Rear drop out spread

Tonto

Nov 3, 2003
Hi,
Quick question.....I'm looking at buying a frame which has a 133mm spread between the rear dropouts. Am I confusing this with something else or isn't 130mm the standard for modern frames?

Thanks,
Tonto.

Edit:
Just as I posted this it occurred to me that usually the 130mm measurement is from the inside of the drop outs. Maybe the 133mm is centre to centre? I had thought it was always measued from the insides?

Tonto said:
Hi,
Quick question.....I'm looking at buying a frame which has a 133mm spread between the rear dropouts. Am I confusing this with something else or isn't 130mm the standard for modern frames?

Thanks,
Tonto.

Edit:
Just as I posted this it occurred to me that usually the 130mm measurement is from the inside of the drop outs. Maybe the 133mm is centre to centre? I had thought it was always measued from the insides?

You are correct that proper measurement is inside to inside and that standard road is 130mm. Some frames intended for touring or cyclocross duty have been made with 132-133mm dropout width to allow use of either standard 130mm road hubs or 135mm MTB style hubs, which some riders favor for their extra durability under the heavy abuse incurred in loaded touring or cross racing. Similarly, my 1993 Kestrel 200Sci was made with 128mm dropouts to allow either the old 126mm 7s road spacing, or the "new" at the time, 130mm spacing.

John M said:
You are correct that proper measurement is inside to inside and that standard road is 130mm. Some frames intended for touring or cyclocross duty have been made with 132-133mm dropout width to allow use of either standard 130mm road hubs or 135mm MTB style hubs, which some riders favor for their extra durability under the heavy abuse incurred in loaded touring or cross racing. Similarly, my 1993 Kestrel 200Sci was made with 128mm dropouts to allow either the old 126mm 7s road spacing, or the "new" at the time, 130mm spacing.

Thanks John. That actually makes a lot of sense as the frame is made from Columbus Brain tubing which is commonly used on cyclocross frames.