Rear Luggage Rack Web Site Update

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:58:43 -0700, jim beam
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Looking at the side-view pix of the Yuba Mondo,
>> it appears to me that the problem /has/ been addressed,

>not adequately imo. the main lateral loading is via the flex induced at
>the bb, and this has none. yes, it has some through the quasi "mixte"
>seat stays, but i have trouble believing that'll be adequate once you
>get the vehicle out of the parking lot.

Having owned an Xtracycle for a year during which I rode it as my
daily mount for five months, both light and laden, perhaps too much
is being made of "lateral stiffness".

Sure it flexes and that is perhaps just the nature of the beast. That
and a few other handling issues presents a short learning curve.

The way the bike is loaded affects its handling more than could be
compensated by any reasonable amount of truss work, IMO.

That these longtail bikes are beginning to be introduced now
indicates that the market is ready for them. They're attractive to
people contemplating going car-free or reducing their number of
automobile trips. There's bound to be some sorting out of design
issues with the bikes. It's disappointing that Kona didn't include
mounting for side-loaders. I think motorising them will become a
popular modification.
.. . . that and a keg carrying sidecar.
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:
> Having owned an Xtracycle for a year during which I rode it as my
> daily mount for five months, both light and laden, perhaps too much
> is being made of "lateral stiffness".
>
> Sure it flexes and that is perhaps just the nature of the beast. That
> and a few other handling issues presents a short learning curve.
>
> The way the bike is loaded affects its handling more than could be
> compensated by any reasonable amount of truss work, IMO.
>
> That these longtail bikes are beginning to be introduced now
> indicates that the market is ready for them. They're attractive to
> people contemplating going car-free or reducing their number of
> automobile trips. There's bound to be some sorting out of design
> issues with the bikes. It's disappointing that Kona didn't include
> mounting for side-loaders. I think motorising them will become a
> popular modification.
> . . . that and a keg carrying sidecar.

Been done, and nicely, by Phil Van Valkenberg, famous for his "Queen of
Sheba" bike/sidecar/keg often seen leading The Fat Tire Tour of (where
else??) Milkaukee!
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:08:05 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:
/
>> The way the bike is loaded affects its handling more than could be
>> compensated by any reasonable amount of truss work, IMO.
>>
>> That these longtail bikes are beginning to be introduced now
>> indicates that the market is ready for them. They're attractive to
>> people contemplating going car-free or reducing their number of
>> automobile trips. There's bound to be some sorting out of design
>> issues with the bikes. It's disappointing that Kona didn't include
>> mounting for side-loaders. I think motorising them will become a
>> popular modification.
>> . . . that and a keg carrying sidecar.

>Been done, and nicely, by Phil Van Valkenberg, famous for his "Queen of
>Sheba" bike/sidecar/keg often seen leading The Fat Tire Tour of (where
>else??) Milkaukee!

And no doubt popular

I'd think a tripod is probably best for handling a sloshing load.

Chariot makes a bolt on sidecar for carrying kids that isn't even
rated for a quarter-keg. I've carried more beer than that (in cans)
on the Xtracycle. Despite the weight I never got dropped.
--
zk

On Aug 13, 1:08 am, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Tom Keats wrote:

> >> Well, ermmm ...
> >> Zoot's a guy, like you 'n me....

> > And all this time I thought Zoot was a dinosaur!

> If you want dinosaurs, all you've gotta do is look
> closer to ...
>
> Nuhh.
>
> Never mind.
>
> I hope you Americans get something like FDR back.
> (along with Eleanor.) Heh -- the 2nd (3rd? 4th?
> 5th?) Coming :)
>
> Hey, Ike learnt from FDR, after all. In some ways
> Ike was more FDR than FDR. Highly-militarily-
> backgrounded-one-term-prez's, 'n all.

??? F.D. Roosevelt was Secretary of the Navy but never served in the
military. He was elected to four terms, but died in office; 'Ike'
Eisenhwer was elected to, and served, two terms

> They're the
> doves. The civvy suits are the hawks. In the
> meantime you're stuck with Herbie Hoover all over
> again. I feel for you.

Let's not insult Hoover by equating him with G W BU**SH**.

Hey spammer, this stuff goes to rec.bicycles.marketplace ONLY.

Zoot Katz wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:58:43 -0700, jim beam
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Looking at the side-view pix of the Yuba Mondo,
>>> it appears to me that the problem /has/ been addressed,

>> not adequately imo. the main lateral loading is via the flex induced at
>> the bb, and this has none. yes, it has some through the quasi "mixte"
>> seat stays, but i have trouble believing that'll be adequate once you
>> get the vehicle out of the parking lot.

