Rear hub problem/howto?

Some time ago I opened the rear hub on my Nishiki 601 (it's
Shimano STX/STX RC, Parallax from '98). I disassembled some parts
and I think I took out some of the balls from the bearings though
I put them back almost immediately.

Not many miles after that some problems started: at first the
wheel did not rotate that fluidly, then later it started wobbling
a bit sideways (well if you grab the rim you can tilt it by maybe
1 cm).

Is there a good howto online how to service your rear hub and fix
problems like these? Previously somebody advised me to check the
preload on the wheel (quick lock) but I have little clue what it
should be set at.

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.iki.fi/~varis/
name name at no spam please nixu com

[email protected] wrote:
> Some time ago I opened the rear hub on my Nishiki 601 (it's
> Shimano STX/STX RC, Parallax from '98). I disassembled some parts
> and I think I took out some of the balls from the bearings though
> I put them back almost immediately.
>
> Not many miles after that some problems started: at first the
> wheel did not rotate that fluidly, then later it started wobbling
> a bit sideways (well if you grab the rim you can tilt it by maybe
> 1 cm).

That is a lot! There may be some major problem there.

> Is there a good howto online how to service your rear hub and fix
> problems like these? Previously somebody advised me to check the
> preload on the wheel (quick lock) but I have little clue what it
> should be set at.

A trace of play should be detectable when the quick release is partially
open, and should dissappear when fully closed. That's a way of testing
it's just right.

SB has some good tips on final adjustment (involving using two cone
spanners or two locknut spanners at the same time: a trick Park miss):
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

~PB

[email protected] wrote:
> Some time ago I opened the rear hub on my Nishiki 601 (it's
> Shimano STX/STX RC, Parallax from '98). I disassembled some parts
> and I think I took out some of the balls from the bearings though
> I put them back almost immediately.
>
> Not many miles after that some problems started: at first the
> wheel did not rotate that fluidly, then later it started wobbling
> a bit sideways (well if you grab the rim you can tilt it by maybe
> 1 cm).
>
> Is there a good howto online how to service your rear hub and fix
> problems like these? Previously somebody advised me to check the
> preload on the wheel (quick lock) but I have little clue what it
> should be set at.

Count your balls.