Rear spoke nipples squeaking???

ed

Guest
Hi,

I've got a fixie with a near true rear wheel. There is a squeaking
coming from somewhere... I think it is the spoke nipples, everytime
revolution. It has progressively gotten rather loud (for a fixie,
that is). Is this something that I should be worried about? I was
thinking of putting a little synth-lube on the spokes/nipples to see
if it would go away, but wasn't sure if that would have any other side
effects. Any thoughts??

ed said:
Hi,

I've got a fixie with a near true rear wheel. There is a squeaking
coming from somewhere... I think it is the spoke nipples, everytime
revolution. It has progressively gotten rather loud (for a fixie,
that is). Is this something that I should be worried about? I was
thinking of putting a little synth-lube on the spokes/nipples to see
if it would go away, but wasn't sure if that would have any other side
effects. Any thoughts??
Try one drop at the nipple/rim interface and wipe away any excess.
Some may migrate through to the rim tape.
While you are at it, take a close look for any cracks near the spoke holes.

On Jun 18, 9:20 pm, ed <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a fixie with a near true rear wheel. There is a squeaking
> coming from somewhere... I think it is the spoke nipples, everytime
> revolution. It has progressively gotten rather loud (for a fixie,
> that is). Is this something that I should be worried about? I was
> thinking of putting a little synth-lube on the spokes/nipples to see
> if it would go away, but wasn't sure if that would have any other side
> effects. Any thoughts??

Mavic rim? Could be the wedge that holds it together for welding..a
puinch or drill and some glue but libe the nipple to rim interface as
well.

On Jun 18, 10:20 pm, ed <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a fixie with a near true rear wheel. There is a squeaking
> coming from somewhere... I think it is the spoke nipples, everytime
> revolution. It has progressively gotten rather loud (for a fixie,
> that is). Is this something that I should be worried about? I was
> thinking of putting a little synth-lube on the spokes/nipples to see
> if it would go away, but wasn't sure if that would have any other side
> effects. Any thoughts??

If you have a low tension spoke and a heavy rider, you might be
completely unloading a spoke.
*IF* this is the case, you might consider relacing the non-drive side
with reduced or no crossings.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#half-radial

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:20:17 -0700, ed <[email protected]> wrote:

>I was
>thinking of putting a little synth-lube on the spokes/nipples to see
>if it would go away, but wasn't sure if that would have any other side
>effects. Any thoughts??

My girlfriend squeaks when I lube her nipples.

still me wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:20:17 -0700, ed <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I was
>> thinking of putting a little synth-lube on the spokes/nipples to see
>> if it would go away, but wasn't sure if that would have any other
>> side effects. Any thoughts??

> My girlfriend squeaks when I lube her nipples.

She squeaks when the 7th Fleet does it, too.

<eg>

On Jun 19, 6:54 pm, Bill Sornson wrote:
> still me wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:20:17 -0700, ed ? wrote:

> >> I was
> >> thinking of putting a little synth-lube on the spokes/nipples to see
> >> if it would go away, but wasn't sure if that would have any other
> >> side effects. Any thoughts??

> > My girlfriend squeaks when I lube her nipples.

> She squeaks when the 7th Fleet does it, too.
>
> <eg>

"Family newsgroup, buddy" - Bill Sornson

ed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a fixie with a near true rear wheel. There is a squeaking
> coming from somewhere... I think it is the spoke nipples, everytime
> revolution. It has progressively gotten rather loud (for a fixie,
> that is). Is this something that I should be worried about? I was
> thinking of putting a little synth-lube on the spokes/nipples to see
> if it would go away, but wasn't sure if that would have any other side
> effects. Any thoughts??

yes. figure out where the noise is actually coming from. speculating
about a cure when you don't know the cause is merely random.

Johnny Sunset wrote:
> On Jun 19, 6:54 pm, Bill Sornson wrote:
>> still me wrote:

>>> My girlfriend squeaks when I lube her nipples.

>> She squeaks when the 7th Fleet does it, too.
>>
>> <eg>

> "Family newsgroup, buddy" - Bill Sornson

Do I really need to explain when that's applicable and when it's not?

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 20:26:18 -0700, Johnny Sunset
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> > My girlfriend squeaks when I lube her nipples.

>> She squeaks when the 7th Fleet does it, too.
>>
>> <eg>

>"Family newsgroup, buddy" - Bill Sornson

Geez, I just meant that she gets all excited when I stop the creaking
in her wheels and her bike runs quietly, and you guys go interpreting
it as some sort of sexual comment!

On 2007-06-18 20:20:17 -0700, ed <[email protected]> said:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a fixie with a near true rear wheel. There is a squeaking
> coming from somewhere... I think it is the spoke nipples, everytime
> revolution. It has progressively gotten rather loud (for a fixie,
> that is). Is this something that I should be worried about? I was
> thinking of putting a little synth-lube on the spokes/nipples to see
> if it would go away, but wasn't sure if that would have any other side
> effects. Any thoughts??

If it's a Mavic rim, it's probably just the rim. Those damned things
always end up creaking after 5000 miles, on the rear wheel.