Rear Rack of Roof Bars

Hywel Jenkins

Guest
I've finally decided to get some sort of device that will enable be to
transport my MTB on my car. I like the look of the Saris Bones racks,
and they seem to do well in reviews. Thing is, I don't think I can
attach the bottom straps securely (Renault Megane II), so any rack that
attaches to the back of the car (tow-hitch options excepted) are out.

My other choice is to go for roof bars but they seem to look so insecure
and robust. Is this really the case? I know many people use them week
after week, but I need some convincing. Anyone got a recommendation or
particular favourite manufacturer?

If anyone's got a different view of fitting something like the Saris
rack to a Megane, I'd love to know how you're getting on. This option
would be better simply for portability.

I'm not going to fit a tow-hitch for reasons of cost, appearance, and
the additional depreciation that can occur.

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.

"Hywel Jenkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've finally decided to get some sort of device that will enable be to
> transport my MTB on my car. I like the look of the Saris Bones racks,
> and they seem to do well in reviews. Thing is, I don't think I can
> attach the bottom straps securely (Renault Megane II), so any rack that
> attaches to the back of the car (tow-hitch options excepted) are out.
>
> My other choice is to go for roof bars but they seem to look so insecure
> and robust. Is this really the case? I know many people use them week
> after week, but I need some convincing. Anyone got a recommendation or
> particular favourite manufacturer?
>
> If anyone's got a different view of fitting something like the Saris
> rack to a Megane, I'd love to know how you're getting on. This option
> would be better simply for portability.
>
> I'm not going to fit a tow-hitch for reasons of cost, appearance, and
> the additional depreciation that can occur.

I'm not sure I see your logic in the last statement. Removal two-hitches are
available which resolve the appearance problem, and a fitted tow-hitch would
surely add to the appeal of your car when you come to sell it. However, I've
used Thule roofbars on 4 cars now and have no problems with them whatsoever.
Replacement fitting kits can be bought when swapping cars so that the
bars/racks etc move from car to car with you. They are very stable and solid
and can be locked. Beats these rear-door mounted systems easily and keeps
lights / no. plate clear (which saves another expense). Problems? Well,
reach can be one - if you're a bit short and the car is high, fitting the
bike can be awkward. Cleanliness - if you get really muddy, expect to wash
the car down afterwards to get rid of the big brown streak down the roof -
oh and watch that height clearance!!

druidh

In article <JS%[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> "Hywel Jenkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I've finally decided to get some sort of device that will enable be to
> > transport my MTB on my car. I like the look of the Saris Bones racks,
> > and they seem to do well in reviews. Thing is, I don't think I can
> > attach the bottom straps securely (Renault Megane II), so any rack that
> > attaches to the back of the car (tow-hitch options excepted) are out.
> >
> > My other choice is to go for roof bars but they seem to look so insecure
> > and robust. Is this really the case? I know many people use them week
> > after week, but I need some convincing. Anyone got a recommendation or
> > particular favourite manufacturer?
> >
> > If anyone's got a different view of fitting something like the Saris
> > rack to a Megane, I'd love to know how you're getting on. This option
> > would be better simply for portability.
> >
> > I'm not going to fit a tow-hitch for reasons of cost, appearance, and
> > the additional depreciation that can occur.
> >

> I'm not sure I see your logic in the last statement.

I just don't like them, especially the one for the Megane. It looks
****.

> However, I've
> used Thule roofbars on 4 cars now and have no problems with them whatsoever.
> Replacement fitting kits can be bought when swapping cars so that the
> bars/racks etc move from car to car with you.

So all I'd need would be the bits that attached the bars to the car?
For example, mine has anchor points hidden under the trim, and Swmbo's
car has the same, so I'd just buy those four bits and re-use everything
else?

> They are very stable and solid
> and can be locked. Beats these rear-door mounted systems easily and keeps
> lights / no. plate clear (which saves another expense). Problems? Well,
> reach can be one - if you're a bit short and the car is high, fitting the
> bike can be awkward. Cleanliness - if you get really muddy, expect to wash
> the car down afterwards to get rid of the big brown streak down the roof -

So you've seen my car?

> oh and watch that height clearance!!

Yes - I'd have a sign on my dash that tells me "Don't use 6th gear
today, and you're finally over six feet tall"

Thanks for the info. I've found the information available online a bit
useless so far. Might have to try H*lf*ds, unless LBS is open on Friday
PM.

--
Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
I do not eat quiche.

"Hywel Jenkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <JS%[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>>
>> "Hywel Jenkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > I've finally decided to get some sort of device that will enable be to
>> > transport my MTB on my car. I like the look of the Saris Bones racks,
>> > and they seem to do well in reviews. Thing is, I don't think I can
>> > attach the bottom straps securely (Renault Megane II), so any rack that
>> > attaches to the back of the car (tow-hitch options excepted) are out.
>> >
>> > My other choice is to go for roof bars but they seem to look so
>> > insecure
>> > and robust. Is this really the case? I know many people use them week
>> > after week, but I need some convincing. Anyone got a recommendation or
>> > particular favourite manufacturer?
>> >
>> > If anyone's got a different view of fitting something like the Saris
>> > rack to a Megane, I'd love to know how you're getting on. This option
>> > would be better simply for portability.
>> >
>> > I'm not going to fit a tow-hitch for reasons of cost, appearance, and
>> > the additional depreciation that can occur.
>> >

>> I'm not sure I see your logic in the last statement.

