Rear view recording device (e.g. cycliq or varia radar)

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by FRH, May 14, 2020.

1. FRH

FRH New Member

Opinions recommendations on which is a better bang for the buck/idea - Varia radar to add to my awareness that vehicles are approaching or a recording device in the unfortunate incident that I get taken out by a vehicle from behind. Note: I'm not saying that in either case that I won't use a mirror, visually checking & keeping my ears tuned. This is just to add another level of awareness/safety.

Tags:

2. FRH

FRH New Member

I forgot to add the other option or Cylciq - video capture

3. Billy Dean

Billy Dean New Member

I've heard of devices like that but I've satisfied myself with a large mirror from Bike Eye. Tried the helmet mounted ones and even the expensive ones tend to vibrate more than my old eyes can deal with.

I'm not overly paranoid out there on the road but I keep my head on a swivel. My wife has told me more than once... "Don't you dare come home dead or I will kill you!" Yikes! Twice dead!

Hope somebody answers your questions with a recommendation or two. People in cars see us out there on a bike but I think what their brain tells them is... "I didn't see a car."

4. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Active Member

Maybe a mirror, but you can pretty much hear if a big truck or revving vehicle is coming. I don't see the point of a radar system but if it makes you happy or feel more safe then go for it.

I think a bright, flashing rear light is more effective than either.

I was hit once from behind. The driver was towing something wider than his pickup and it hit me as he went by. I remember thinking at the time...geeze, that was pretty close (as his truck went by) then wham, something hit me on my left shoulder - it was some kind of construction equipment. Somehow I didn't go down but I lost control of the bike and somehow ended up off the road on the RHS near the sidewalk (I think I must have gone up a driveway entrance). I was heading straight at a concrete street light pole but somehow I miraculously avoided that too. I was so lucky that day (after the initial collision) and I still get a cold feeling when I think about how much worse it could have been. I managed to catch up to the pickup at a traffic light to have some words with the guy before a bit of shock set in and I had to sit down. It was a four lane road - two lanes in either direction but no shoulders. The guy said he didn't change lanes (like he should have done) because there was a car beside him - he couldn't say why he didn't slow down to wait until it was clear. He didn't know he had hit me - it was confirmed to him by another vehicle riding behind his who also worked for the same company. He was pretty shocked actually - I sure hope he learned something.

Anyways...would a mirror or radar have helped here?...I don't think it would have because there was nowhere to escape. That said, when formerly commuting to work (I am retired now) I would be fearful whenever a pickup truck towing a flatbed with gardening equipment would go by...those flatbeds were almost always wider than the pickup and the drivers never left enough room. A mirror might have helped in those situations I suppose.

I did try a helmet mirror at some point many years ago but I found it to be a big distraction.