> Having owned an Xtracycle for a year during which I rode it as my
> daily mount for five months, both light and laden, perhaps too much
> is being made of "lateral stiffness".
>
> Sure it flexes and that is perhaps just the nature of the beast. That
> and a few other handling issues presents a short learning curve.
>
> The way the bike is loaded affects its handling more than could be
> compensated by any reasonable amount of truss work, IMO.

but the xtracycle is one of the better designs - it's the others
previously cited that i believe will be much more problem.

Jym Dyer wrote:

> Hey spammer, this stuff goes to rec.bicycles.marketplace ONLY.

What are you talking about? No one in this thread posted anything for
sale. There is nothing for sale at the web site either. It's all just
informational.

On Aug 13, 5:41 pm, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:08:05 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> /
>
> >> The way the bike is loaded affects its handling more than could be
> >> compensated by any reasonable amount of truss work, IMO.

> >> That these longtail bikes are beginning to be introduced now
> >> indicates that the market is ready for them. They're attractive to
> >> people contemplating going car-free or reducing their number of
> >> automobile trips.

> I'd think a tripod is probably best for handling a sloshing load.
>
> Chariot makes a bolt on sidecar for carrying kids that isn't even
> rated for a quarter-keg. I've carried more beer than that (in cans)
> on the Xtracycle. Despite the weight I never got dropped.

What do you see as the advantage of the Xtracycle-type designs vs.
using a regular bike and attaching a trailer when needed for
especially heavy loads? Except for the added drag when climbing I
hardly notice the trailer even when carrying pretty heavy loads. And
it's nice to be able to detach the trailer in a few seconds and then
have a normal bike that's compatible with regular bike racks, mass
transit, etc.

In rec.bicycles.misc peter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 5:41 pm, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:08:05 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>> /

>> I'd think a tripod is probably best for handling a sloshing load.
>>
>> Chariot makes a bolt on sidecar for carrying kids that isn't even
>> rated for a quarter-keg. I've carried more beer than that (in cans)
>> on the Xtracycle. Despite the weight I never got dropped.

> What do you see as the advantage of the Xtracycle-type designs vs.
> using a regular bike and attaching a trailer when needed for
> especially heavy loads? Except for the added drag when climbing I
> hardly notice the trailer even when carrying pretty heavy loads. And
> it's nice to be able to detach the trailer in a few seconds and then
> have a normal bike that's compatible with regular bike racks, mass
> transit, etc.

Let me count the ways:

It handles better
No pushme-pullyou effect
Easier to carry passengers
Less drag (extra trailer wheels add drag)
It's narrower, no hitting bollards or curbs
No worries about having to lock up two things
I'd think of more, but I need to hit the road.

I've never had a problem with bike racks. I admit, I've never tried to
take it on mass transit. Other Xtra riders tell me you can take the
front wheel off and fit in the bus front racks fine.

I used a trailer for a couple years and never really liked it. The
Xtracycle is a lot more fun. It carries quite a lot even when I'm
carrying my daughters.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
One day a student came to Moon and said, "I understand how to make a better

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:13:18 -0700, Dane Buson <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> What do you see as the advantage of the Xtracycle-type designs vs.
>> using a regular bike and attaching a trailer when needed for
>> especially heavy loads? Except for the added drag when climbing I
>> hardly notice the trailer even when carrying pretty heavy loads. And
>> it's nice to be able to detach the trailer in a few seconds and then
>> have a normal bike that's compatible with regular bike racks, mass
>> transit, etc.

>Let me count the ways:
>
>It handles better
>No pushme-pullyou effect
>Easier to carry passengers
>Less drag (extra trailer wheels add drag)
>It's narrower, no hitting bollards or curbs
>No worries about having to lock up two things
>I'd think of more, but I need to hit the road.

No need to carry two sizes of spare inner tubes.
Only one trip up or down stairs instead of two.
It fits through doorways and is easier to manage in an elevator.
You can carry the bike with its load still attached.
It can be adapted to carry longer items than most trailers handle.
It's way sexier than a trailer.
And you can still haul a trailer with it if you need to.
--
zk

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:18:15 -0700, jim beam
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Sure it flexes and that is perhaps just the nature of the beast. That
>> and a few other handling issues presents a short learning curve.
>>
>> The way the bike is loaded affects its handling more than could be
>> compensated by any reasonable amount of truss work, IMO.

