!

Now, I put everything back together (Shimano Alvio on a 97 Specialized
Hardrock GX)but when the chain is on the smallest cog, the chain rubs up
along the bottem of the derailleur cage, in fact the cage is almost
parrallel to the chain stay. The "B" adjustment screw is in its proper
place and setting. I am fluxed. Any ideas? Thanks Ron

Ron wrote:
---snip---
>when the chain is on the smallest cog, the chain rubs up
> along the bottem of the derailleur cage, in fact the cage is almost
> parrallel to the chain stay. The "B" adjustment screw is in its proper
> place and setting. I am fluxed. Any ideas? Thanks Ron

---/snip---

If I understand what you are describing correctly (While in the
small-small combo, rear der. cage has no chain tension upon it, and due
to its angle, is subject to chain rub), your chain is too long. Take
out a link or two, and you should be fine.

SYJ

Ron wrote:
> If you read my previous post you will know I was looking for a longer
> pulley bolt, LLBean's which is down the street from me actually found
> one for me!
>
> Now, I put everything back together (Shimano Alvio on a 97 Specialized
> Hardrock GX)but when the chain is on the smallest cog, the chain rubs up
> along the bottem of the derailleur cage, in fact the cage is almost
> parrallel to the chain stay. The "B" adjustment screw is in its proper
> place and setting. I am fluxed. Any ideas? Thanks Ron

Shorten the chain.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Ron wrote:
>> If you read my previous post you will know I was looking for a longer
>> pulley bolt, LLBean's which is down the street from me actually found
>> one for me!
>>
>> Now, I put everything back together (Shimano Alvio on a 97 Specialized
>> Hardrock GX)but when the chain is on the smallest cog, the chain rubs up
>> along the bottem of the derailleur cage, in fact the cage is almost
>> parrallel to the chain stay. The "B" adjustment screw is in its proper
>> place and setting. I am fluxed. Any ideas? Thanks Ron

> Shorten the chain.

Here is a photo. The chain is the original and in fact I removed a link
last summer when I cleaned the chain and damaged a link. The derailleur
just doesn't look right to me. Anyone agree?