Rear sprocket cassette wobble HELP

aviper4u

Oct 20, 2006
Hi

I recently started riding and noticed a wobble on my sprocket cassette when free wheeling while I was lubing my chain.

To get my bike on the road I changed the rear wheel so I know this is fine. My question is can I dismantle the cassette and re grease it etc to fix the wobble.

Gear system is a ten speed shimano non clickable type.

Thanks for help guys.

aviper4u said:
Hi

I recently started riding and noticed a wobble on my sprocket cassette when free wheeling while I was lubing my chain.

To get my bike on the road I changed the rear wheel so I know this is fine. My question is can I dismantle the cassette and re grease it etc to fix the wobble.

Thanks for help guys.

The answer is yes you can , sort of , but that is unlikly to help .
It sounds like somebody forgot a washer or shim when they mounted the cassette and the lock nut can´t clamp down enough to compress the cassette enough to make it stable on the spline .
If you have the tools then it´s an easy job but probably cheaper if you don´t as it could also be that the freewheel is loose or defective or the axle bent so one stop shopping some where that will have all the tools AND the spares to fix anything .

aviper4u said:
Hi

Thanks for help guys.
Some wobble is normal in the radial direction.
Compare some new wheels at a bicycle dealer. If yours is more then you may need to fix it.

looked at a friends mountain bike has wobble also event slighlty worse also talked to bike shop and he said a little is fine but cheaper quality equipment are even like that brand new.

Thanks for replies

Cassettes, especially on the low end, have a little wobble to them. I had to explain that to many customers. It's not a defect, just reality as tolerances are higher on lower-end components. On higher end parts, there is a little wobble but not as noticeable. The only time it would be a problem is if the chain started to bind or ghost shift.