Rear rack for Vision R50

Nicolo

Guest
I plan on doing some light touring in Southern California soon and am looking for some
recommendations for a good rear rack that'll fit on my R50 - do conventional racks fit or do I need
to get a "special Vision/recumbent" rack?

Also, I'd appreciate feedback from those Vision owners who have had their seat replaced as a result
of recent Vision seat warranty. Did you get your new seat back quickly or was it a bit of a wait - I
just called them last week.

Thanks in advance.

> I plan on doing some light touring in Southern California soon and am looking for some
> recommendations for a good rear rack that'll fit on my R50 - do conventional racks fit or do I
> need to get a "special Vision/recumbent" rack?
>
> Also, I'd appreciate feedback from those Vision owners who have had their seat replaced as a
> result of recent Vision seat warranty. Did you get your new seat back quickly or was it a bit of a
> wait - I just called them last week.

I believe this bike has a rear suspension. If that is so, any rear rack mount will be difficult.
Generally, real touring bikes do not have suspension. Rear racks mount to the eyelets just above the
rear drops. These move with respect to the other parts of the bike. You will need to attach the rack
to the articulated parts of the rear triangle ONLY. Panniers don't like being jostled around, so
this may not be the optimum solution.

Another choice is underseat racks such as those made by X-Eyed. AFAIK you can not fit one of these
to a Vision.

Your last best choice is a trailer. And I personally would not haul a trailer on tour.

A quick check of the Vision website did not show a Vision rack or a rack adapter for anything other
than the 80 series tandems.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

A conventional rack works fine, you'll have to put a sharp bend in the adjustable brackets but that
was pretty easy

"Nicolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I plan on doing some light touring in Southern California soon and am
looking
> for some recommendations for a good rear rack that'll fit on my R50 - do conventional racks fit or
> do I need to get a "special Vision/recumbent" rack?
>
> Also, I'd appreciate feedback from those Vision owners who have had their seat replaced as a
> result of recent Vision seat warranty. Did you get your new seat back quickly or was it a bit of a
> wait - I just called them last week.
>
> Thanks in advance.

"Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> > I plan on doing some light touring in Southern California soon and am
looking
> > for some recommendations for a good rear rack that'll fit on my R50 - do conventional racks fit
> > or do I need to get a "special Vision/recumbent" rack?
> >
> > Also, I'd appreciate feedback from those Vision owners who have had
their
> > seat replaced as a result of recent Vision seat warranty. Did you get your new seat back quickly
> > or was it a bit of a wait - I just called them last week.
> >
> I believe this bike has a rear suspension. If that is so, any rear rack
mount will be
> difficult. Generally, real touring bikes do not have suspension. Rear
racks mount to the
> eyelets just above the rear drops. These move with respect to the other
parts of the bike. You
> will need to attach the rack to the articulated parts of the rear triangle
ONLY. Panniers don't
> like being jostled around, so this may not be the optimum solution.

No a standard rack worked fine, the front connected to the bottom of the rear shock and the whole
assembly moved along with the suspension

In article <uU1eb.631081$YN5.454430@sccrnsc01>, [email protected] says...
> No a standard rack worked fine, the front connected to the bottom of the rear shock and the whole
> assembly moved along with the suspension

I thought that might be a possibility. Still, if you want to make sure that your panniers are still
attached, you probably want to invest in some with a positive locking top attachment like Ortlieb
and Arkel.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Slumped over the toilet, "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> spewed forth :

>No a standard rack worked fine, the front connected to the bottom of the rear shock and the whole
>assembly moved along with the suspension

I checked my Vision a little closer and it has threaded eyelets on top of the rear dropout as well
as on the "frame bracket" that the rear shock mounts to.

So as you said, the rack will ride with the rear suspension - I'm figuring that I need one of those
racks that have adjustable/sliding metal pieces that I can reach the top eyelets.

Thanks for the info.

"Yurasis Dragon" <yurasis_spam[REMOVE]@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Slumped over the toilet, "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]> spewed forth
:

> >No a standard rack worked fine, the front connected to the bottom of the rear shock and the whole
> >assembly moved along with the suspension
> >

> I checked my Vision a little closer and it has threaded eyelets on top of
the rear
> dropout as well as on the "frame bracket" that the rear shock mounts to.
>
> So as you said, the rack will ride with the rear suspension - I'm figuring
that
> I need one of those racks that have adjustable/sliding metal pieces that I can reach the top
> eyelets.
>
> Thanks for the info.

Yes you will but you will end up having to bend the 2 metal pieces to about a 60 degree angle which
wasn't a big deal. Mine is a standard Blackburn Mtn Rak

(blue to match the bike)

I had a "Topeak Quick Track" installed on my R50. This allows me to use the Topeak bag that I had
for my Mountain Bike. I think it has about 800 cubic inches of space in it. I also took a backpack
and threaded the straps through the back of the seat for additional storage.

William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 RANS Rocket "Nicolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I plan on doing some light touring in Southern California soon and am
looking
> for some recommendations for a good rear rack that'll fit on my R50 - do conventional racks fit or
> do I need to get a "special Vision/recumbent" rack?
>
> Also, I'd appreciate feedback from those Vision owners who have had their seat replaced as a
> result of recent Vision seat warranty. Did you get your new seat back quickly or was it a bit of a
> wait - I just called them last week.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Just curious, did you have a problem with your seat? If so, what was the problem? I own an R40 and
was wondering if there has been a recall or something?

Greg

Yes, I'm having problems with the "fabric" part of my seat, one side is tearing out, now almost the
entire side is torn.

I contacted the bike shop where I bought it from and they told me to contact Vision directly as he
heard that Vision was having problems with their seats.

Before I spoke to Vision I received the following message from the Hostel Shoppe :

"... By any chance, did you purchse a bike in the last year and the seat mesh is falling apart? If
you did, you can get your seat mesh covered under warranty, because unfortunately, they had a very
large batch of seat fabrics that were bad and ripped out within months of purchase. The new ones are
stronger and seem to be working fine. ..."

I finally got hold of Vision ( by phone, they never replied to my two e-mails ) and they took my
address down and said they'd send a new seat out to me ( no proof of purchase required ). It's been
a week now and I'm still waiting ...

Slumped over the toilet, [email protected] (Greg Eicher) spewed forth :