rear rack for Rans tailwind?

chrisfreeman

Guest
I am currently borrowing a Rans tailwind from my dad who hasn't had time
to ride it. I like to ride to work and normally use a pannier on a rack
on an upright. My current rack won't fit the Rans. Are there pannier
racks for these?

Thanks,
chris

Chris Freeman wrote:

> I am currently borrowing a R[ANS] [T]ailwind from my dad who hasn't had time
> to ride it. I like to ride to work and normally use a pannier on a rack
> on an upright. My current rack won't fit the R[ANS]. Are there pannier
> racks for these?

RANS makes both a rear pannier rack and an underseat pannier rack.
<http://www.shoprans.com/Racks.asp>

The sprint braces (seat stays) may preclude the use of some of the
larger rack top bags.

Very large panniers may have clearance issues (seat and ground) on the
underseat rack, but this is the best location to carry heavier items, as
the Tailwind already has a weight distribution heavily biased to the rear.

--
Tom Sherman – Earth (Illinois)

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Chris Freeman wrote:
>
> > I am currently borrowing a R[ANS] [T]ailwind from my dad who hasn't had

time
> > to ride it. I like to ride to work and normally use a pannier on a rack
> > on an upright. My current rack won't fit the R[ANS]. Are there pannier
> > racks for these?

> RANS makes both a rear pannier rack and an underseat pannier rack.
> <http://www.shoprans.com/Racks.asp>

Shouldn't that be http://www.shop[RANS].com/Racks.asp ?

I can't visualize how that underseat pannier rack mounts and they don't
have any pics of how it mounts. Also that rear rack on there looks just
like 2 others I currently have on uprights. Again with no pics on those
I can't visualize how it's going to mount. In looking at my current rear
racks, the mounting legs would have to be angled instead of straight in
order for it to mount in the horizontal position. I don't see how that
rear rack can mount in the horizontal position and I can't tell where
the top would mount to.

Thanks,
chris

Chris Freeman wrote:

> I can't visualize how that underseat pannier rack mounts and they don't
> have any pics of how it mounts. Also that rear rack on there looks just
> like 2 others I currently have on uprights. Again with no pics on those
> I can't visualize how it's going to mount. In looking at my current rear
> racks, the mounting legs would have to be angled instead of straight in
> order for it to mount in the horizontal position. I don't see how that
> rear rack can mount in the horizontal position and I can't tell where
> the top would mount to.

The HT rear rack sits level on both my 1999 RANS Wave [1] and 2000 RANS
Rocket. The legs attach to the dropouts (similar to most racks). The
sprint braces (seat stays) fit between the inner and outer rails of the
HT rack, and clamps are used to fasten the rack to the sprint braces in
a level position.

Email me directly if you want pictures of the mounted HT racks.

The "Easy Reacher" underseat rack clamps around the main frame tube.

[1] Same frame as the contemporary Tailwind, other than the fork.

--
Tom Sherman – Earth (Illinois)

Chris Freeman wrote:

> ...Also that rear rack on there looks just like 2 others I currently have on uprights....

In case anyone else was wondering why they should use the RANS HT rear
rack over the many commercially available rear racks: a regular rack
that was narrow enough would fit on a RANS bike, but the sprint braces
(seat stays) would interfere with the pannier mounting. That is why the
HT rack is designed so the sprint braces pass through the rack.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Illinois)

"chrisfreeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am currently borrowing a Rans tailwind from my dad who hasn't had time to
>ride it. I like to ride to work and normally use a pannier on a rack on an
>upright. My current rack won't fit the Rans. Are there pannier racks for
>these?
>
> Thanks,
> chris

I have an inexpensive Louis Garneau rack installed on the back of my
tailwind. there is a problemw the seat stays interfering with the panniers.
the RANS rack will get rid of the problem, and it is still not to expensive
at about 85.00.

Mostly I just have a rack bag on it.

I also have a seat back bag from Rans that fits on as well. For riding in
the country I used to put one pannier back on the seat back. My concern with
that idea for commuting is that it could fall off.

Doug Thomas
Welland, Ontario

Hiya

I was going through some of the older posts and noticed this thread.

What I did a few years back was take a regular rear rack and sliced it
down the middle. Mounted it on the outside of the sprint rails (anyone know
where that name came from?) Used one hose clamp on each side to hold it to
the sprint rails and large zipties front and rear to provide tension. I also
fashioned a coroplast top for the rack for added stiffness and as a base to
lash things on.

It was more rigid than I expected.

"Scott.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hiya
>
> I was going through some of the older posts and noticed this thread.
>
> What I did a few years back was take a regular rear rack and sliced it
> down the middle. Mounted it on the outside of the sprint rails (anyone
> know where that name came from?) Used one hose clamp on each side to hold
> it to the sprint rails and large zipties front and rear to provide
> tension. I also fashioned a coroplast top for the rack for added stiffness
> and as a base to lash things on.
>
> It was more rigid than I expected.

I also have a solution for underseat racks to get more ground clearance with
larger panniers. Take all the mounting hardware off the bags and drill new
holes and mount the bags sideways. Have the top opening either in the front
or the rear. Works fine for me.