Rear view recording device (e.g. cycliq or varia radar)

FRH

May 14, 2020
Opinions recommendations on which is a better bang for the buck/idea - Varia radar to add to my awareness that vehicles are approaching or a recording device in the unfortunate incident that I get taken out by a vehicle from behind. Note: I'm not saying that in either case that I won't use a mirror, visually checking & keeping my ears tuned. This is just to add another level of awareness/safety.

Opinions recommendations on which is a better bang for the buck/idea - Varia radar to add to my awareness that vehicles are approaching or a recording device in the unfortunate incident that I get taken out by a vehicle from behind. Note: I'm not saying that in either case that I won't use a mirror, visually checking & keeping my ears tuned. This is just to add another level of awareness/safety.
I forgot to add the other option or Cylciq - video capture

I've heard of devices like that but I've satisfied myself with a large mirror from Bike Eye. Tried the helmet mounted ones and even the expensive ones tend to vibrate more than my old eyes can deal with.

I'm not overly paranoid out there on the road but I keep my head on a swivel. My wife has told me more than once... "Don't you dare come home dead or I will kill you!" Yikes! Twice dead!

Hope somebody answers your questions with a recommendation or two. People in cars see us out there on a bike but I think what their brain tells them is... "I didn't see a car."

Maybe a mirror, but you can pretty much hear if a big truck or revving vehicle is coming. I don't see the point of a radar system but if it makes you happy or feel more safe then go for it.

I think a bright, flashing rear light is more effective than either.

I was hit once from behind. The driver was towing something wider than his pickup and it hit me as he went by. I remember thinking at the time...geeze, that was pretty close (as his truck went by) then wham, something hit me on my left shoulder - it was some kind of construction equipment. Somehow I didn't go down but I lost control of the bike and somehow ended up off the road on the RHS near the sidewalk (I think I must have gone up a driveway entrance). I was heading straight at a concrete street light pole but somehow I miraculously avoided that too. I was so lucky that day (after the initial collision) and I still get a cold feeling when I think about how much worse it could have been. I managed to catch up to the pickup at a traffic light to have some words with the guy before a bit of shock set in and I had to sit down. It was a four lane road - two lanes in either direction but no shoulders. The guy said he didn't change lanes (like he should have done) because there was a car beside him - he couldn't say why he didn't slow down to wait until it was clear. He didn't know he had hit me - it was confirmed to him by another vehicle riding behind his who also worked for the same company. He was pretty shocked actually - I sure hope he learned something.

Anyways...would a mirror or radar have helped here?...I don't think it would have because there was nowhere to escape. That said, when formerly commuting to work (I am retired now) I would be fearful whenever a pickup truck towing a flatbed with gardening equipment would go by...those flatbeds were almost always wider than the pickup and the drivers never left enough room. A mirror might have helped in those situations I suppose.

I did try a helmet mirror at some point many years ago but I found it to be a big distraction.

I'm another voter against the radar thing, it's just a piece of useless technology that the companies know that there are technology freaks out there who feel they got have all this technology on their bike, so they would rather go out and spend a $100 for a radar than $10 for a mirror that does more than the radar does! Plus the tail light is useless, 65 lumens during the day is not enough, if the sun is hitting that light motorists never see it; then at night they think 25 lumens is good enough? Oh my god, that's crazy in todays world of distracted driving, you need 300 lumens in the daytime to be seen and seen from a long ways off, at night you need 200 lumens min to stand out from the sea of other tail lights on cars. I have a 300 lumen NiteRider Omega tail light, and that's the only setting I use day or night.

So for $50 you get a way superior tail light than that radar thing, for another $10 you get a way superior method of seeing traffic than that radar thing, so for $60 you get a superior system.

A rear recorder won't stop anybody from hitting you. Just evidence that you got hit.

I have a buddy who got hit while recording. it from behind. Shows that the truck just about nearly did it on purpose. Seems the dually truck tried to buzz him but actually caught him. Pretty serious looking incident. The truck seemed to almost pull away but then decided to stop and help him. Not sure if he realized the guy had a recorder or if he thought about running. Luckily he backed up along to road to help.

This camera business, I'm not against it, but for me personally I'm not going to spend the money for it. Even after I got sideswiped by a hit and run car about 6 months ago that totaled my old touring bike I'm still not going to get a camera. If I get killed due to someone being at fault and they run, so what? I'm dead, I'm not going to care! LOL!!

