Rear rack which holds U-Lock?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Gooserider, Jun 25, 2004.

  1. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    I'm in the process of outfitting my new Ibex as a commuter, and I'm going to
    need a rack. I have a beam rack, but the new bike has eyelets, so.... I
    remember seeing a Kryptonite rack years ago which held a U-Lock, but it's
    not listed on their website. Does anybody know a rack like this?

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm in the process of outfitting my new Ibex as a commuter, and I'm going

    > need a rack. I have a beam rack, but the new bike has eyelets, so.... I
    > remember seeing a Kryptonite rack years ago which held a U-Lock, but it's
    > not listed on their website. Does anybody know a rack like this?

    I've got a Topeak rack that does that. Rattles, though.

  3. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    Gooserider wrote:
    > I'm in the process of outfitting my new Ibex as a commuter, and I'm going to
    > need a rack. I have a beam rack, but the new bike has eyelets, so.... I
    > remember seeing a Kryptonite rack years ago which held a U-Lock, but it's
    > not listed on their website. Does anybody know a rack like this?
    >
    > Mike

    Masterlock has one that goes on your seatpost and will hold some extra
    stuff, not as much as a touring rack but maybe good enough for a commute
    pack. You could probably use the touring rack also and just use this
    thing for a lock holder.

    http://tinyurl.com/2gzjw

    --
    My bike blog:
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  4. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I'm in the process of outfitting my new Ibex as a commuter, and I'm

    going
    > > need a rack. I have a beam rack, but the new bike has eyelets, so.... I
    > > remember seeing a Kryptonite rack years ago which held a U-Lock, but

    it's
    > > not listed on their website. Does anybody know a rack like this?
    > >

    > I've got a Topeak rack that does that. Rattles, though.

    Well, it's either have a rattly rack or keep using my messenger bag. My
    frame's too small to use a mounting bracket, and my handlebar space is taken
    up with a computer, light, and Air Zound. Does the rack hold the lock
    securely, do you like it, and where did you get it?

    Mike

  5. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Mike Kruger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    > > I've got a Topeak rack that does that. Rattles, though.

    >... Does the rack hold the lock
    > securely, do you like it, and where did you get it?

    It holds the lock securely, under the rack itself.
    I don't really use this feature at the moment; that rack's on my commuter
    bike and I just carry a cheap cable with me (real lock left on rack at
    work). The rack itself is fine.
    Don't remember where I got it. Best bet would be to check the Topeak web
    site for the model number and ask around.

  6. Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Well, it's either have a rattly rack or keep using my messenger bag.

    shove it down the back right part of your pants (well, unless you're wearing
    bike shorts that is) .. it works a little better if you wear a belt but
    it's not necessary. i forget it's there sometimes, it never rattles and the
    lock couldn't be more accessible.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  7. On 26 Jun 2004 03:51:04 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Gooserider <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Well, it's either have a rattly rack or keep using my messenger bag.

    >shove it down the back right part of your pants (well, unless you're wearing
    >bike shorts that is) .. it works a little better if you wear a belt but
    >it's not necessary. i forget it's there sometimes, it never rattles and the
    >lock couldn't be more accessible.

    Is that a Kryptonite in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

    -Luigi

  8. Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Is that a Kryptonite in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?

    putting the lock down the front of your pants interferes greatly with your
    ability to pedal.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  9. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "David Reuteler" wrote: putting the lock down the front of your pants
    interferes greatly with your ability to pedal.
    And that ain't all.

  11. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    Thanks everyone for the info. The Topeak rack is called the "OS Rack &
    Lock". I was unable to find it anywhere but from Topeak. It comes with the
    lock, and the price was $54 plus shipping. Not cheap, but not bad for a
    combo. I'll post a review when I get it. Once I get that and my Freddy
    Fenders I'll have a real commuter. LOL