Rear LED switching itself off

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Phileas, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Phileas

    Phileas Guest

    Does anyone have a solution to the problem of a rear LED (Vistalite 5 LED
    job) switching itself off when shaken/bumped? (Apart from buying a new one!)

    Phileas

    Tags:

  2. Phileas wrote:
    > Does anyone have a solution to the problem of a rear LED (Vistalite 5
    > LED job) switching itself off when shaken/bumped? (Apart from buying
    > a new one!)
    >
    > Phileas

    Mine doesn't do that. Check for loose wires/connectors

  3. Phileas

    Phileas Guest

    "Martin Newstead (MSeries)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Mine doesn't do that. Check for loose wires/connectors

    I've got two identical ones which both do it. There are no obvious loose
    connections.

    Phileas

  4. Phileas wrote:
    > "Martin Newstead (MSeries)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Mine doesn't do that. Check for loose wires/connectors
    >>

    > I've got two identical ones which both do it. There are no obvious
    > loose connections.
    >
    > Phileas

    b***er I expect mine will also. I'll give it a shake tonight ! Does it
    switch itself back on ?

  5. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > I've got two identical ones which both do it. There are no obvious loose
    > connections.

    Maybe some corosion on the battery, the contacts to the battery or the pressure of the contacts pressing against the battery.

    "Phileas" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > "Martin Newstead (MSeries)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Mine doesn't do that. Check for loose wires/connectors
    > >

    > I've got two identical ones which both do it. There are no obvious loose
    > connections.
    >
    > Phileas

  6. Phileas

    Phileas Guest

    "Martin Newstead (MSeries)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > b***er I expect mine will also. I'll give it a shake tonight ! Does it
    > switch itself back on ?

    It doesn't switch itself back on.

    I find it will go for months without it happening and then it keeps
    happening.

    Sometimes if I open the case I can get the same effect by applying pressure
    to various points.

    Phileas

  7. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:03:33 GMT, "Phileas" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone have a solution to the problem of a rear LED (Vistalite 5 LED
    >job) switching itself off when shaken/bumped? (Apart from buying a new one!)
    >
    >Phileas

    Howdy,

    Perhaps getting one of those "comfort" frames we have been reading
    about <g>.

    All the best,

    --
    Kenneth

  8. On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:14:14 GMT, "Phileas" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Martin Newstead (MSeries)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Mine doesn't do that. Check for loose wires/connectors
    >>

    >I've got two identical ones which both do it. There are no obvious loose
    >connections.
    >
    >Phileas

    Are you using rechargables or batteries that might be marginally
    shorter than other brands. It really sounds like the batteries are
    losing contact over bumps. It may be possible to bend the contacts to
    improve contact or maybe its corrosion/contaminents causing poor
    electrical connection.

    Another factor may be water in the switch mechanism. You'll need to
    open up and clean the switch contact possibly.

    Maybe its a symptom that the batteries are running down.

    Rechargable 1.2v batteries can cause problems like this where the
    actual hardware expects 1.5v batteries.

    Another possibility is try to isolate the rear light from shocks with
    carefully placed foam or rubber somewhere in the mounting assembly.

  9. "Phileas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've got two identical ones which both do it. There are no obvious loose
    > connections.

    If you've checked the connections then my money would be on some defect in
    the PCB, or the connection of components to the PCB - if you can do it by
    applying pressure at various points inside the case the chances are you are
    bending/flexing it slightly as you do so, causing break in the circuitry
    somewhere. A bump could do the same thing. Are they still under guarantee?
    I guess not or you'd have taken them back...

    Rich

  10. Phileas

    Phileas Guest

    "Martin Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:14:14 GMT, "Phileas" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >"Martin Newstead (MSeries)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]
    > >>
    > >> Mine doesn't do that. Check for loose wires/connectors
    > >>

    > >I've got two identical ones which both do it. There are no obvious loose
    > >connections.
    > >
    > >Phileas
    > >

    > Are you using rechargables or batteries that might be marginally
    > shorter than other brands. It really sounds like the batteries are
    > losing contact over bumps. It may be possible to bend the contacts to
    > improve contact or maybe its corrosion/contaminents causing poor
    > electrical connection.

    Tried that

    > Another factor may be water in the switch mechanism. You'll need to
    > open up and clean the switch contact possibly.

    I'll think about that.

    > Maybe its a symptom that the batteries are running down.

    Nope.

    > Rechargable 1.2v batteries can cause problems like this where the
    > actual hardware expects 1.5v batteries.

