Rear Rack Mounting Hardware, Perpetually Too Short

SMS

Guest
I just got the son-unit a tween bicycle yesterday (a Jamis with a 12"
frame). First thing I wanted to add was a rear rack. Of course like
nearly all rear racks on the market, the one I got had mounting hardware
that was hopelessly too short to reach the seat stay braze-ons. It was
off to Home Depot to buy some more aluminum flat bar, for more custom
rack stays.

What do bicycle shops do when a customer wants to mount a rack to a
bicycle where the hardware that comes with the rack is inadequate?

On Feb 28, 10:20 pm, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> I just got the son-unit a tween bicycle yesterday (a Jamis with a 12"
> frame). First thing I wanted to add was a rear rack. Of course like
> nearly all rear racks on the market, the one I got had mounting hardware
> that was hopelessly too short to reach the seat stay braze-ons. It was
> off to Home Depot to buy some more aluminum flat bar, for more custom
> rack stays.
>
> What do bicycle shops do when a customer wants to mount a rack to a
> bicycle where the hardware that comes with the rack is inadequate?

I've seen shops use interconnected chrome slotted sheet stock on a
couple bikes. Pretty sloppy looking, especially if you need to use a
couple spliced lengths.