Rear Rack Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pat

x-no-archive:yes

I would like to find a good trunk bag for the rear rack of my mountain bike. It needs to have an
inside frame, lots of zippers, and fit on the rear rack securely. Does anyone have a favorite I
should look at? I want it to be the size to carry a 6-pack and maybe even larger so long as it fits
on the rear rack.

thanks,

Pat in Texas

Topeak makes a good trunk that secures to a rack without Velcro.

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive:yes
>
> I would like to find a good trunk bag for the rear rack of my mountain
bike.
> It needs to have an inside frame, lots of zippers, and fit on the rear
rack
> securely. Does anyone have a favorite I should look at? I want it to be
the
> size to carry a 6-pack and maybe even larger so long as it fits on the
rear
> rack.
>
> thanks,
>
> Pat in Texas

Rope on a milk crate. Line it with a plastic garbage bag.

It will hold two full (double-bagged) grocery bags. If you wanted, you could change the garbage bag
often enough to make it leak-proof, and twisty-tie it shut above a load in wet weather, though that
strikes me as overkill.

The flat back surface is perfect for a huge day-glow orange `slow-moving vehicle' triangle.

I have found that a cheap (eg. Bell) seat-post mounted rear rack, with plastic top removed, can
be put under a regular rack to stabilize it side-to-side, greatly increasing the load you can
carry easily. The load is carried by the regular rack but it's stiffened side to side by the
seat-post rack.

Put a piece of wood under the milk crate to spread the load, since it will hang off the back end of
the rack about half-way, with or without the side-to-side addition, since the plastic can't handle
the load otherwise.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

Ron, that is really great. As soon as I find a BIG bag of Tie Rips I'm going to put one on my new
road bike! That way I can stop at the store on my way back from the ride and kill two stones with
one bird. Maybe you have an idea for something on the front, the milk crate may hit my knees!

Burr Diamondback Road Bike REI Touring Bike Schwinn City Bike So. California Deserts The Truth
Lies Here.

Ron Hardin wrote:
> Rope on a milk crate. Line it with a plastic garbage bag.
>
> It will hold two full (double-bagged) grocery bags. If you wanted, you could change the garbage
> bag often enough to make it leak-proof, and twisty-tie it shut above a load in wet weather, though
> that strikes me as overkill.
>
> The flat back surface is perfect for a huge day-glow orange `slow-moving vehicle' triangle.
>
> I have found that a cheap (eg. Bell) seat-post mounted rear rack, with plastic top removed, can
> be put under a regular rack to stabilize it side-to-side, greatly increasing the load you can
> carry easily. The load is carried by the regular rack but it's stiffened side to side by the
> seat-post rack.
>
> Put a piece of wood under the milk crate to spread the load, since it will hang off the back end
> of the rack about half-way, with or without the side-to-side addition, since the plastic can't
> handle the load otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.