Rear derailleur questions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by sfcycle, Aug 2, 2007.

1. sfcycle

sfcycle New Member

Hi all,

New to the board and new to fixing my own bike.

I've got a 1997 Giant mountain bike that came with a Shimano 7 speed derailleur. The derailleur is bent and I want to replace it and somewhat upgrade the component. (Better component, but not crazy $$ component)

As I look around at derailleurs, I see some 8 speed and a lot of 9 / 10 speed.

It appears that the 8 speed could be used for a 7 speed, but how about a 9 speed? Is it a matter of limiting the derailleur travel to go through 7 gears instead of 9 or are there inherent differences that would make that not possible. Sorry for the basic questions, but trying to learn.

Given the above, any recommendations on a quality, yet not grossly expensive derailleur for my 7 speed? I'll throw out $40 - $50 as a price range I consider reasonable for me.

Thanks for any info you can offer.
    Mike

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Mike, is the Derailleur frame mounted or axle mounted?

Shimano have both and the quality is excellent, flow down from the higher level components. ... Look for:

3. John M

John M New Member

9/10 will have too narrow of a cage for your chain. You could use a 9-s with a 9-s chain in your drivetrain, but to no advantage (and a front shifting diminished performance).

If you can't find a suitable 7s, an 8s will work well.

4. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

Not to worry.

Rear derailleurs don't care about how many cogs you have on the back. They guide the chain from the center and all chains are the same width in the center.

Rear derailleurs do have some differences in how they mount on the bike frame so you need to match what you have. There are also some differences in matching your shifters so, on a 1997 bike, you need to take that into account.

Honestly, without seeing your derailleur, I'm not convinced you need to replace it. Generally, on a 7-speed bike, you should be able to "eyeball" your derailleur back into line accurately enough to repair your shifting.

5. sfcycle

sfcycle New Member

Thanks for the comments so far.

The derailleur is frame mounted, just below the axle.

The derailleur does shift generally ok. What made me wonder about replacing it is when I look down as I'm riding, the chain on the top and bottom are not in alignment and I am under the impression they should be in line to avoid side pressure on the cogs, almost like cross chaining (if my lingo is right). It appear the derailleur is bent inwards.

From your comments it sounds as if I could "gently" coax the derailleur back in line...???

I was thinking about nursing the old along and then replacing it this winter, but we'll see how the realignment goes.

6. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

7. pistole

pistole New Member

- just bend the thing back into line.