Rear tire pressure 140 PSI? Really?

tbuc

Jun 27, 2004
I was told by my LBS that as a 200 lb. rider I should have 140 PSI in my rear tire (road bike)The recommended inflation is 120 PSI. Also, since my wife is a smaller rider (about 115 lbs. the LBS recommended around 105 PSI rear tire inflation. I have no reason to doubt this info, but has anyone else recieved similar recommendations?

tbuc said:
I was told by my LBS that as a 200 lb. rider I should have 140 PSI in my rear tire (road bike)The recommended inflation is 120 PSI. Also, since my wife is a smaller rider (about 115 lbs. the LBS recommended around 105 PSI rear tire inflation. I have no reason to doubt this info, but has anyone else recieved similar recommendations?

Tire size please.

tbuc said:
Always doubt or flush BS.Run 120 and if you don't get pinch flats you are good.You may even be able to run less.The lighter wifie has no issue with the lower pressure.

For that size tire, 120 should be more than enough. 140 is pushing the safe limit for most rims.

artmichalek said:
For that size tire, 120 should be more than enough. 140 is pushing the safe limit for most rims.

Agree this is pushing limits on most rims. The LBS has no business advising to exceed the max pressure rating on the tire sidewall in any case...that's just dumb.

Took me many years to learn that the max rating on the tire wasn't the pressure I had to use. Ride, handling, roadholding, freedom from punctures, and even rolling resistance on most surfaces are all better at lower pressures. At 170 lbs, I run 100-105 psi on 23 mm tires.

tbuc said:

Bad idea...

tbuc said:
Your LBS sounds like they have a real rocket scientist giving (bad) advice. Is there a "Vote for Kerry" sign in the front window?

skydive69 said:
Your LBS sounds like they have a real rocket scientist giving (bad) advice. Is there a "Vote for Kerry" sign in the front window?

Actually, the guy was wearing a "W-04" pin.

. . . and even rolling resistance on most surfaces are all better at lower pressures.

What type of road surfaces allow one to use lower pressure to achieve lower rolling resistance?

Thanks,
davef

davef said:
. . . and even rolling resistance on most surfaces are all better at lower pressures.

What type of road surfaces allow one to use lower pressure to achieve lower rolling resistance?

Thanks,
davef
On rough road surfaces, a lower pressure gives lower resistance. If you think of the bumps on the road as little hills, a highly inflated tire has to ride up over them, while they just sink into a softer one. Even on what you could consider a smooth road, the rolling resistance on a 23mm tire stops going down at about 120psi.

Perhaps the LBS is just looking to sell some rims? :rolleyes:

boudreaux said:
Always doubt or flush BS.Run 120 and if you don't get pinch flats you are good.You may even be able to run less.The lighter wifie has no issue with the lower pressure.

So tire size does'nt matter?

davef said:

Thanks,
davef
Agree with ArtM reply. I'd say a "rough" road surface is any where you feel buzzing or surface imperfections through the handlebars...basically, any surface other than very smooth asphalt paving. We have a lot of tar-and-gravel and asphalt roads that certainly fit the category where 100-105 psi works better, for my 170 lbs anyway.

I first tried lower pressures when I got Michelin Pro Race tires a couple of years ago, because they show a recommended inflation range on the tire from 87 to 116 psi rather than just a max safety rating like most tires. Since then, I've read several articles (Velonews, maybe?) endorsing lower pressures.

tbuc said:
I was told by my LBS that as a 200 lb. rider I should have 140 PSI in my rear tire (road bike)The recommended inflation is 120 PSI. Also, since my wife is a smaller rider (about 115 lbs. the LBS recommended around 105 PSI rear tire inflation.
I weigh 125 lbs and race (michelin pro race, 23) with 120 psi for road races, crits, whatever, although I have been known to push it up to about 130 for a short TT, mainly for psychological reasons. For training I use whatever tires are handy - Specialized, Michelin, leftover racing tires, whatever - and although I pump them up to 120, I don't top them up every day and do a lot of riding on them at around 100-110 without any problems at all. Better tires with high thread counts will perform well at the lower pressures without causing any significant rolling resistance penalty (some would say they are actually faster at slightly lower pressures). If you find that you're getting pinch flats, then you'll need to go to a higher pressure, and at 200 lbs I would guess that might be a concern at 100 psi or so. Most tires will handle 140 psi without any problem. The problems usually come from how the tire fits on the rim, and that seems to vary from tire to tire and rim to rim. It is most definitely possible to roll a foldable clincher off the rim in a criterium so that the tube blows, and it is not a pretty sight.

packmagician said:
I weigh 125 lbs and race (michelin pro race, 23) with 120 psi for road races, crits, whatever, although I have been known to push it up to about 130 for a short TT, mainly for psychological reasons. For training I use whatever tires are handy - Specialized, Michelin, leftover racing tires, whatever - and although I pump them up to 120, I don't top them up every day and do a lot of riding on them at around 100-110 without any problems at all. Better tires with high thread counts will perform well at the lower pressures without causing any significant rolling resistance penalty (some would say they are actually faster at slightly lower pressures). If you find that you're getting pinch flats, then you'll need to go to a higher pressure, and at 200 lbs I would guess that might be a concern at 100 psi or so. Most tires will handle 140 psi without any problem. The problems usually come from how the tire fits on the rim, and that seems to vary from tire to tire and rim to rim. It is most definitely possible to roll a foldable clincher off the rim in a criterium so that the tube blows, and it is not a pretty sight.

I'm 192 on 23's running 105-110 without a pinch flat or any flat.

I weigh 160 and run 120-160 psi on 700x22 tubulars. Depends where i plan to ride on what I pump them up to. smooth roads, high psi, bad roads, low psi. Indoors=as high as I can
(it is kind of interesting watching me try to get the last pounds in, if I weigh 160 and try to pump a bike tire to 160 psi and my pump cyclinder has aprx 1 inch surface...)

the pressures on sidewalls are not worth reading... read sheldon brown's site. Experiment around.

kgruscho said:
I weigh 160 and run 120-160 psi on 700x22 tubulars. Depends where i plan to ride on what I pump them up to. smooth roads, high psi, bad roads, low psi. Indoors=as high as I can
(it is kind of interesting watching me try to get the last pounds in, if I weigh 160 and try to pump a bike tire to 160 psi and my pump cyclinder has aprx 1 inch surface...)

the pressures on sidewalls are not worth reading... read sheldon brown's site. Experiment around.

Sheldons getting old and the stuff on his site like others are not the bible or writen in stone.