Rear deraillleur-Shimano or Sram?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Lou, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Lou

    Lou Guest

    What's the pros/cons of using the Shimano 2:1 ratio rear derailleur vs. the
    Sram 1:1 rear derailleur with either using grip shifters?
    I have only used Shimano and it works fine but I have broken the cable a
    few times at the cable clamping bolt. I tried not to tighten it too tight,
    but how tight is too tight? Maybe I am twisting the grip shifter too
    aggressively or too far?
    Would the 1:1 ratio of the Sram have less stress on the cable and prevent
    cable breaking?

    Thanks,
    Lou

    Tags:

  2. Lou wrote:
    > What's the pros/cons of using the Shimano 2:1 ratio rear derailleur
    > vs. the Sram 1:1 rear derailleur with either using grip shifters?

    More accurate shifting. Shifting cable pull anomalies have twice the effect
    on Shimano systems.

    > I have only used Shimano and it works fine but I have broken the
    > cable a few times at the cable clamping bolt. I tried not to tighten
    > it too tight, but how tight is too tight? Maybe I am twisting the

    You need it just tight enough to prevent it from slipping during normal
    shifting.

    > grip shifter too aggressively or too far?
    > Would the 1:1 ratio of the Sram have less stress on the cable and
    > prevent cable breaking?

    It's most likely that you need your cables and housing replaced more often,
    and the last length of housing that goes into the rear derailleur needs to
    be longer so as to have a larger radius.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. I have 1 Shimano setup with no problem like yours. But
    I do have 6 Sram setups from 3.0 all the way to 9.0,X-9,and X Gen so you
    know what I like.

  4. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    Lou wrote:
    > What's the pros/cons of using the Shimano 2:1 ratio rear derailleur vs. the
    > Sram 1:1 rear derailleur with either using grip shifters?
    > I have only used Shimano and it works fine but I have broken the cable a
    > few times at the cable clamping bolt. I tried not to tighten it too tight,
    > but how tight is too tight? Maybe I am twisting the grip shifter too
    > aggressively or too far?
    > Would the 1:1 ratio of the Sram have less stress on the cable and prevent
    > cable breaking?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Lou

    SRAM is just better. Take my word for it, a nameless, faceless dweeb
    you met on the internet. But I'm right, too.. heheh

    CDB

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    Paladin wrote:
    > Lou wrote:
    >> What's the pros/cons of using the Shimano 2:1 ratio rear derailleur
    >> vs. the Sram 1:1 rear derailleur with either using grip shifters?
    >> I have only used Shimano and it works fine but I have broken the
    >> cable a few times at the cable clamping bolt. I tried not to tighten
    >> it too tight, but how tight is too tight? Maybe I am twisting the
    >> grip shifter too aggressively or too far?
    >> Would the 1:1 ratio of the Sram have less stress on the cable and
    >> prevent cable breaking?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Lou

    > SRAM is just better. Take my word for it, a nameless, faceless dweeb
    > you met on the internet. But I'm right, too.. heheh
    >
    > CDB

    ah ah death to you!

  6. Lou

    Lou Guest

    "Dave Mennenoh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I switched to SRAM last spring and will never go back to Shimano... not
    >that I don't like Shimano but I thin SRAM is more precise - plus it looks
    >cooler.
    >
    > --
    > Dave -
    > www.blurredistinction.com
    > www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/

    Thanks for all the responses.
    Looks like they are both good products and its really a matter of personal
    preference.
    My problem is probable mostly user error, but the SRAM sounds like something
    that I might like to try.

    Thanks,
    Lou

  7. Try some SX before you go higher in chain gang of Sram.
    And you just could be a turn coat from the other big S from Jap land.