Rear derailleur question

Karstens Rage

Guest
What is the difference between the rear derailleur with the two
sprockets on a short arm vs. the one on a long arm. Where the sprockets
are either close together or further apart. Is the longer arm for a
triple crankset to take up the extra chain?

http://karstensrage.blogspot.com/
Rants and raves about pretty much anything I happen to be thinking about

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:40:11 -0700, Karstens Rage <[email protected]>
wrote:

>What is the difference between the rear derailleur with the two
>sprockets on a short arm vs. the one on a long arm. Where the sprockets
>are either close together or further apart. Is the longer arm for a
>triple crankset to take up the extra chain?

Long arm rear derailleurs are also used with single or double chain
rings when you have a wide range cassette or freewheel on the rear.
Yes, it's to take up the extra chain and give to you room for the
large sprockets
--
zk