rear shock replacement

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Maxime Simard, Feb 13, 2003.

  1. Hi, i'm currently looking for a rear shock replacement for my bullit 2000. There a couple of new
    model available for 2003, and one of them is the 5th element. I need a RELIABLE shock and i'm
    wondering did any of you guy's has anything to says on the 5th element. Is it tought enought for
    serious riding. I know there a air leak probleme, or sort of with it. In 2003 is this probleme has
    been corrected. And the preload ring. I've heard that it broke sometimes and they did a bigger one
    for replacement. I just wanted to know your thought on the subject.....

    ps: sorry for the bad english , i'm a frenchy ...

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "maxime simard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, i'm currently looking for a rear shock replacement for my bullit 2000. There a couple of new
    > model available for 2003, and one of them is the 5th element. I need a RELIABLE shock and i'm
    > wondering did any of you guy's
    has
    > anything to says on the 5th element. Is it tought enought for serious riding. I know there a air
    > leak probleme, or sort of with it. In 2003 is this probleme has been corrected. And the preload
    > ring. I've heard that it broke sometimes and they did a bigger one for replacement. I just wanted
    > know your thought on the subject.....

    Jim rides a 2002 with a 5th Element. It takes forever to set it up right for the rider, but once you
    get it dialed in, its like riding on clouds. You should check the air pressure before every ride, it
    does tend to leak a couple of pounds or so, from time to time. You should check air pressure in any
    shock anyways, before a ride.

    I ride a 2000 with a new Fox Vanilla RC. The bike also rides like a dream and doesn't require the
    Phd degree required for setting up like the 5th Element. However, you can upgrade it to make it feel
    like a 5th Element:

    http://www.eastsidefreeride.com/esfr/stories/fox_progressive.shtml

    So, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend for your rear shock and if you feel
    its worth it.

    > ps: sorry for the bad english , i'm a frenchy ...

    Frog :)

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Carla A-G <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "maxime simard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > And the preload ring. I've heard that it
    > > broke sometimes and they did a bigger one for replacement. I just wanted
    > > know your thought on the subject.....
    >
    > Jim rides a 2002 with a 5th Element. It takes forever to set it up right
    for
    > the rider, but once you get it dialed in, its like riding on clouds. You should check the air
    > pressure before every ride, it does tend to leak a couple of pounds or so, from time to time. You
    > should check air pressure
    in
    > any shock anyways, before a ride.

    Or buy coil and be done with it ',;~}

    > I ride a 2000 with a new Fox Vanilla RC. The bike also rides like a dream and doesn't require the
    > Phd degree required for setting up like the 5th Element. However, you can upgrade it to make it
    > feel like a 5th Element:
    >
    > http://www.eastsidefreeride.com/esfr/stories/fox_progressive.shtml
    >
    > So, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend for your rear
    shock
    > and if you feel its worth it.
    >
    > > ps: sorry for the bad english , i'm a frenchy ...
    >
    > Frog :)

    Ribbit cos it's a frog?

    Shaun aRe - this was a ribbiting post...

    > Hi, i'm currently looking for a rear shock replacement for my bullit 2000. There a couple of new
    > model available for 2003, and one of them is the 5th element. I need a RELIABLE shock and i'm
    > wondering did any of you guy's has anything to says on the 5th element. Is it tought enought for
    > serious riding. I know there a air leak probleme, or sort of with it. In 2003 is this probleme has
    > been corrected. And the preload ring. I've heard that it broke sometimes and they did a bigger one
    > for replacement. I just wanted to know your thought on the subject.....
    >
    > ps: sorry for the bad english , i'm a frenchy ...

    If you want reliable you are looking for a coil over. Fox would be a good choice but I've been
    running this giant manufactured OEM shock for almost two years now and it's been great.
    --
    _________________________

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > I ride a 2000 with a new Fox Vanilla RC. The bike also rides like a dream and doesn't require the
    > Phd degree required for setting up like the 5th Element. However, you can upgrade it to make it
    > feel like a 5th Element:
    >
    > http://www.eastsidefreeride.com/esfr/stories/fox_progressive.shtml
    >
    > So, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend for your rear
    shock
    > and if you feel its worth it.

    ...and you've known about this little secret how long? I emailed Fox to see if they offered the
    service in the US.

    Mike

  6. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    > "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I ride a 2000 with a new Fox Vanilla RC. The bike also rides like a
    dream
    > > and doesn't require the Phd degree required for setting up like the 5th Element. However, you
    > > can upgrade it to make it feel like a 5th Element:
    > >
    > > http://www.eastsidefreeride.com/esfr/stories/fox_progressive.shtml
    > >
    > > So, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend for your rear
    > shock
    > > and if you feel its worth it.
    > >

    > ...and you've known about this little secret how long? I emailed Fox to
    see
    > if they offered the service in the US.
    >
    > Mike

    Why not contact Velocycle? You would do pretty good on the exchange rate. Post about what Fox
    responded to you, if you get an answer...

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!