REAR END gears what do u run

LB CYCLIST

Mar 22, 2010
well i mentioned before that my chain was slippin on the 2 smaller cogs,turns out my 2 of my cogs on my cassette are worn out,im lookin at buyin a new cassette and chain,
just wondering what gears does everyone run on there bikes?what brand ?

im lookin at pickin up some fsa,compact cranks (170) but not sure what to get for my rear casestte,its a 8 speed.:confused:
11-32
12-21
12-32
12-25
i want something that will give me good acceleration and nice top end speed,i do plan on training for some cryterium riding and god willin be able to rid in the back of the pack for a small period of time till i get as fast as the other guys.

any info will help.
thanks

CdnRider

Apr 16, 2010
I have a few. Mounted on different wheels.

Suntour - 13-22 (it's old!)
ultegra - 12-23
dura-ace - 12-21
random shimano?? 13-23

not many hills where I live so a 23cog is the biggest I have. Rarely sees action.

alfeng

Jul 23, 2005
LB CYCLIST said:
well i mentioned before that my chain was slippin on the 2 smaller cogs,turns out my 2 of my cogs on my cassette are worn out,im lookin at buyin a new cassette and chain,

im lookin at pickin up some fsa,compact cranks (170) but not sure what to get for my rear casestte,its a 8 speed.:confused:
11-32
12-21
12-32
12-25
i want something that will give me good acceleration and nice top end speed,i do plan on training for some cryterium riding and god willin be able to rid in the back of the pack for a small period of time till i get as fast as the other guys.
It doesn't matter what cassette anyone else is using ...

Acceleration is a byproduct of YOUR leg strength, cadence & the chainring-cog combination you choose to use at a given point in time.

You need to calculate what the lowest gear you are currently using by arithmetically determining the ratio of the largest cog you use + what I presume is a 39t chainring.

Since you are apparently in Long Beach, you do want an 11t cog ...

Unless you are taking long rides to the east or north into some hillier terrain, then you probably don't need very large cogs (i.e., 30t, or larger) ...

Since there doesn't appear to be an 8-speed cassette with an 11-23 or 11-26 combination, I recommend you get an 11-28 8-speed SRAM (!?!) cassette.

A 34t chainring + 28t cog will get most people up most hills, BTW.

anonimo

Dec 19, 2009
LB CYCLIST said:

11-32
12-21
12-32
12-25

any info will help.
thanks
I have a 16 tooth cog on the rear and a 46 (or 48) chainring . . . . hooked up to a Rohloff Speedhub (14-speed internal gearing). Guess you're not interested in that, though . . .