Rear rack for a Giant Cypress

glibdud

Guest
Hi folks. This spring I bought a Giant Cypress DX (hybrid, 700c
wheels; 23" frame) and have been commuting to work with it, as well as
building up some endurance on weekend light trail rides. My next
accessory needs to be a rear rack so that I can tote papers and things
to and from work (and lunch/snacks for long rides) without resorting
to a backpack. I want a rack that mounts to the rear eyelets, rather
than just a seatpost rack, since in the future I'd like to get into
touring and would like something relatively sturdy.

I purchased a basic Trans-It branded rack from Performance Bike, but
it turned out to not quite be tall enough to clear the tire. That
makes me very skeptical of all the other "Fits most bikes" racks out
there. Are there any other Cypress owners with a rear rack who can
give me a specific model that they know to work? Adjustable ones would
work, too... I once saw a rack with ends that could be screwed in and
out to adjust the length before mounting, but I've not been able to
find it again.

Thanks,
David Murphy

On Jun 20, 3:08 pm, glibdud <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi folks. This spring I bought a Giant Cypress DX (hybrid, 700c
> wheels; 23" frame) and have been commuting to work with it, as well as
> building up some endurance on weekend light trail rides. My next
> accessory needs to be a rear rack so that I can tote papers and things
> to and from work (and lunch/snacks for long rides) without resorting
> to a backpack. I want a rack that mounts to the rear eyelets, rather
> than just a seatpost rack, since in the future I'd like to get into
> touring and would like something relatively sturdy.
>
> I purchased a basic Trans-It branded rack from Performance Bike, but
> it turned out to not quite be tall enough to clear the tire. That
> makes me very skeptical of all the other "Fits most bikes" racks out
> there. Are there any other Cypress owners with a rear rack who can
> give me a specific model that they know to work? Adjustable ones would
> work, too... I once saw a rack with ends that could be screwed in and
> out to adjust the length before mounting, but I've not been able to
> find it again.
>
> Thanks,
> David Murphy

David,

I purchased a rack from http://www.oldmanmountain.com/ for my Bianchi
Axis. They contacted me with specific questions about sizes, etc to
ensure a good fit before they filled my order. I found it to be a
well built item and the company provided great support. Call or email
Channing at Old Man Mountain and ask him about your concern.

Good Luck

James

$150 for a rear rack!!!! They must be smoking something. My $15
Trans it rack is fine

On Jun 20, 3:45 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 20, 3:08 pm, glibdud <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Hi folks. This spring I bought a Giant Cypress DX (hybrid, 700c
> > wheels; 23" frame) and have been commuting to work with it, as well as
> > building up some endurance on weekend light trail rides. My next
> > accessory needs to be a rear rack so that I can tote papers and things
> > to and from work (and lunch/snacks for long rides) without resorting
> > to a backpack. I want a rack that mounts to the rear eyelets, rather
> > than just a seatpost rack, since in the future I'd like to get into
> > touring and would like something relatively sturdy.

> > I purchased a basic Trans-It branded rack from Performance Bike, but
> > it turned out to not quite be tall enough to clear the tire. That
> > makes me very skeptical of all the other "Fits most bikes" racks out
> > there. Are there any other Cypress owners with a rear rack who can
> > give me a specific model that they know to work? Adjustable ones would
> > work, too... I once saw a rack with ends that could be screwed in and
> > out to adjust the length before mounting, but I've not been able to
> > find it again.

> > Thanks,
> > David Murphy

> David,
>
> I purchased a rack fromhttp://www.oldmanmountain.com/for my Bianchi
> Axis. They contacted me with specific questions about sizes, etc to
> ensure a good fit before they filled my order. I found it to be a
> well built item and the company provided great support. Call or email
> Channing at Old Man Mountain and ask him about your concern.
>
> Good Luck
>
> James- Hide quoted text -

On Jun 20, 3:08 pm, glibdud <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi folks. This spring I bought a Giant Cypress DX (hybrid, 700c
> wheels; 23" frame) and have been commuting to work with it, as well as
> building up some endurance on weekend light trail rides. My next
> accessory needs to be a rear rack so that I can tote papers and things
> to and from work (and lunch/snacks for long rides) without resorting
> to a backpack. I want a rack that mounts to the rear eyelets, rather
> than just a seatpost rack, since in the future I'd like to get into
> touring and would like something relatively sturdy.
>
> I purchased a basic Trans-It branded rack from Performance Bike, but
> it turned out to not quite be tall enough to clear the tire. That
> makes me very skeptical of all the other "Fits most bikes" racks out
> there. Are there any other Cypress owners with a rear rack who can
> give me a specific model that they know to work? Adjustable ones would
> work, too... I once saw a rack with ends that could be screwed in and
> out to adjust the length before mounting, but I've not been able to
> find it again.
>
> Thanks,
> David Murphy

Check out the Jandd Expedition rack at cyclepath.com.
When I got mine from them they were cheaper than the Jandd site and
had cheap shipping

glibdud wrote:
> Hi folks. This spring I bought a Giant Cypress DX (hybrid, 700c
> wheels; 23" frame) and have been commuting to work with it, as well as
> building up some endurance on weekend light trail rides. My next
> accessory needs to be a rear rack so that I can tote papers and things
> to and from work (and lunch/snacks for long rides) without resorting
> to a backpack. I want a rack that mounts to the rear eyelets, rather
> than just a seatpost rack, since in the future I'd like to get into
> touring and would like something relatively sturdy.

David,
both the jaand rack and the blackburn ex rack will fit but unless you
get extra long front mounting struts you will have to attach them to the
seatpost quick release instead of the eyelets, on this bike it is very
difficult to get the struts around the linear pull breaks they put the
eylets right behind them not above them
at least this is what i had to do with my wife's Cypress DX

Steve

Thanks for all the replies! That'll give me a number of things to look
into this weekend. :)

-David Murphy