Rear shock upgrade

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Candt, May 21, 2003.

  1. Candt

    Candt Guest

    Is it possible to replace any rear shock with any other (of the right size of course)...

    For example - I have a single pivot 5 inch travel sus with a coilover Fox Vanilla R... I was
    thinking, in a few months, could I upgrade to a shock with a lockout, or one of the new fangled
    systems for keeping fim until you need it to be soft...

    Know what I mean?

    Cheers,

    CandT

    Tags:

  2. CandT wrote:

    > Is it possible to replace any rear shock with any other (of the right size of course)...
    >
    > For example - I have a single pivot 5 inch travel sus with a coilover Fox Vanilla R... I was
    > thinking, in a few months, could I upgrade

    What you need is a shock that has the same "eye-to-eye" distance, the same stroke length, and the
    same size holes for the bolts. That last one you can usually get around by getting apropriate sized
    bushings, but the first two are important.

    There are a number of standard sizes for eye-to-eye and stroke length (like, 6" / 1.5", etc). You
    might get lucky and have one of these...in which case there are lots of possibilities.

    However, if your bike manufacturer got Fox to build an old size for them to fit their bizarre
    geometry, then you're in a little be worse shape.

    Stratos has some info on what fits what...I found an aftermarket shock for my bike there (after
    blowing the stock one twice):

    http://www.stratashock.com/

    Duke

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "CandT" <[email protected]janews.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is it possible to replace any rear shock with any other (of the right size
    of
    > course)...
    >
    > For example - I have a single pivot 5 inch travel sus with a coilover Fox Vanilla R... I was
    > thinking, in a few months, could I upgrade to a shock
    with a
    > lockout, or one of the new fangled systems for keeping fim until you need
    it to
    > be soft...
    >
    > Know what I mean?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > CandT

    eye-to-eye distance is the important factor, which is basically how long the uncompressed shock is.
    Second most important is stroke length - if its too much, you might end up having your rear wheel
    hit the bike frame or seatpost - too little and you'll lose travel.

    However, you do have to be careful about clearances. Some of the new shocks especially have big
    piggyback parts that might hit parts of your frame somewhere in the stroke. I know at least hte
    Manitou Swinger SPV now has a remote reservoir option, which places that part elsewhere on the
    bike, connected with a tube. I'm not sure if you can get them set up that way aftermarket, but my
    guess is you can.

    Jon Bond