Rear shock replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Colin Anderson

Anyone tried replacing the el cheapo spring based rear shock (dnm firestarter) with a basic Fox
Float air shock? The bike is a cheap 6061 Y frame (Saracen Ikon) but with other good stuff on
it. It has stood up to some VERY rough stuff so far but the rear end is proving difficult to tune
properly it has a 650lb spring at the moment but it's still too bouncy. It came with a 750lb
spring and the damper was non-existent. A new bike is not an option due to limited budget. Any
ideas appreciated. Cheers Colin

I just did sorta the same on my bike ...

Price was a big deal, and fit. Don't know what your eye to eye is, but I was able to replace my
"kind shock" with a NOS Fox Vanilla RX off of eBay. Made all the difference in the world.

When I was pricing out replacements for the shock, the price often was about what I paid for the
entire bike, and I sure didn't want to spend that much. With a little searching though you should be
able to find a good replacement for a reasonable price. The Vanilla RX cost me $51 US.

If your shock is 140mm eye to eye, you might want to do a search on eBay for "Vanilla RX" ...
nycbikes must have about 80 of these is stock, and always has one selling on eBay. From what I can
tell these were OEM on a Cannondale and must be about 3 or 4 years old, but I contacted Fox and they
said they should be fine, just install and go. For what it's worth, mine works just fine.

C.Q.C.

"Colin Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone tried replacing the el cheapo spring based rear shock (dnm firestarter) with a basic Fox
> Float air shock? The bike is a cheap 6061 Y frame (Saracen Ikon) but with other good stuff
on
> it. It has stood up to some VERY rough stuff so far but the rear end is proving difficult to tune
> properly it has a 650lb spring at the moment but it's still too bouncy. It came with a 750lb
> spring and the damper was non-existent. A new bike is not an option due to limited budget. Any
> ideas appreciated. Cheers Colin

Eye to Eye is 165mm. I'm in the UK so many of the shocks on Ebay are unavailable to me. keeping an
eye on a couple though! Cheers Colin

"Q." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> I just did sorta the same on my bike ...
>
> Price was a big deal, and fit. Don't know what your eye to eye is, but I was able to replace my
> "kind shock" with a NOS Fox Vanilla RX off of eBay. Made all the difference in the world.
>
> When I was pricing out replacements for the shock, the price often was
about
> what I paid for the entire bike, and I sure didn't want to spend that
much.
> With a little searching though you should be able to find a good
replacement
> for a reasonable price. The Vanilla RX cost me $51 US.
>
> If your shock is 140mm eye to eye, you might want to do a search on eBay
for
> "Vanilla RX" ... nycbikes must have about 80 of these is stock, and always has one selling on
> eBay. From what I can tell these were OEM on a Cannondale and must be about 3 or 4 years old, but
> I contacted Fox and
they
> said they should be fine, just install and go. For what it's worth, mine works just fine.
>
> C.Q.C.
>
> "Colin Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Anyone tried replacing the el cheapo spring based rear shock (dnm firestarter) with a basic Fox
> > Float air shock? The bike is a cheap 6061 Y frame (Saracen Ikon) but with other good
stuff
> on
> > it. It has stood up to some VERY rough stuff so far but the rear end is proving difficult to
> > tune properly it has a 650lb spring at the moment
but
> > it's still too bouncy. It came with a 750lb spring and the damper was non-existent. A new bike
> > is not an option due to limited budget. Any ideas appreciated. Cheers Colin
> >
>

Status
Not open for further replies.