>but the xtracycle is one of the better designs - it's the others
>previously cited that i believe will be much more problem.

My friends at Momentum Magazine are getting a Big Dummy and a Ute
later this year. They're planning to do road-tests and a panel
review. I've volunteered to help with that project.
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:18:15 -0700, jim beam
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Sure it flexes and that is perhaps just the nature of the beast. That
>>> and a few other handling issues presents a short learning curve.
>>>
>>> The way the bike is loaded affects its handling more than could be
>>> compensated by any reasonable amount of truss work, IMO.

>> but the xtracycle is one of the better designs - it's the others
>> previously cited that i believe will be much more problem.

> My friends at Momentum Magazine are getting a Big Dummy and a Ute
> later this year. They're planning to do road-tests and a panel
> review. I've volunteered to help with that project.

excellent - looking forward to your report!

On Aug 14, 6:37 pm, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:13:18 -0700, Dane Buson <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >> What do you see as the advantage of the Xtracycle-type designs vs.
> >> using a regular bike and attaching a trailer when needed for
> >> especially heavy loads? Except for the added drag when climbing I
> >> hardly notice the trailer even when carrying pretty heavy loads. And
> >> it's nice to be able to detach the trailer in a few seconds and then
> >> have a normal bike that's compatible with regular bike racks, mass
> >> transit, etc.

> >Let me count the ways:

> >It handles better

Really? My bike with trailer handles the same as it does without the
trailer - just slower on the uphills. OTOH, my tandem handles like a
truck even if it doesn't have a load, and adding one does *not* make
the handling improve.

> >No pushme-pullyou effect

Hardly noticeable - and certainly far less objectionable than the side-
to-side force from having lots of weight loaded behind me on an
abnormally long bike.

> >Easier to carry passengers

I've had three in the trailer and it seemed pretty easy. Any more and
weight issues become a problem anyway on uphill stretches.

> >Less drag (extra trailer wheels add drag)

Rather minimal. OTOH, I have no extra weight or drag or inconvenience
on all the trips where the trailer isn't needed.

> >It's narrower, no hitting bollards or curbs

Haven't had a problem. But I have encountered trail entrances with a
deliberate twist that made it very difficult to get through with
anything longer than a regular bike. On a tour with our loaded tandem
we had to dismount a few times and unload all the bags so we could
lift the bike up and around the trail entrance barriers intended to
keep out motorized conveyances.

> >No worries about having to lock up two things

The bike and trailer are easy to lock up. The worry was about how to
lock up the stuff being carried.

> No need to carry two sizes of spare inner tubes.

No need in any event. 700c tubes fit just fine in smaller tires.

> Only one trip up or down stairs instead of two.

I'd rather have two easy trips than one difficult one. Negotiating
narrow stairways with a tandem was very difficult with two people -
I'd hate to have to do it with a similar length bike by myself.

> It fits through doorways and is easier to manage in an elevator.

Many of the BART elevators are just the right length for one regular
bicycle and the trailer fits nicely alongside. A longer bike won't
fit (nor is it allowed by BART rules). My trailer fits easily through
doorways.

> You can carry the bike with its load still attached.

You must be stronger than I am. If the load is sufficient to warrant
use of a trailer then I generally can't lift it easily by itself, much
less with a long bike attached.

> It can be adapted to carry longer items than most trailers handle.

I tow my 18' boat just fine using a trailer. How long a load fits on
the XtraCycle?

> It's way sexier than a trailer.
> And you can still haul a trailer with it if you need to.

I suppose I could do that too, but have never seen the need. I did
once see a tandem bike pulling a tandem tag-along with their two older
kids and that in turn was towing a trailer with the two younger kids.
Made for quite a train.

peter <[email protected]> writes:

> Many of the BART elevators are just the right length for one regular
> bicycle and the trailer fits nicely alongside. A longer bike won't
> fit (nor is it allowed by BART rules).

BZZZT, There are no longer any rules about the maximum size bike
allowed on BART. Tandems and Xtracycles are allowed.

Other places may have such rules, of course.

73, doug

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
> peter <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Many of the BART elevators are just the right length for one regular
>> bicycle and the trailer fits nicely alongside. A longer bike won't
>> fit (nor is it allowed by BART rules).
>>

> BZZZT, There are no longer any rules about the maximum size bike
> allowed on BART. Tandems and Xtracycles are allowed.
>
> Other places may have such rules, of course.
>
> 73, doug

Wasn't Peter referring to the elevators, not the actual train?

