Rear Mech Adjustment woes..

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Philthy, Jun 16, 2003.

  1. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

    Hiya, I've just re indexed & adjusted my rear mech. Anyway I'm still having the same problem as I
    was b4 I started working on it. Changing is smooth & clean as a whistle while the bike is on the
    work stand, but as soon as I ride it I'm having trouble. 1 click up on the shifter & up 2 on the
    cassette 4-5 revolutions on the cranks & it's down 1 to where it should be. Got me stumped this
    one,I should add that I'm reletively new to doing my own maintainence. 1st time I did this 4 months
    ago using the same steps (Haynes manual)was no bother. Any ideas you clever people.. TIA Phil

    Tags:

  2. Spiky

    Spiky Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:40:24 +0100, Philthy wrote:

    > Hiya, I've just re indexed & adjusted my rear mech. Anyway I'm still having the same problem as
    > I was b4 I started working on it. Changing is smooth & clean as a whistle while the bike is on
    > the work stand, but as soon as I ride it I'm having trouble. 1 click up on the shifter & up 2 on
    > the cassette 4-5 revolutions on the cranks & it's down 1 to where it should be. Got me stumped
    > this one,I should add that I'm reletively new to doing my own maintainence. 1st time I did this
    > 4 months ago using the same steps (Haynes manual)was no bother. Any ideas you clever people..
    > TIA Phil

    As with all things mechanical it's far easier to spot when physically examined. But, two things
    spring to mind: The hanger the mech bolts to is out of alignment. It's easy to bend it with a bit of
    an impact and not notice until the shifting goes screwy. You can take the mech of a sight down the
    frame to see if it's out in any plane. If it is then either get the LBS to sort it with the correct
    tool. Or you can bend it back yourself. (Note some frames have replaceable hangers as the frame
    material, aluminium/carbon etc, does not bend back the way steel does in which case you can just
    order another) Wear on the drivetrain, components that have badly worn or not worn "together" can
    produce hard to index. But my money is on the first explanation.

  3. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Philthy deftly scribbled:

    > Hiya, I've just re indexed & adjusted my rear mech. Anyway I'm still having the same problem as
    > I was b4 I started working on it. Changing is smooth & clean as a whistle while the bike is on
    > the work stand, but as soon as I ride it I'm having trouble. 1 click up on the shifter & up 2 on
    > the cassette 4-5 revolutions on the cranks & it's down 1 to where it should be. Got me stumped
    > this one,I should add that I'm reletively new to doing my own maintainence. 1st time I did this
    > 4 months ago using the same steps (Haynes manual)was no bother. Any ideas you clever people..
    > TIA Phil

    Agree with 'Spiky' about the gear hanger. Another possibility may be a frayed or badly kinked cable.

    I had a similar problem once with a kinked cable where the kink was _exactly_ on the entry / exit to
    an outer cable, at some change ups it wouldn't go, but when it did it went too far, then dropped
    back and vice-versa .. ;) A new inner cable cured it ..

    --
    Digweed

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Philthy wrote:
    > Hiya, I've just re indexed & adjusted my rear mech. Anyway I'm still having the same problem as I
    > was b4 I started working on it. Changing is smooth & clean as a whistle while the bike is on the
    > work stand, but as soon as I ride it I'm having trouble. 1 click up on the shifter & up 2 on the
    > cassette 4-5 revolutions on the cranks & it's down 1 to where it should be. Got me stumped this
    > one,I should add that I'm reletively new to doing my own maintainence. 1st time I did this 4
    > months ago using the same steps (Haynes manual)was no bother.

    In addition to advice already given, make sure cable is taut in top gear, and persevere some more
    with cable adjustment. Try adjusting whilst riding if you have conveniently placed barrel adjuster -
    or alternatively, keep stopping to make small adjustments.

    ~PB

  5. John Prady

    John Prady Guest

    "Philthy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hiya, I've just re indexed & adjusted my rear mech. Anyway I'm still having the same problem as
    > I was b4 I started working on it. Changing is smooth & clean as a whistle while the bike is on
    > the work
    stand,
    > but as soon as I ride it I'm having trouble. 1 click up on the shifter &
    up
    > 2 on the cassette 4-5 revolutions on the cranks & it's down 1 to where it should be. Got me
    > stumped this one,I should add that I'm reletively new to doing my own maintainence. 1st time I did
    > this 4 months ago using the same steps (Haynes manual)was no bother. Any ideas you clever people..
    > TIA Phil

    A loose freehub can also cause this type of problem - take the wheel off and check whether there you
    can move the cassette backwards and forwards along the line of the axle. If there is any play you
    will need to take the cassette off and tighten the freehub - Shimano needs a 10mm allen key IIRC.

    John

  6. Philthy

    Philthy Guest

    Thanks everyone, I'll give the suggestions a try Regards Phil