    I use rechargeble alkaline - 1.5V

    > Another possibility is try to isolate the rear light from shocks with
    > carefully placed foam or rubber somewhere in the mounting assembly.

    I was hoping someone else was having this problem as well - it seems strange
    that I have two lights, bought at different times, which both do this.

    Phileas

  11. On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:03:33 GMT, "Phileas" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message <[email protected]>:

    >Does anyone have a solution to the problem of a rear LED (Vistalite 5 LED
    >job) switching itself off when shaken/bumped? (Apart from buying a new one!)

    Dismantle, clean battery ends, clean the spring contacts, spring them
    a bit, reassemble. If that doesn't fix it, a small piece of paper
    wrapped round each battery will, IME. It's caused by momentary loss
    of contact, but you probably worked that our for yourself :)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  12. Paulmouk

    Paulmouk Guest

    Phileas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Does anyone have a solution to the problem of a rear LED (Vistalite 5 LED
    > job) switching itself off when shaken/bumped? (Apart from buying a new

    one!)

    > Phileas

    I've had two of these pack up.
    The latest one only works if I hold the button in!

    Paul.
    Remove junk to reply

  13. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    I have an LED that does this when the batteries start to run low. For me, a
    recharge of the batteries always fixes the problem.

    I use rechargable NiMH batteries. The batteries usually have plenty of life
    in them when this happens, but they've been going for a while. It seems the
    problem you describe is more sensitive to the loss of a little juice than
    the LEDs themselves. That is, the LEDs usually still have plenty of
    brightness if you can hold still and keep them on. I imagine this would be a
    big PITA with alkalyne batteries, but with rechargables it's really just an
    inconvenience.

    -Bruce-

  14. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    "Phileas" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does anyone have a solution to the problem of a rear LED (Vistalite 5 LED
    > job) switching itself off when shaken/bumped? (Apart from buying a new one!)

    I'm not familiar with that particular light, but I have observed a
    such a problem in some of my own rear blinkies. These are all lights
    that hold the batteries in a vertical position when clipped in place,
    and the weight of the batteries tends to flatten the spring contacts
    after a time. When the contacts get flabby enough to momentarily open
    the circuit, the light turns itself off when bumped.

    The seatpost mount that came with these lights holds them in a
    horizontal orientation, and when used that way, they never have a
    problem with turning themselves off. It is only when they are clipped
    vertically that they have the problem. When I wear them clipped onto
    my clothes, they stay on consistently, I assume because they do not
    receive shock loads.

    A partial remedy is to bend a deeper set into the contacts, but
    eventually the tabs will break off.

    Chalo Colina

  15. "Martin Newstead \(MSeries\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Phileas wrote:
    > > Does anyone have a solution to the problem of a rear LED (Vistalite 5
    > > LED job) switching itself off when shaken/bumped? (Apart from buying
    > > a new one!)
    > >
    > > Phileas

    > Mine doesn't do that. Check for loose wires/connectors

    Or loose batteries. Maybe the battery contacts have got a little
    squashed over time? If this is so you could prise them open a little.

    Don't know about Vistalites, but this has certainly heppened to me
    after using some rechargeables that were just a fraction larger than
    usual.

    Andrew.

  16. Andy M-S

    Andy M-S Guest

    "Phileas" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone have a solution to the problem of a rear LED (Vistalite 5 LED
    > job) switching itself off when shaken/bumped? (Apart from buying a new one!)
    >
    > Phileas

    I've had the same experience. In my case, the problem arose about six
    months after I had purchased the light, and was due to (as others have
    noted) the lower battery contacts, which had become compressed over
    time. A good bump could break the connection, which in turn reset the
    switch to off.

    I bent the contacts back (and replaced the batteries for good measure)
    and haven't had any problems with the unit in the last two years.

    I suspect that where you mount the light may have something to do with
    the useful life of the contacts--mine was seatstay mounted when it
    failed; locating it on the back of a saddlebag seems to help shield it
    from some of the bumps...

  17. > Does anyone have a solution to the problem of a rear LED
    > (Vistalite 5 LED job) switching itself off when shaken/bumped?
    > (Apart from buying a new one!)

    One of mine did the same thing intermittently last winter, while I
    changed batteries; cleaned the switch, tabs, and PCB; dismantled and
    searched for cracks in the PC board, etcetera, before I discovered that
    the switchoff was caused by a momentary loss of contact between one
    battery's positive end and the corresponding tab. The remedy was to bend
    the negative end tab [quite a lot] so as to apply more contact pressure
    between battery and tabs.