Neither trailers or xtracycles could be taken on CalTrain.

peter wrote:

> Really? My bike with trailer handles the same as it does without the
> trailer - just slower on the uphills. OTOH, my tandem handles like a
> truck even if it doesn't have a load, and adding one does *not* make
> the handling improve.

In terms of handling, you're much better off with a trailer than an
Xtracycle. The trailer doesn't really affect handling at all, aa long as
it's mounted down near the rear chainstays. You're better off carrying
the load lower as well.

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:16:43 -0700, peter <[email protected]>
wrote, in part:
/
>> You can carry the bike with its load still attached.

>You must be stronger than I am. If the load is sufficient to warrant
>use of a trailer then I generally can't lift it easily by itself, much
>less with a long bike attached.

Xtracycle have a "gravity advantage juju" located low at the bike's
new center of balance. The front of the bike acts as a lever for
balancing the load. I guess what I can lift with my legs is my limit.

It works great with the normal loads I carry on the Xtracycle. It's
really just an impressive stunt that comes in handy when parking.
Surface camber and slope is critical when using a side stand.

>> It can be adapted to carry longer items than most trailers handle.

>I tow my 18' boat just fine using a trailer. How long a load fits on
>the XtraCycle?

The same trailer you use for hauling your kids, dogs and groceries?

I've seen long trailers special built for various purposes. A boat
hull, I'm guessing you talking about a kayak or canoe, basically only
need wheels attached amidships and a tongue attached at the bow. Your
boat can be any length.

I've not done it but with the Wide Loaders and stand-offs, eight or
ten foot lumber should be easy. If there was a lot of it, it would
probably have to be equally distributed on both sides of the bike.

Trailers, baby seats and regular luggage racks are in no danger of
disappearing. They work for their designed purpose. Xtracycles and
longtails are here and work for many of those same purposes.

After getting used to its versatility it's hard to imagine life
without my Xtracycle.
--
zk

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:02:25 -0700, SMS <[email protected]>
wrote:

>peter wrote:
>
>> Really? My bike with trailer handles the same as it does without the
>> trailer - just slower on the uphills. OTOH, my tandem handles like a
>> truck even if it doesn't have a load, and adding one does *not* make
>> the handling improve.

>In terms of handling, you're much better off with a trailer than an
>Xtracycle.

And you've exactly how much experience riding an Xtracycle?

--
zk

In rec.bicycles.misc SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> peter wrote:
>
>> Really? My bike with trailer handles the same as it does without the
>> trailer - just slower on the uphills. OTOH, my tandem handles like a
>> truck even if it doesn't have a load, and adding one does *not* make
>> the handling improve.

> In terms of handling, you're much better off with a trailer than an
> Xtracycle. The trailer doesn't really affect handling at all, aa long as
> it's mounted down near the rear chainstays. You're better off carrying
> the load lower as well.

Have you used an Xtracycle? Because that's not my experience. In a
heavily loaded trailer (I'm thinking of a Burly D'Lite), it affects the
handling much more than the Xtracycle. Keep in mind, usually the load
is fairly low on the Xtracycle for cargo. People tend to balance
themselves, so they are easier to handle (per pound) than 'dead' cargo.

Also, braking is safer with the Xtracycle. I've gone down because I
braked on a slightly damp street, because the trailer pushed my rear
wheel out from under me.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
A novice was trying to fix a broken lisp machine by turning the power off

SMS <[email protected]> writes:

> Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 wrote:
> > peter <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> >> Many of the BART elevators are just the right length for one regular
> >> bicycle and the trailer fits nicely alongside. A longer bike won't
> >> fit (nor is it allowed by BART rules).
> >>

> > BZZZT, There are no longer any rules about the maximum size bike
> > allowed on BART. Tandems and Xtracycles are allowed.
> > Other places may have such rules, of course.
> > 73, doug

> Wasn't Peter referring to the elevators, not the actual train?

There are no rules applicable. Physically, some of the BART elevators
are tight for a standard 'cycle. And taking a trailer with even a small bike
(Bike Friday) into them can be an interesting excercise in packing.

> Neither trailers or xtracycles could be taken on CalTrain.

Nor can tandems, according to the rules.

OTOH, if you have a Bike Friday/BicycleR trailer/travel case, the
trailer can easily be converted to a standard suitcase, which is
allowed. And it can be used with 'cycles other than the BF.

But he said "BART". Caltrain falls under my "Other places..." caveat
(unfortunately).

73, doug