Rear mech hanger threaded.

John.W

Guest
The rear mech mounting hole on my recently aquired second hand 1990 mtb frame is completely stripped
of threads, so there is nothing to screw the rear mech to. I cant afford a new frame or indeed a
"heli coil" kit at the moment, so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to attach the
mech to the frame. Someone has suggested industrial strength "ARALDITE",(a form of super strong 2
part epoxy) has anyone any experience with using this product on bikes??. if it helps any it is a
1990 muddy fox pathfinder with a 21speed deore DX drivetrain.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

John.w wrote:
> The rear mech mounting hole on my recently aquired second hand 1990 mtb frame is completely
> stripped of threads, so there is nothing to screw the rear mech to. I cant afford a new frame or
> indeed a "heli coil" kit at the moment, so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to
> attach the mech to the frame. Someone has suggested industrial strength "ARALDITE",(a form of
> super strong 2 part epoxy) has anyone any experience with using this product on bikes??. if it
> helps any it is a 1990 muddy fox pathfinder with a 21speed deore DX drivetrain.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help given.

If you did find a glue strong enough, how are you going to remove the mech when it comes time to
replace it?

A Helicoil costs less than 5 bucks (US) and will be a much better solution than glue. When I worked
at a shop I believe we charged $20 to install a helicoil. Call your LBS.

John.w <[email protected]> wrote:
: The rear mech mounting hole on my recently aquired second hand 1990 mtb frame is completely
: stripped of threads, so there is nothing to screw the rear mech to. I cant afford a new frame or
: indeed a "heli coil" kit at the moment, so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to
: attach the mech to the frame. Someone has suggested industrial strength "ARALDITE",(a form of
: super strong 2 part epoxy) has anyone any experience with using this product on bikes??. if it
: helps any it is a 1990 muddy fox pathfinder with a 21speed deore DX drivetrain.

: Thanks in advance for any help given.

There is a little threaded bushing that is sold for this purpose. The threads get drilled out and
the bushing is inserted . You attach the mech to this. Works very well and is cheap.

--------------------------------
Bob Masse' [email protected]
--------------------------------

[email protected] (John.w) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> The rear mech mounting hole on my recently aquired second hand 1990 mtb frame is completely
> stripped of threads, so there is nothing to screw the rear mech to. I cant afford a new frame or
> indeed a "heli coil" kit at the moment, so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to
> attach the mech to the frame. Someone has suggested industrial strength "ARALDITE",(a form of
> super strong 2 part epoxy) has anyone any experience with using this product on bikes??. if it
> helps any it is a 1990 muddy fox pathfinder with a 21speed deore DX drivetrain.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help given.

If you have a drill or reamer, you can enlarge the hole and then use a "dropout saver" bolt. For an
illustration, go to www.biketoolsetc.com and do a search on "dropout saver." They cost less than
$10, and I imagine something similar is available in the UK.

Rich On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:54:15 -0500 wrote,

>John.w wrote:
>> The rear mech mounting hole on my recently aquired second hand 1990 mtb frame is completely
>> stripped of threads, so there is nothing to screw the rear mech to. I cant afford a new frame or
>> indeed a "heli coil" kit at the moment, so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to
>> attach the mech to the frame. Someone has suggested industrial strength "ARALDITE",(a form of
>> super strong 2 part epoxy) has anyone any experience with using this product on bikes??. if it
>> helps any it is a 1990 muddy fox pathfinder with a 21speed deore DX drivetrain.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help given.
>
>If you did find a glue strong enough, how are you going to remove the mech when it comes time to
>replace it?

Don't know about the particular epoxy or this particular application, but I used to have good luck
greasing bolts and embedding them in epoxy. Unscrew the bolt when the epoxy is not quite as hard as
it will get and let it cure the rest of the way.

--

As we celebrate mediocraty, all the boys upstairs want to see how much you'll pay, for what you used
to get for free... Tom Petty, "The Last DJ"

j-jtw writes-<< The rear mech mounting hole on my recently aquired second hand 1990 mtb frame is
completely stripped of threads, so there is nothing to screw the rear mech to. >><BR><BR>

Wheels manufacturing makes a dropout saver kit that replaces the threads with a threaded insert.

> There is a little threaded bushing that is sold for this purpose. The threads get drilled out and
> the bushing is inserted . You attach the mech to this. Works very well and is cheap.

Thanks for the help Do you have a web address or the shop which sells these threaded bushings.

Dave Johnson wrote:

> Rich On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:54:15 -0500 wrote,
>

>>John.w wrote:
>>
>>>The rear mech mounting hole on my recently aquired second hand 1990 mtb frame is completely
>>>stripped of threads, so there is nothing to screw the rear mech to. I cant afford a new frame or
>>>indeed a "heli coil" kit at the moment, so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to
>>>attach the mech to the frame. Someone has suggested industrial strength "ARALDITE",(a form of
>>>super strong 2 part epoxy) has anyone any experience with using this product on bikes??. if it
>>>helps any it is a 1990 muddy fox pathfinder with a 21speed deore DX drivetrain.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance for any help given.
>>
>>If you did find a glue strong enough, how are you going to remove the mech when it comes time to
>>replace it?
>

> Don't know about the particular epoxy or this particular application, but I used to have good luck
> greasing bolts and embedding them in epoxy. Unscrew the bolt when the epoxy is not quite as hard
> as it will get and let it cure the rest of the way.

I'll have to remember that, epoxy is great stuff, sort of a liquid duct tape. My assumption was
that he was just planning to bond the part right to the the frame which probably wouldn't be a
great idea.

> If you have a drill or reamer, you can enlarge the hole and then use a "dropout saver" bolt. For
> an illustration, go to www.biketoolsetc.com and do a search on "dropout saver." They cost less
> than $10, and I imagine something similar is available in the UK.

Thanks for your help!!, i have ordered one and it only cost £5, the cost i couldnt afford with the
heli coil kit was 1. the lbs charges £25 to do the job, and 2. to do it myself the inserts are cheap
but the tap is quite costly and i probably wouldnt use it again. And with the epoxy, i wouldnt have
trusted epoxy threads as much as steel ones for obvious reasons.

-"author's name lost in previous edit"- wrote:
> > If you have a drill or reamer, you can enlarge the hole and then use a "dropout saver" bolt. For
> > an illustration, go to www.biketoolsetc.com and do a search on "dropout saver." They cost less
> > than $10, and I imagine something similar is available in the UK.

"John.w" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks for your help!!, i have ordered one and it only cost £5, the cost i couldnt afford with the
> heli coil kit was 1. the lbs charges £25 to do the job, and 2. to do it myself the inserts are
> cheap but the tap is quite costly and i probably wouldnt use it again. And with the epoxy, i
> wouldnt have trusted epoxy threads as much as steel ones for obvious reasons.

For twenty five pounds I should expect they would fill the damaged end and cut new threads. Seems a
lot for running a tap through a hole. . .