> I just don't like them, especially the one for the Megane. It looks
> ****.

Ah - can't account for individual taste. . .

>> However, I've
>> used Thule roofbars on 4 cars now and have no problems with them
>> whatsoever.
>> Replacement fitting kits can be bought when swapping cars so that the
>> bars/racks etc move from car to car with you.

> So all I'd need would be the bits that attached the bars to the car?
> For example, mine has anchor points hidden under the trim, and Swmbo's
> car has the same, so I'd just buy those four bits and re-use everything
> else?

Yep. My thule bars were first attached to a Xantia which had the mounting
holes hidden under the rubber door trim. Of course, as there's no standard
spacing, you might find that you need two sets. Current car is a Laguna
Sport which had the roof rails fitted. All I needed to buy was a generic
roof bar/roof rail attachment. I also bought a Renault-specific 3-bike rail
for the Laguna which bolts onto pre-tapped hols in the tailgate . Solid as a
rock, sits higher than the number plate/lights and as it's a "gutter" type,
there's no problem with ladies / full suspension frame geometries. Might be
worth asking Renault if this is available for yours? I still use the single
roof bar when needs be.

>> They are very stable and solid
>> and can be locked. Beats these rear-door mounted systems easily and keeps
>> lights / no. plate clear (which saves another expense). Problems? Well,
>> reach can be one - if you're a bit short and the car is high, fitting the
>> bike can be awkward. Cleanliness - if you get really muddy, expect to
>> wash
>> the car down afterwards to get rid of the big brown streak down the
>> roof -

> So you've seen my car?
>

>> oh and watch that height clearance!!

> Yes - I'd have a sign on my dash that tells me "Don't use 6th gear
> today, and you're finally over six feet tall"

Nothing wrong with 6th gear on mine. I guess there might be a maximum speed
recommendatain, but I can't recall ever seeing it.

> Thanks for the info. I've found the information available online a bit
> useless so far. Might have to try H*lf*ds, unless LBS is open on Friday
> PM.

Oh - should really mention fuel comsumption too. Expect quite a hit
regardless of where you carry them, though I suspect that the towbar-mounted
option might actually be the best in this respect.

> --
> Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
> I do not eat quiche.

"Hywel Jenkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My other choice is to go for roof bars but they seem to look so insecure
> and robust. Is this really the case? I know many people use them week
> after week, but I need some convincing. Anyone got a recommendation or
> particular favourite manufacturer?

I've been using Thule bars for 20 odd years for carrying windsurfers and
bicycles and had no problems.
Started with guttered ones and moved on to gutterless types. My previous car
was a Mon Dieu and I used Halfords branded ones on it, not the cheapos,
which were made in Sweden and looked suspiciously similar to Thules but at a
lower price.
I got my current set from http://www.roofbox.co.uk/ and can thoroughly
recommend them.

Pete

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:18:30 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
<[email protected]>:

>I've finally decided to get some sort of device that will enable be to
>transport my MTB on my car. I like the look of the Saris Bones racks,
>and they seem to do well in reviews. Thing is, I don't think I can
>attach the bottom straps securely (Renault Megane II), so any rack that
>attaches to the back of the car (tow-hitch options excepted) are out.

Tow hitch racks are far and away the best rear-mounted racks anyway.

>My other choice is to go for roof bars but they seem to look so insecure
>and robust. Is this really the case? I know many people use them week
>after week, but I need some convincing. Anyone got a recommendation or
>particular favourite manufacturer?

Roof-mounted racks are OK but getting more than two bikes on a roof is
always problematic, especially on a tall car. I have a Mont Blanc
Barracuda which is OK (takes all kinds of bikes including the
recumbent) but for the most part the bikes go on the back of the car.

>I'm not going to fit a tow-hitch for reasons of cost, appearance, and
>the additional depreciation that can occur.

Cost, maybe, but when the towball is stowed on my car you can't even
see there is one fitted unless you know what to look for. I'm not
aware of any effect on depreciation either, although I tend to keep my
cars for long enough that this is not a problem anyway.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs

> Roof-mounted racks are OK but getting more than two bikes on a roof is
> always problematic, especially on a tall car.

Good point. Not impossible but the taller the vehicle, the heavier the bike,
lack of help etc can conspire to make loading bikes quite a chore,
especially so if you have any back problems.
Another potential downside is height restriction barriers although I've
never had a problem (yet). But to offset against that is the potential risk
of reversing your bikes into something if they're rear mounted or have
someone else do it to you and also more limitations imposed when looking for
a parking spot.
Swings and roundabouts.....

Pete

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:04:26 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
<[email protected]>:

>Another potential downside is height restriction barriers although I've
>never had a problem (yet). But to offset against that is the potential risk
>of reversing your bikes into something if they're rear mounted or have
>someone else do it to you and also more limitations imposed when looking for
>a parking spot.

The long parking space thing can be an issue, but my Tradekar Take
Four bike rack is made of girders so crushing the bikes is an unlikely
eventuality :)

Guy