Rear suspension shock question...

Floyd Sense

Guest
The RST shock that came on my Rans Vivo is leaking fluid rather badly, so am looking at options such
as the Cane Creek AD-10 (always new ones available on eBay at a reasonable price). I have no other
experience with rear shocks, but suppose it's too much to hope that the industry has standardized on
the diameter of the "eye" holes and the eye-to-eye length of the shock.

A careful search on the Web has produced no answers. On the Vivo, the eye-to-eye distance is about
5.5" or 140 mm. I see that the RST 56 shock that's used there seems to be useable over a range of
140 - 190 mm. I guess that any of these shocks has less compression stroke available if you use
them at the short end of the eye-to-eye range. Anyway, can anyone out there tell me if the Cane
Creek AD-10 is usable on the Vivo with the 140 mm length and are the eye holes the same as with the
RST shock?

FS in Angier, NC 2002 Vivo

JFTHOI I googled cane creek. The site shows ad-12 and ad-5 parts. Is the ad-10 an older model?

The web site shows a compatibility chart that includes RANS Gliss and Vivo.

http://www.canecreek.com/site/product/shocks/info/fitment/r.html

"Floyd Sense" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The RST shock that came on my Rans Vivo is leaking fluid rather badly, so
am
> looking at options such as the Cane Creek AD-10 (always new ones available on eBay at a reasonable
> price). I have no other experience with rear shocks, but suppose it's too much to hope that the
> industry has
standardized
> on the diameter of the "eye" holes and the eye-to-eye length of the shock.
>
> A careful search on the Web has produced no answers. On the Vivo, the eye-to-eye distance is about
> 5.5" or 140 mm. I see that the RST 56 shock that's used there seems to be useable over a range of
> 140 - 190 mm. I
guess
> that any of these shocks has less compression stroke available if you use them at the short end of
> the eye-to-eye range. Anyway, can anyone out there tell me if the Cane Creek AD-10 is usable on
> the Vivo with the 140
mm
> length and are the eye holes the same as with the RST shock?
>
> FS in Angier, NC 2002 Vivo

Yes - it appears that the AD-10 is an older model. The chart references 2000 and 2001 Vivo, doesn't
mention 2002. There were frame changes about the same time that they went down-level on the Vivo
components, so don't know if it's safe to assume that the shock would fit.

"harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> JFTHOI I googled cane creek. The site shows ad-12 and ad-5 parts. Is the ad-10 an older model?
>
> The web site shows a compatibility chart that includes RANS Gliss and
Vivo.

> http://www.canecreek.com/site/product/shocks/info/fitment/r.html

"Floyd Sense" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:5%[email protected]:

> Yes - it appears that the AD-10 is an older model. The chart references 2000 and 2001 Vivo,
> doesn't mention 2002. There were frame changes about the same time that they went down-level on
> the Vivo components, so don't know if it's safe to assume that the shock would fit.
>

> "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> JFTHOI I googled cane creek. The site shows ad-12 and ad-5 parts. Is the ad-10 an older model?
>>
>> The web site shows a compatibility chart that includes RANS Gliss and
> Vivo.
>>
>> http://www.canecreek.com/site/product/shocks/info/fitment/r.html

I've an AD-10 on the rear of one of my trikes. They were replaced by the AD-12 in the Cane Creek
line. Superficially they look the same, but there are likely internal differences. They come in a
plethora of lengths. IIRCC, as short as 145mm. You should match the length of the old shock,
otherwise it will change ride height/angle. Take a look at MTBreview.com for more info on shocks,
where to buy, used, etc.

happy trails, rorschandt

-- http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/174801833 <A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]"