Rear Suspension Help

Maxis

Nov 25, 2003
Hey folks, Great site!!

I'm new here and to MTB. I have a question for those of you with dual suspension MTB. I would like to upgrade my rear suspension but I'm not sure which one to get. I do a lot of trails and nothing else. I'm not sure if I should get Air or Springs, right now I have spring but I need a better one.

Can you guys recommend anything?? oh by the way I'm 6'1 and 175lbs.

THE IMAGE SHOW MY REAR SUSPENSION NOW.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Maxis
Hey folks, Great site!!

I'm new here and to MTB. I have a question for those of you with dual suspension MTB. I would like to upgrade my rear suspension but I'm not sure which one to get. I do a lot of trails and nothing else. I'm not sure if I should get Air or Springs, right now I have spring but I need a better one.

Thanks!

Rear suspensions can be very bike specific so you will need to check with your bike manufacturer what it can accept. Not all rear shocks fit on all bikes and you need to make sure they also make the mounting pins and spacers to fit the shock on the frame. Its not as simple an operation as replacing a front shock. Rear shocks are not cheap either. You might be better off just getting a new frame or new bike. What are you riding?

Originally posted by Hecubus
Rear suspensions can be very bike specific so you will need to check with your bike manufacturer what it can accept. Not all rear shocks fit on all bikes and you need to make sure they also make the mounting pins and spacers to fit the shock on the frame. Its not as simple an operation as replacing a front shock. Rear shocks are not cheap either. You might be better off just getting a new frame or new bike. What are you riding?

I was reading some reviews about rear suspension, I emailed THIS COMPANY and they told me they can fit one of the rear suspension they make for $225.

There are a lot of good reviews about this shock and the price is not bad. I don't have the money to buy a new $1200 bike because I'm moving to Utah next year. Right now I have a THIS BIKE Which I'm very happy with so far. I'm looking to make some upgrades little by little.

Thanks for the help!

I'm going to start sounding like a broken record player raving about SPV shocks but anyway....

If you can find one and its in your price range buy a manitou SPV rear in coil or air, or get a 5th element shock in coil or air

They work really well

Hey folks, Great site!!

Thanks!
How much travel are you looking at is a good question. First its nice to see some other tall riders, but i wish there were some light ones too.(6'1", 145lbs.) But I ride a trek liquid with the fox float w/ brain. Its an air compressor system. For races I set it to -1/4 or -1/2. For jumps i set it to "extended". For an air shock its a beauty. I don't like coil spring shocks, but for some they're really nice. If money is a factor lean towards a coil, but if you've got pleny, go for an air system, just one set not for jumps like mine.
Good luck.

You will need to check three things before you buy any shock

A. that its the same length from mounting to mounting

B. The stroke is the same

C. That it will fit in your frame during the whole travel, ie that a remote reservoir etc will not get torn off

I was reading some reviews about rear suspension, I emailed THIS COMPANY and they told me they can fit one of the rear suspension they make for $225.

There are a lot of good reviews about this shock and the price is not bad. I don't have the money to buy a new $1200 bike because I'm moving to Utah next year. Right now I have a THIS BIKE Which I'm very happy with so far. I'm looking to make some upgrades little by little.

Thanks for the help!

It's been a few months since your original post, but if you haven't already purchased something, definitely consider the Cane Creek. As you can see from the reviews, everyone who's tried it loves it. If they can adapt it for your bike, consider yourself very fortunate. The reason you don't see many people talking about it or recommending it here is that it is not widely advertised and spec'd on very few stock bikes, so it isn't well known.