rear derailleur woes....(possibly)

suer

Guest
My 15 year old Roberts touring bike had the chain start jumping on the
big chainring but not on the middle chainring. Big chainring was
shark-toothed and incidentally so was middle chainring. (Campag ATB
Record).

I've just fitted new TA Campag-pattern middle and big ring (last night,
fiddly job having to also unbolt the little chainring allen-bolts too).

Chain and sprockets have been replaced over the years a few times.

But even with new chainrings, it still slips horribly on the big
chainring if I push down hard on the pedals, yet is well-behaved on the
middle chainring.

I suspect the rear Campag mech has a broken spring or summat...is there
a diagram anywhere of what a Campag Record rear mech should look like,
components-wise.

It is making a "tick-tick" noise and flicking slightly forwards with
each tick too, which it didn't used to do. Hence why I suspect a spring
has broken so it's not able to tension big gears (big ring) only medium
and small gears (middle ring and, if I were to find a 1-in-5 hill, small
ring).

The chainrings needed replacing anyway.

Cheers,

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:05:00 +0100
suer <[email protected]> wrote:

> My 15 year old Roberts touring bike had the chain start jumping on
> the big chainring but not on the middle chainring. Big chainring was
> shark-toothed and incidentally so was middle chainring. (Campag ATB
> Record).
>
> I've just fitted new TA Campag-pattern middle and big ring (last
> night, fiddly job having to also unbolt the little chainring
> allen-bolts too).
>
> Chain and sprockets have been replaced over the years a few times.
>
> But even with new chainrings, it still slips horribly on the big
> chainring if I push down hard on the pedals, yet is well-behaved on
> the middle chainring.
>
> I suspect the rear Campag mech has a broken spring or summat...

It seems more likely that you need a new chain, and probably
freewheel/cassette too.

On 06/06/2008 18:05, suer said,

> But even with new chainrings, it still slips horribly on the big
> chainring if I push down hard on the pedals, yet is well-behaved on the
> middle chainring.

I would go along with Rob - your chain is knackered. If it's got to the
stage you describe, I would suggest a new chain and cassette. I don't
think you'll find there's anything wrong with the derailleur.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 6 Jun, 19:31, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> I would go along with Rob - your chain is knackered.  If it's got to the
> stage you describe, I would suggest a new chain and cassette.  I don't
> think you'll find there's anything wrong with the derailleur.

Easy enough to check with a ruler, have a look at "Measuring Chain
Wear" here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

In article <20080606182656.240cd35b@bluemoon>,
Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> It seems more likely that you need a new chain, and probably
> freewheel/cassette too.

Indeedy, the chain proved to be the culprit.

New chain and sprockets, all running hunkydory now, and just been
well-tested in a week of Dartmouth/Dawlish/Haldon Forest hills. No
slippage or jumpage. Thanks!