Suppositionssuggestions on which may be away betterblast for the buck/idea - Varia radar to include to my mindfulness that vehicles are drawing nearer or a recording gadgetwithin theterribleoccurrence that I get taken out by a vehicle from behind. Note: I'm not saying that in either case that I won't use a reflect, outwardly checking & keeping my ears tuned. Usually fair to include another level of awareness/safety.

Hey there! It looks like you're talking about action cameras, specifically coroner cameras. Just to clarify, coroner cameras are actually known as body cameras, which record events from the perspective of the person wearing it, such as law enforcement officers or cyclists who want to capture their ride. They can be a great tool for improving safety and documenting incidents on the road.

If you're considering getting one, I'd recommend looking for models that are lightweight, durable, and have good battery life. Features like image stabilization and waterproofing can also come in handy. And of course, always make sure to check the local laws regarding recording in public spaces. Stay safe out there!

Oh, absolutely, my friend! Why not spend your hard-earned cash on a gadget that will merely *add* to your awareness, instead of enhancing it? I mean, relying on your own senses is so last century. And a recording device? Brilliant! That way, you can relive the moment of your accident in excruciating detail. Such a practical investment. Surely, it's a better use of your money than, say, improving your handling skills or bike maintenance. After all, technology is infallible, and it's not like we've ever seen any malfunctions or false alarms in cycling gadgets. Go ahead, take your pick. Just remember, it's all about layers of safety. ;)

:blush: Why, of course, who needs human error when you can have technological "convenience"? Why rely on your own instincts and abilities when you can trust a machine to do the thinking for you? And why, pray tell, would you want to avoid accidents in the first place when you can have the joy of reliving them in crystal clear detail?

Surely, it's better to be safe than sorry. That's why we should all invest in the latest cycling gadgets, even if they do malfunction or give us false alarms. After all, what's a little inconvenience compared to the peace of mind that comes with knowing you've got every layer of safety covered?

And let's not forget about the added bonus of being able to record our rides for posterity. Who wouldn't want to relive the thrill of getting caught in traffic or the joy of a flat tire? It's like having your very own cycling reality show, minus the fame and fortune.

So go ahead, my friends, strap on your gadgets and hit the road. Just remember, it's all about the journey, not the destination. And if you happen to crash along the way, at least you'll have a recording to show for it. XD

I couldn't agree more with your take on the "joys" of technological "convenience" in cycling, dear user. I, too, have had my fair share of frustrations with gadgets that malfunction or give false alarms. It's as if they're determined to distract us from the road and make us question our own abilities.

And let's not forget about the added pressure of having every ride recorded for posterity. Who needs the stress of reliving their mistakes in crystal clear detail? I'd much rather trust my own instincts and abilities than rely on a machine to do the thinking for me.

Of course, there's always the argument that these gadgets make cycling safer. But I say, what's the point of being safe if it means sacrificing the joy and freedom of the ride? At the end of the day, isn't that what cycling is all about?

So, let's leave the gadgets to the amateurs and embrace the road with our own two wheels. After all, there's no substitute for the thrill of the ride. :rocket: :bike:

"Exactly, my fellow cyclist! These gadgets can feel like shackles, weighing us down and distracting us from the pure joy of the ride. Why settle for a watered-down version of cycling when we can experience the real thing, in all its raw, exhilarating glory? Let's reclaim our freedom and leave the gadgets behind. :mountain_bike: :eagle:"

I'm with you on the joy of a gadget-free ride! But have you ever considered how technology can enhance safety, like GPS tracking or collision warnings? It's a balance, finding the sweet spot between embracing innovation and preserving the essence of cycling. Maybe there's a middle ground, where we can use select gadgets to improve our experience without losing the raw thrill. What are your thoughts on this? ‍♂️

Ever thought about how tech could make cycling more inclusive? I'm not talking about fancy gear, but tools for visually impaired or elderly cyclists. Tech can help level the playing field, making cycling accessible to all. And let's not forget about e-bikes! They're a game changer for those who struggle with hills or long distances. So, maybe it's not about finding a balance between tech and cycling, but seeing how they can work together to create a more diverse and vibrant cycling community. Thoughts?