Rear Rack Bag

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pat, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    I would like to find a good trunk bag for the rear rack of my mountain bike. It needs to have an
    inside frame, lots of zippers, and fit on the rear rack securely. Does anyone have a favorite I
    should look at? I want it to be the size to carry a 6-pack and maybe even larger so long as it fits
    on the rear rack.

    thanks,

    Pat in Texas

    Tags:

  2. Rainman

    Rainman Guest

    Topeak makes a good trunk that secures to a rack without Velcro.

    "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > x-no-archive:yes
    >
    > I would like to find a good trunk bag for the rear rack of my mountain
    bike.
    > It needs to have an inside frame, lots of zippers, and fit on the rear
    rack
    > securely. Does anyone have a favorite I should look at? I want it to be
    the
    > size to carry a 6-pack and maybe even larger so long as it fits on the
    rear
    > rack.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Pat in Texas

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Rope on a milk crate. Line it with a plastic garbage bag.

    It will hold two full (double-bagged) grocery bags. If you wanted, you could change the garbage bag
    often enough to make it leak-proof, and twisty-tie it shut above a load in wet weather, though that
    strikes me as overkill.

    The flat back surface is perfect for a huge day-glow orange `slow-moving vehicle' triangle.

    I have found that a cheap (eg. Bell) seat-post mounted rear rack, with plastic top removed, can
    be put under a regular rack to stabilize it side-to-side, greatly increasing the load you can
    carry easily. The load is carried by the regular rack but it's stiffened side to side by the
    seat-post rack.

    Put a piece of wood under the milk crate to spread the load, since it will hang off the back end of
    the rack about half-way, with or without the side-to-side addition, since the plastic can't handle
    the load otherwise.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  4. Burr

    Burr Guest

    Ron, that is really great. As soon as I find a BIG bag of Tie Rips I'm going to put one on my new
    road bike! That way I can stop at the store on my way back from the ride and kill two stones with
    one bird. Maybe you have an idea for something on the front, the milk crate may hit my knees!

    Burr Diamondback Road Bike REI Touring Bike Schwinn City Bike So. California Deserts The Truth
    Lies Here.