Rear Derailleurs

Great Eastern

Guest
Great Eastern wrote on 13/01/2007 14:39 +0100:
> I currently have a rear derailleur on my bike which is screwed to the
> frame, and then has the space for the rear axle just like the one
> shown in the pic (although mine is a Shimano one):
> http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000BO80RK.01-A3NN9THRUBU1AW._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif
>

> Looking at new ones, as shown
> (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11969) they
> attach differently....I assume then this style has replaced the old
> type its not possible to fit these new ones??

The one you have is the silver metal plate called a hanger and the
derailleur screwed into it. It looks like your's has a cover over the
allen bolt which screws the two together and you should be able to
remove that and unscrew it from the hanger and screw the new one in its
place. What you remove will look like the chain reaction link picture
and the allen bolt is that round hole on the top left. The hanger bit
on its own will look a bit like one of these:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=hanger&x=0&y=0

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

In article <[email protected]>, Great Eastern
[email protected] says...
> I currently have a rear derailleur on my bike which is screwed to the
> frame, and then has the space for the rear axle just like the one shown
> in the pic (although mine is a Shimano one):
> http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000BO80RK.01-A3NN9THRUBU1AW._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif
>
> Looking at new ones, as shown
> (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11969) they
> attach differently....I assume then this style has replaced the old type
> its not possible to fit these new ones??

The ones with the integral bracket are el cheapo - both types have been
available for a long time. If the bracket on your mech isn't removable
you can get a separate one that will allow the fitting of a better mech
to your frame.

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Great Eastern
> [email protected] says...
>> I currently have a rear derailleur on my bike which is screwed to the
>> frame, and then has the space for the rear axle just like the one
>> shown in the pic (although mine is a Shimano one):
>> http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000BO80RK.01-A3NN9THRUBU1AW._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif
>>
>> Looking at new ones, as shown
>> (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11969) they
>> attach differently....I assume then this style has replaced the old
>> type its not possible to fit these new ones??
>>

> The ones with the integral bracket are el cheapo - both types have
> been available for a long time. If the bracket on your mech isn't
> removable you can get a separate one that will allow the fitting of a
> better mech to your frame.

Or those with the bracket are ancient.

I have an 1980's one with a removable bracket (Shimano), supplied with the
bracket.
The usual (modern) fitting allen screw removes the mechanism from the
bracket.

Off topic link for the OP:
http://www.nigelcliffe.photobook.org.uk/c310576.html

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

In article <[email protected]>, Nigel Cliffe
[email protected] says...
> Rob Morley wrote:

> > The ones with the integral bracket are el cheapo - both types have
> > been available for a long time. If the bracket on your mech isn't
> > removable you can get a separate one that will allow the fitting of a
> > better mech to your frame.

> Or those with the bracket are ancient.
>
> I have an 1980's one with a removable bracket (Shimano), supplied with the
> bracket.
> The usual (modern) fitting allen screw removes the mechanism from the
> bracket.

By 'integral' I meant fixed rather than removable.

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Nigel Cliffe
> [email protected] says...
>> Rob Morley wrote:

>>> The ones with the integral bracket are el cheapo - both types have
>>> been available for a long time. If the bracket on your mech isn't
>>> removable you can get a separate one that will allow the fitting of
>>> a better mech to your frame.

>> Or those with the bracket are ancient.
>>
>> I have an 1980's one with a removable bracket (Shimano), supplied
>> with the bracket.
>> The usual (modern) fitting allen screw removes the mechanism from the
>> bracket.
>>

> By 'integral' I meant fixed rather than removable.

OK, agree with your "el cheapo" description.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

in message <[email protected]>, Great Eastern
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I currently have a rear derailleur on my bike which is screwed to the
> frame, and then has the space for the rear axle just like the one shown
> in the pic (although mine is a Shimano one):

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000BO80RK.01-A3NN9THRUBU1AW._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Used to be common in the 1960s, now only on the very cheapest derailleurs.

> Looking at new ones, as shown
> (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11969)

Now almost universal.

> they
> attach differently....I assume then this style has replaced the old type
> its not possible to fit these new ones??

It isn't as bad as that. What's changed is that the derailleur hanger (the
hooky bit at the top of the first picture) is now normally part of the
frame (or else is a special fitting to the frame). This helps to make the
alignment more precise. But the old style hook-on-the-axle hangers still
work, and if you unbolt the one from your old derailleur you will almost
certainly find that your new derailleur will bolt straight onto it.

;; Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> It isn't as bad as that. What's changed is that the derailleur hanger (the
> hooky bit at the top of the first picture) is now normally part of the
> frame (or else is a special fitting to the frame). This helps to make the
> alignment more precise. But the old style hook-on-the-axle hangers still
> work, and if you unbolt the one from your old derailleur you will almost
> certainly find that your new derailleur will bolt straight onto it.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I can see what you mean now
regarding the parts, however I doubt I'm going to find a replacement
which is suitable for a 6 speed!

Great Eastern wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for the replies, I can see what you mean now
> regarding the parts, however I doubt I'm going to find a replacement
> which is suitable for a 6 speed!

I know that one shouldn't follow up on ones own posts but...

....I've just realised, it doesn't matter does it. an 8 or 9 speed
deraileur will work on 6 no fuss...its if I were trying to do the
opposite I'd have problems.

Great Eastern wrote on 13/01/2007 21:31 +0100:

> Thanks to everyone for the replies, I can see what you mean now
> regarding the parts, however I doubt I'm going to find a replacement
> which is suitable for a 6 speed!

Any Shimano derailleur should be a suitable replacement - they are not
dependent on the number of speeds so as long as you stick with the same
brand you can't go far wrong. Some of the cheap end of the range (the
TY ones) even still come with the hanger included.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

in message <[email protected]>, Great
Eastern ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> It isn't as bad as that. What's changed is that the derailleur hanger
>> (the hooky bit at the top of the first picture) is now normally part of
>> the frame (or else is a special fitting to the frame). This helps to
>> make the alignment more precise. But the old style hook-on-the-axle
>> hangers still work, and if you unbolt the one from your old derailleur
>> you will almost certainly find that your new derailleur will bolt
>> straight onto it.

> Thanks to everyone for the replies, I can see what you mean now
> regarding the parts, however I doubt I'm going to find a replacement
> which is suitable for a 6 speed!

Unless you're using an indexed lever, it doesn't matter how many 'speeds'
it says it is. The derailleur mechanism itself doesn't care. What matters
is that it can take up enough slack chain and has sufficient lateral
travel; provided it satisfies those criteria it will work. And seeing
modern systems have more lateral travel than older ones, all you have to
worry about is the chain capacity.

I'd advise not using one designed for nine or ten speed chains, as the cage
on those might be a bit narrow for a six speed chain.

Ring of great evil
Small one casts it into flame
Bringing rise of Men ;; gonzoron

Simon Brooke wrote on 13/01/2007 23:28 +0100:

> I'd advise not using one designed for nine or ten speed chains, as the cage
> on those might be a bit narrow for a six speed chain.

Sheldon suggests the opposite:

"Rear derailers often are referred to as "7-speed", "8-speed" or
"9-speed." This is not as important a distinction as it might appear.
Current model derailers are pretty much interchangeable within brands. A
"7-speed" or "8-speed" designation generally just indicates that the
derailer is an older design, or a cheaper model. They'll all work with
all 3 systems, though the models marked "9-speed" will generally be
slightly better (whatever cluster you use.)"
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/derailers-rear.html

--

Simon Brooke wrote:
> I'd advise not using one designed for nine or ten speed chains, as the cage
> on those might be a bit narrow for a six speed chain.

I'm in the process of changing my freewheel for a non-broken one so have
a new chain ready anyway.

I'm also going to replace the Bottom Bracket as the current one
sometimes makes worrying noises so a better crankset will be used as well.

In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
[email protected] says...
> Simon Brooke wrote on 13/01/2007 23:28 +0100:
> >
> > I'd advise not using one designed for nine or ten speed chains, as the cage
> > on those might be a bit narrow for a six speed chain.
> >

> Sheldon suggests the opposite:

But Sheldon can't even spell derailleur. ;^>

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> I have an 1980's one with a removable bracket (Shimano), supplied with the
> bracket.
> The usual (modern) fitting allen screw removes the mechanism from the
> bracket.

Probably El Cheapo was the case with this one, now replaced with a much
better version which had the hanger with it.

> Off topic link for the OP:
> http://www.nigelcliffe.photobook.org.uk/c310576.html

Ah very good. A railway museum near to me has a GER 4 wheel coach,
Number 19, which is supposedly very near to complete after some
restoration, will be interesting when its complete!