Rear suspension shock question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Floyd Sense

The RST shock that came on my Rans Vivo is leaking fluid rather badly, so am looking at options such
as the Cane Creek AD-10 (always new ones available on eBay at a reasonable price). I have no other
experience with rear shocks, but suppose it's too much to hope that the industry has standardized on
the diameter of the "eye" holes and the eye-to-eye length of the shock.

A careful search on the Web has produced no answers. On the Vivo, the eye-to-eye distance is about
5.5" or 140 mm. I see that the RST 56 shock that's used there seems to be useable over a range of
140 - 190 mm. I guess that any of these shocks has less compression stroke available if you use
them at the short end of the eye-to-eye range. Anyway, can anyone out there tell me if the Cane
Creek AD-10 is usable on the Vivo with the 140 mm length and are the eye holes the same as with the
RST shock?

FS in Angier, NC 2002 Vivo

JFTHOI I googled cane creek. The site shows ad-12 and ad-5 parts. Is the ad-10 an older model?

The web site shows a compatibility chart that includes RANS Gliss and Vivo.

http://www.canecreek.com/site/product/shocks/info/fitment/r.html

"Floyd Sense" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The RST shock that came on my Rans Vivo is leaking fluid rather badly, so
am
> looking at options such as the Cane Creek AD-10 (always new ones available on eBay at a reasonable
> price). I have no other experience with rear shocks, but suppose it's too much to hope that the
> industry has
standardized
> on the diameter of the "eye" holes and the eye-to-eye length of the shock.
>
> A careful search on the Web has produced no answers. On the Vivo, the eye-to-eye distance is about
> 5.5" or 140 mm. I see that the RST 56 shock that's used there seems to be useable over a range of
> 140 - 190 mm. I
guess
> that any of these shocks has less compression stroke available if you use them at the short end of
> the eye-to-eye range. Anyway, can anyone out there tell me if the Cane Creek AD-10 is usable on
> the Vivo with the 140
mm
> length and are the eye holes the same as with the RST shock?
>
> FS in Angier, NC 2002 Vivo

Yes - it appears that the AD-10 is an older model. The chart references 2000 and 2001 Vivo, doesn't
mention 2002. There were frame changes about the same time that they went down-level on the Vivo
components, so don't know if it's safe to assume that the shock would fit.

"harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> JFTHOI I googled cane creek. The site shows ad-12 and ad-5 parts. Is the ad-10 an older model?
>
> The web site shows a compatibility chart that includes RANS Gliss and
Vivo.
>
> http://www.canecreek.com/site/product/shocks/info/fitment/r.html

"Floyd Sense" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:5%[email protected]:

> Yes - it appears that the AD-10 is an older model. The chart references 2000 and 2001 Vivo,
> doesn't mention 2002. There were frame changes about the same time that they went down-level on
> the Vivo components, so don't know if it's safe to assume that the shock would fit.
>
>
> "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> JFTHOI I googled cane creek. The site shows ad-12 and ad-5 parts. Is the ad-10 an older model?
>>
>> The web site shows a compatibility chart that includes RANS Gliss and
> Vivo.
>>
>> http://www.canecreek.com/site/product/shocks/info/fitment/r.html
>>
>>
>
>
>

I've an AD-10 on the rear of one of my trikes. They were replaced by the AD-12 in the Cane Creek
line. Superficially they look the same, but there are likely internal differences. They come in a
plethora of lengths. IIRCC, as short as 145mm. You should match the length of the old shock,
otherwise it will change ride height/angle. Take a look at MTBreview.com for more info on shocks,
where to buy, used, etc.

happy trails, rorschandt

-- http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/174801833 <A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]"

Status
Not open for further replies.